View Full Version : Pictures of my full rig stabilizer

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 8th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Some of you might already know that I was bulding my own Steadicam-like device.

I have roughly completed it (and I am proud!!!) and I just want to share some pictures with you :)

http://sunens.uqac.ca/~jparchib/stab/

Enjoy!

John Sandel
December 8th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Wow! Looks great, Jean-Philippe. Are you happy with the stability?

JS

Hayden Rivers
December 8th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Looks fantastic. Upload some clips.

Tony Hall
December 8th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Awesome...

if you don't mind me asking... what's the item number of that small quick release plate?

Leigh Wanstead
December 8th, 2004, 12:32 PM
How much is the cost except monitor on your stablizer if you don't mind me asking?

James Emory
December 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Great work Jean-Philippe! How long did it take to build?

Charles King
December 8th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Nice job Jean.

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 8th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Wow! so much comments! thank you very much guys!

Jonh: yes, I am more than happy, the stability is awesome! But I never tried other stabilizers before, so I can't compare. So far, the rig's stability outperform the operator's skills :)

Hayden: Clips will follow!

Tony : It's the Bogen / Manfrotto 577 Quick release adapter. You can order it from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=241139&is=REG

Leigh: So far, I have spent between 300 and 400$ in material.

James: I am working on it only on my free time with one of my uncle since May. So far, we have worked 47 hours on it at two people... so almost 100 hours.

Charles: A good comment coming from you, the reference in the homebuilding community, is always good to hear :)

Christopher Go
December 8th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Hey, Jean-Philippe, that looks amazing, comes off as professionally done! Looking forward to seeing some footage.

Jon Omiatek
December 8th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Did you design it yourself or did you buy plans?

Cody's or Dvcamera...

I am thinking of buying a set but again I might try it myself. I am currently working on making a RC remote tripod based on Cody's design.

Thanks,

Jon

Jean-Philippe Archibald
December 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Hi Jon!

In fact, I bought the Cody's plans, and the Charles King's book "Stabilizing a dream". These two books are invaluable to help you understand the concepts behind this kind of devices.

So the vest and the sled are very close to the Cody's plans, but since I have access to any machining tools I wanted, I completly redisigned the arm and the adjustable socket block to fits my needs.

I strongly recommend these two books mentionned above. They worth every bucks!!!

Lars Gustav
December 8th, 2004, 09:49 PM
<<<--In fact, I bought the Cody's plans, and the Charles King's book "Stabilizing a dream". These two books are invaluable to help you understanding the concepts behind this kind of devices.
So the vest and the sled are very close to the Cody's plans, but since I have access to any machining tools I want, I completly redisigned the arm and the adjustable socket block to fits my needs.
I strongly recommend these two books mentionned above. They worth every bucks!!! -->>>

Congrats on your rig. Looks damn good. BTW i do also reccommend those two books. Some really good info. Also, look out for the othetr two books Charles is coming out with for beginners.

Cody as also come out with an new plan on building a 3A-style arm look-a-like.

Mike Hardcastle
December 18th, 2004, 05:00 AM
excellent!!! its really inspiring....

Simon Wilks
December 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM
Awesome rig. Congrats. You must feel relief to finally completing it.Would love to see a clip of it in action.