View Full Version : Portable DVD writer good for output?

Ong Wan Shu
December 16th, 2004, 08:49 PM
hi all,

I know you may wonder why dun i just get a damn internal DVD writer, well personal reasons...arrgghh..

but has anybody tried using a portable DVD writer to output your finished projects? eg. from Premiere Pro? is it gonna be amazingly slow?

also, do i need a seperate software for a portable DVD burner to output a project or Premiere Pro can do it by itself?

thanks!

Ed Smith
December 17th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Hi Ong,

An external Protable DVD writer should be just the same as an Internal writer in terms of performance. Obviously they are a little more expensive than internal ones.

Premiere Pro should be able to output directly to your portable DVD writer. Do you have a Model you are particularly interested in?

Ong Wan Shu
December 17th, 2004, 08:34 AM
apparantly i dun...as i am now in china, a lot of brands cannot be found here. any recommendations?

thanks

Rob Lohman
December 21st, 2004, 06:07 AM
Make sure your computer has USB2 ports, if not get a card in it
that does have it or get a firewire burner (not sure if that exists)!

Ed Smith
December 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Good point Rob.

I don't use any external DVD writers. But the La-cie drives seem OK from what I hear.

try a google search, there are many types of external writers, some with USB2, others with firewire, some with both.

Moe Belli
January 16th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I'm not sure what you want to output to your external burner, raw AVI data, Premiere projects or MPEG2/DVD.

If it's the later, an external burner is fine. Premiere exports out and burns to DVD and I think this is what you are talking about.

I have a Pioneer A07 burner inside an inexpensive dual firewire/USB case and talke it with me wherever I need it. Works fantastic. No problems, as good as an internal burner. These firewire/USB2 cases are the best PC investment I've ever made, cheap and useful. I have 5 cases with firewire drives that I use as well.

MB