View Full Version : Black light

Gabrielle Talley
December 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I'm shooting a Christmas play that is employing the use of black lights. When I am filming, the lights give off a green neon glow! I am using 2 GL1s. How can I adjust the camera to get rid of that green glow?

Tony Hall
December 19th, 2004, 06:47 AM
I've never tried to use black lights, but the first thing that comes to mind would be to white balance to a normal flourescent lamp before using the black light. That should take care of the green.

Gabrielle Talley
December 19th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I white balanced to a white t-shirt, but I'll try white balancing to a light. Maybe it'll work. If not, I'll just keep the area that is showing green off of the screen. Thanks!

Andre De Clercq
December 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Black light is UV light which is not seen by CCD camcorders only the "glow" (fluorescence) on some objects (shirts...) shows in the visible spectrum and is almost monochromatic. So this cannot be "white balanced", unless you go for B&W pics.

Gabrielle Talley
December 20th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Would a UV filter take care of the neon green glow problem that the camcorders were picking up?

Andre De Clercq
December 21st, 2004, 04:07 AM
No Gabrielle, the UV light is being converted into green light. So the light that the cam ''sees'' is real green.