View Full Version : Monopods with feet

Randy Johnson
September 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I bought a Bogen monopod with the feet that screw on from the bottom. I use it on weddings but when I let it go it slowly rocks back and fourth. I like the portability I have a small bogen head on it now. I am expecting too much from a monopod or is there one that doesnt rock? I dont mind spending more for it.

Sean Seah
November 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Do u have the Manfrotto HDV561?

Don Bloom
November 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I've been using a 682B for a good number of years and yes it will sway slowly if youtouch it at all. No there is no way for a monopod to stand with out some sway. It's the nature of the design. One leg won't hold like 3. Too much weight on top. (at least I haven't seen or used one)

I do use it for 2nd camera placement sometimes when I need to "hide" it and sometimes at a reception when I feel too tired to use my DV Multirig or when I want to get an overhead boom type shot.

Dave Blackhurst
November 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I picked up a 562B - one of the ones with the Fluid cartridge in the base, and three small feet... surprisingly stable and not too much sway becuse the feet are short and sturdy.

Not something I'd walk away from with a camera on it, but far more effective than I expected, and better than a monpod (different brand) that had the screw in spindly legs - wobbles galore with that one...

The 562 with the fluid cartridge (and I presume the other similar Manfrotto offerings) is surprisingly effective and stable, as are the stubby legs. Way overkill for my needs, but effective enough I decided to keep it around once I tried it!

Dan Gunn
November 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I wrestled with the same problem... did not like the "sway". My solution was to take my Gitzo CF tripod and not spread the legs completely. I wanted an 18" footprint but one leg or the other was always being knocked out of position. A wooden board was cut into a circle and is placed among the legs just above the first (highest) leg joint. A notch is cut into the wood for each leg. A length of velcro is wrapped around the circumference to hold each leg in it's place. Very quick to set up, very stable and cheap.