View Full Version : Animal Planet - camera on a bird

Keith Loh
December 22nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Someone get this eagle into the union!

http://media.animal.discovery.com/convergence/spyonthewild/birdtech/birdtech.html

Bryan Mitchell
December 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
One of the coolest things I've ever seen, I wish there was more video to watch!

Keith Loh
December 22nd, 2004, 01:57 PM
I guess you'd have to watch the actual show. I don't get that channel :(

Dylan Couper
December 22nd, 2004, 03:36 PM
PIMP with a capitol IMP.

Rhett Allen
December 22nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
In the clip with the dogfight they said that they could "for the first time" show this from the birds perspective and yet they never did! They cut away every single time the other bird (buzzard or whatever) was just about in clear view and went with a wide shot from the ground! Do you think maybe they didn't get a release from the other bird and therefore couldn't use their face on TV? They could have put a little blur or even better one of those black boxes over the eyes!

hahaha

great clips! Thanks for the link!

James Emory
December 22nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
That was a great program! I watched it twice on the night it premiered. How about the 1" antenna on the bees for tracking their path from the hive to the flower, a straight line each time, even with crosswinds. I suspect that the military will be looking into the bird cameras now for super duper stealth intel gathering. Are there any eagles in Iraq? I guess they would have to use native birds so it wouldn't be so unusual. I wonder if PETA will have something to say about this?

Rhett. Although very short, there was a shot of the other bird closing in but not nearly long enough to demonstrate what they were talking about. It was when they were describing how the eagle barrel rolls to show the other bird its talons as a warning.

I saw a dog's face blurred on COPS once, pretty funny.

Jett Evans
January 5th, 2005, 02:46 AM
WOW! this is, i think, truly amazing. Its great that they can get that type of footage, and how good the camera is for weighing about an onunce.

I agree about the aireal dogfight, and how there should have been more "perspective" views, but i think that the camera got shaken, and theres nothing more then snow.

I wonder what other animals they are going to do this to next, a dolphin? A lion or tiger catching its prey? It busts the doors wide open!

James Emory
January 5th, 2005, 02:57 AM
I remember seeing a special on great white sharks where the biologists harpooned one with a cable a few feet long with a hydrodynamic camera housing attached. The camera actually flew right behind and above the dorsal fin showing the hunting and cruising behaviors of the shark. After a few hours or days, a special link in the cable dissolved in the salt water allowing the camera housing to float to the surface which is how they were able to retrieve the footage with a radio beacon.

Keith Loh
January 5th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I also recall a seal cam which was pretty confusing.

Bryan Roberts
January 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Absolutely amazing, gorgeous footage..... wow.

James Emory
January 10th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Now if Wescam could just figure out how to make a miniature gyro stabilizer and harness it to the underside of these birds.