View Full Version : MA300 XLR microphone adapter

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Alan Craven
March 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I have bought a Beachtek box, despite the considerable extra cost because my XM2 is always used outdoors and when I saw what the MA300 looked like fitted to the camera hot shoe I was sure that it would not be long before it took a knock and was damaged. The probability is that the force transmitted to the camera hot shoe would cause damage to that also.

Maybe I am clumsy - no, on reflection, I AM clumsy. But it still looks vulnerable up there.

David Ennis
March 9th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm one of the ones who always recommends beachteks over the MA300, and true, I've never owned an MA300.

My recommendation is based upon the obvious (once you've looked) differences in functionality for the same price. No one has ever rebutted that argument. I don't believe I've ever mentioned fragility.

Mathieu Ghekiere
March 9th, 2006, 02:18 PM
You can buy a beachteck with phantom power, whereas the MA300 - correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't have the ability to provide phantom power.
And it's better and more solid built.

Timothy Stidham
March 10th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Thanks everyone! I had to go out of town for a meeting, so I'm sorry to reply so late. All of your input is thoughtful and helpful. Phantom power is something I should consider. Does the Beachtek work well with an attached tripod plate? I use the 501 Bogen/Manfrotto head and leave the plate on my GL2 all the time. I assume the Beachtek would attach to the camera and the plate would attach to the Beachtek, right? Is the Beachtek likely to get damaged if I leave it attached when I'm attaching to the tripod? Does it start to look like a bad ice cream sandwich with two things on the bottom? :) Seriously, does the camera balance okay handheld with both attached? Anyone else with experience?
Thank you again to all.

Tim

Timothy Stidham
March 10th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Okay, I'm starting to lean toward the Beachtek...Is the Beachtek a lot better than the Studio1? Since I have the Studio1 (similar to the Beachtek, but doesn't mount), I was looking at the MA300 as an alternative for on-camera mic work. If you are using a camera mounted mic with the Beachtek, what kind of cabling (length, right angle or straight) do some of you use? Thanks again.

Tim

Caleb Hansen
January 31st, 2007, 05:26 PM
Hello,
I am getting into the field of Legal Video. I recently bought everything necessary to build a legal deposition kit, using my Canon GL-2 camera. I have everything working, except for a buzz/hum in the audio. I have the buzz/hum narrowed down to the MA-300 Advanced Accessory Shoe. The buzz hum occurs when the MA-300 has both XLRs attached, and RCA video input, and BNC output. Ideally the MA-300 should be able to handle this.

I made sure to get balanced, shielded XLR cables. According to Canon, the
MA-300 is balanced. I think the hum/buzz might have something to do with electricity as well. When I have my Panasonic SVHS tape decks turned on the buzz is louder. When I turn a light on, then buzz gets louder. Also, when I open the IRIS up, or have the shutter speed low, or boost the Db gain, the buzz gets louder as well.

Here is the signal flow dealing with the camera and the MA-300:
I have a Mackie 1402 Audio Mixer. I have 4 XLR Audio Technica AT831B lavalier by phantom power. I've plugged the headphones into the Mackie board, and the audio is great, no hum at all.

I have to output video signal as BNC from the MA-300 so I can input video into a Horita Time-Date Generator. To do this, I run the 1/8 inch AV cable (which is a single plug on one end, and splits into three RCAs ...video(yellow), stereo audio (red, white). I am running the RCA audio outputs into a Panasonic AG-5700 SVHS deck. The RCA video output from the camera, plugs into the MA-300 RCA video input to convert the signal to BNC out. From the BNC out I have a 10 ft. BNC cable, which connects to the Horita. From the Horita output, I run a BNC video out into a Panasonic AG-5700 SVHS deck.

THE AUDIO HUM GOES AWAY WHEN:
When I disconnect one of the XLRs from the accessory shoe input, or from the output of the Mackie, the buzz goes away. Also when I unhook the RCA in, or the BNC out, the buzz goes away.

I just spoke with Canon technical support, and after a long signal flow
discussion, the guy suggested I send the MA-300 in for service. My one year warranty is expired, but I have used the MA-300 only a few times, and it worked fine. Twice, I used it only for audio, running an XLR feed from an audio board into the MA-300. The other time I needed to convert the video to BNC. I never have tested running audio and video at the same time. Of course I find out about the audio hum when both are in use, after I spend LOTS of money on the needed deposition gear.

This is frustrating. This audio hum is the main thing holding me back from getting started doing legal video depositions.

Caleb Hansen
January 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM
Hello,
I am getting into the field of Legal Video. I recently bought everything necessary to build a legal deposition kit, using my Canon GL-2 camera. I have everything working, except for a buzz/hum in the audio. I have the buzz/hum narrowed down to the MA-300 Advanced Accessory Shoe. The buzz hum occurs when the MA-300 has both XLRs attached, and RCA video input, and BNC output. Ideally the MA-300 should be able to handle this.

I made sure to get balanced, shielded XLR cables. According to Canon, the
MA-300 is balanced. I think the hum/buzz might have something to do with electricity as well. When I have my Panasonic SVHS tape decks turned on the buzz is louder. When I turn a light on, then buzz gets louder. Also, when I open the IRIS up, or have the shutter speed low, or boost the Db gain, the buzz gets louder as well.

Here is the signal flow dealing with the camera and the MA-300:
I have a Mackie 1402 Audio Mixer. I have 4 XLR Audio Technica AT831B lavalier by phantom power. I've plugged the headphones into the Mackie board, and the audio is great, no hum at all.

I have to output video signal as BNC from the MA-300 so I can input video into a Horita Time-Date Generator. To do this, I run the 1/8 inch AV cable (which is a single plug on one end, and splits into three RCAs ...video(yellow), stereo audio (red, white). I am running the RCA audio outputs into a Panasonic AG-5700 SVHS deck. The RCA video output from the camera, plugs into the MA-300 RCA video input to convert the signal to BNC out. From the BNC out I have a 10 ft. BNC cable, which connects to the Horita. From the Horita output, I run a BNC video out into a Panasonic AG-5700 SVHS deck.

THE AUDIO HUM GOES AWAY WHEN:
When I disconnect one of the XLRs from the accessory shoe input, or from the output of the Mackie, the buzz goes away. Also when I unhook the RCA in, or the BNC out, the buzz goes away.

I just spoke with Canon technical support, and after a long signal flow
discussion, the guy suggested I send the MA-300 in for service. My one year warranty is expired, but I have used the MA-300 only a few times, and it worked fine. Twice, I used it only for audio, running an XLR feed from an audio board into the MA-300. The other time I needed to convert the video to BNC. I never have tested running audio and video at the same time. Of course I find out about the audio hum when both are in use, after I spend LOTS of money on the needed deposition gear.

This is frustrating. This audio hum is the main thing holding me back from
getting started doing legal video depositions.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Caleb Hansen
HansenVideo.com

Kyle Ringin
February 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM
Hmm. Sounds a bit like a ground loop. Is the hum at 60Hz?

So just to confirm, the buzz goes away when you have everything connected (including both XLRs) but you unplug the RCA video?

If that's the case, to eliminate the video signal from the equation, can you try a simple RCA-BNC converter instead of plugging the RCA video out from the camera into the MA-300? these are cheap and it'll isolate the video from the MA-300 in case that is doing something weird.

Is the hum present when monitoring the audio from the camera? or is it only on the final tape?

Cheers,
Kyle

Mike Donley
February 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Are you using a battery in the camera? Or are you using AC power? It can make a difference, with AC being the culprit--a grounding issue.

Caleb Hansen
February 2nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
After doing some reading, I think I am experiencing the 60 Hz ground loop hum.

No, the buzz is there when the everything is connected to the MA-300 (2 XLRs, RCA in, RCA out). I also noticed it when just the XLRs are plugged in to the MA-300.

I think I will have to try the RCA-BNC converters.

The hum is present when monitoring the audio from the camera and on the final tape?

Both.

I am using a battery on the camera. I've tried it with AC power too, but still get the both with both.

Someone in another forum mentioned using 3 prong to 2 prong adapters. I had one on hand and attached it to the power strip/surge protector going into the wall. It cured the hum!! But from what I have read, that is not the correct way to cure the 60 Hz hum. You run the risk of damaging your equipment.

So I am looking into a ground loop eliminator. Prices vary from $30 on up from what I have seen.

Mark Holland
February 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM
My first thought was a 60 Hz hum. Sounds like you've got it figured out. Congrats! BTW, I keep an old fashioned 2 to 3 wire AC adapter in my kit for just such a reason. It's pulled me out of a pinch more than once!

Mark

Don Palomaki
February 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
It is a ground loop.

If you have components in the system that use different outlets (i.e., not on the same surge protector) that can cause it. An outlet with ground and hot leads (whilte and black wire) reversed can cause it.

The low cost BNC-RCA adapter I've seen do nothing but change the form of the connection. They are hard wired through, and will not help with a gound loop.

If disconnecting the XLR leades audio clears the problem, you mgiht try a ground lifter on your balanced lines.

Or, simpler, if disconnecting the RCA clears it, try a "Ground Loop Isolator" that Radio Shack sells for the RCA audio leads. At one time the part number was 270-054, about $17 these days, and it is stereo. I've used them with success.

Kyle Ringin
February 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
No, the buzz is there when the everything is connected to the MA-300 (2 XLRs, RCA in, RCA out). I also noticed it when just the XLRs are plugged in to the MA-300.

I think I will have to try the RCA-BNC converters.
If the buzz is there when you unplug the BNC from the MA-300, the BNC/RCA adaptor won't help - it was just a thought to eliminate the MA-300 video line as a source of the loop.

It sounds like you will require a ground loop isolator as has been suggested.

Cheers,
Kyle

Vivianne Olver
May 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I used a MA 300 today for the 1st time and the issue I have is that it seems that when the MA 300 is on the camera you loose the audio out put to your headphones I removed the MA 300 and the audio returned.

I this just a setting or just how it works?

Vivianne

Graham Bernard
May 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM
I used a MA 300 today for the 1st time and the issue I have is that it seems that when the MA 300 is on the camera you loose the audio out put to your headphones I removed the MA 300 and the audio returned.

I this just a setting or just how it works?

Vivianne

No!! Not at all .. I've been using this combo for 4 years .. yeah? And it just works.

Because you haven't said any different, I'm assuming:

You DID have the cans in the correct socket?

You DID have your headphone vol level up?

You DID connect your external mic to the XLRs correctly?

You HAVE checked that the mic you used has a proper XLR-OUT to XLR-IN option?

Please can you check to see/hear that you CAN get levels without the MA300 INTO your cans? Yeah?

And, once again, it does work!! No 2 ways about it.

Cheers,

Grazie

Vivianne Olver
May 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM
No!! Not at all .. I've been using this combo for 4 years .. yeah? And it just works.

Because you haven't said any different, I'm assuming:

You DID have the cans in the correct socket?

You DID have your headphone vol level up?

You DID connect your external mic to the XLRs correctly?

You HAVE checked that the mic you used has a proper XLR-OUT to XLR-IN option?

Please can you check to see/hear that you CAN get levels without the MA300 INTO your cans? Yeah?

And, once again, it does work!! No 2 ways about it.

Cheers,

Grazie

This is what I checked

I tried both XLR inputs on the MA300

I did check the Headphone volume because when I removed the MA300 I had audio in the headphones

I tested two mics both with a extension cable and without

I am using Shure SM11 dynamic lavalier microphone

I do see audio levels on display from the mics

Thanks for the input

Graham Bernard
May 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
This is what I checked

I tried both XLR inputs on the MA300

I did check the Headphone volume because when I removed the MA300 I had audio in the headphones

I tested two mics both with a extension cable and without

I am using Shure SM11 dynamic lavalier microphone

I do see audio levels on display from the mics

Thanks for the input

Well, this kinda confirms that everything works as it should:

1) - You ARE getting a signal FROM the MA300, 'cos you can SEE the levels. To my mind this removes the idea that the MA300 is faulty - yes?

OR . .

2) IF the MA300 was faulty OR the pins and connections to the XM2 weren't seated correctly you could STILL be getting audio THROUGH the on-board mic - and therefore SEEING audio levels. See my point?

Or . .

3) When you connect the MA300, do you see, in the LCD or EP what looks like a tiny "C" Icon to the LEFT of the 2 AUDIO Levels? This denotes that the MA300 is attached and working as should?

Interesting . . very interesting!!

Grazie

Vivianne Olver
May 23rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
I put the shoe on my camera yesterday with the same cable and mic and it works so who knows what the problem was

But thank you for all you in put

Vivianne

Graham Bernard
May 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
I put the shoe on my camera yesterday with the same cable and mic and it works so who knows what the problem was

Yeah, could be a better seating of the pins and tabs. Did you use the thumb wheel to screw it in position? My guess would now be that whatever was isolating the stream to the heads, has now making contact.

Jesse James
July 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I have a GL-2 with the MA300 already but have never used the MA300. I've seen some comments here the Beachtek is a better setup except for the XLR jacks being on the wrong side.

I checked out Beachtek's website and it appears the unit is mounted under the cam. Where does the mic mount or do I need to fashion a mount for the mic?

What features does the Beachtek have over the MA300?

Mic I have is a Sennheiser 66 shotgun mic to be used for wildlife filming.

Thank you

Merlin Vandenbossche
July 31st, 2007, 04:09 AM
I haven't used any of those adapters yet so I can't say anything from personal experience. I do suppose you'll need a shockmount if you're planning on mounting the mic on top of the camera.

Good thing to check out the DVEstore product review of the beachtek:

http://dvcreators.net/beachtek-xlr-adapters

Greetz,

Merlin

Don Palomaki
July 31st, 2007, 06:01 AM
FYI: Alternatives to Beachtek include similar products form SignVideo.com and Studio1Production.com.

Which is better depends on your specific needs. Generally the third party devices are passive, provide no gain, but usually offer some increased flexibility for connections, including ability to cope with line-level inputs. Read the specs of the unit you are considering to be sure of its capabilities.

The MA300 offers perhaps 6 dB additional gain and is designed specifically for use with the Canon, does not support line-level input.

Derrick Michael
July 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM
I just shot my first video with the MA300 this weekend and I am very impressed with the results. I was doing a fake news style interview on the street with a cheaper non-directional mic and it worked great. I just ordered a wireless mic set up for it as well. The down side is I have nothing to compare it to, this is the first prosumer cam i bought, so everything is just better ingeneral.

Richard M. Hunter
July 31st, 2007, 10:35 AM
just a note, the canon deal doesn't supply phantom power, so if you have a mic that needs phantom, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Jesse James
July 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM
Thank you for the comments. I'm going to give the MA300 a whirl and see how it performs. If I'm not happy then I'll try the Beachtek.