View Full Version : Do you use + or - DVD's?

Jason Gatti
January 2nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
What format do you use when you burn your disc's? If you use the +DVD's how often do you run into people not being able to play your disc's? Or have they been around long enough that most DVD players will play them?
I'm just wondering if I should spend the money on a multi format burner. Think it's worth it?

Peter Moore
January 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM
dual format burners are really little more expensive than single format, so you might want to just get one anyway. But I used DVD-Rs myself and have never had a soul unable to play them. Can't say the same of the +Rs. Unfortunately, for dual layer, your only option is +R, for now.

Dan Euritt
January 3rd, 2005, 06:56 PM
pretty much all of the good dvd burners are multi-format these days... the new pioneer drives are a good way to go, you can find 'em for $100 each for the internal model, or less if you shop around.

George Ellis
January 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM
I usually use DVD-R. Out of 100 discs on my last project, I had two that would not play (player issues). One was solved by using a booktype of DVD-ROM on a DVD+R disc. The other was solved by the customer using another player (which plays both media.)

If you do get a multi-format burner, the NEC 3500a and Pioneer DVR-108 are top shelf. Both also do DL +R. I got the NEC only because, with 3rd party firmware, it will do +R media with the booktype of DVD-ROM. Both are capable of doing a booktype of DVD-ROM on DVD+R DL media (and that is important as many players do not recognize the +R Dual-Layer booktype and will not play it). Both burners are less than $70 as barebones drives (OEM).

If you do run into an issue, check the compatibility lists at www.videohelp.com. If you know model and mfgr, you can quickly narrow down if it is a media type issue.

Rob Yannetta
January 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Being a professional geek (and getting paid good money for it), I've personally tested compatibility between the DVD+R and DVD-R formats.

I haven't found a single set-top DVD player reject a DVD-R disc yet, however DVD+R media is about 80% compatible in my tests.

I've burned some stock video on both and attempted to play them in many differing brands of set-top DVD players. Sony, Toshiba, JVC, and a few of the cheaper ones.

DVD-R played on everything. DVD+R was hit and miss. Many of my friends did the same tests and came up with the same results.

Now I only use DVD-R and have never made a coaster.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Peter Moore
January 11th, 2005, 10:36 AM
I take it back. Newer Macs have a hard time with DVD-Rs, I've found. Maybe it's just the brand I use.

Bogdan Vaglarov
January 11th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Yeah, brand (better to say maker - check for media ID) and player...

For example my Samsung DVD player playes any DVD-RW or +RW, as well as 8x recorded Ricoh +Rs (all made in Taiwan).

It's more picky on the quality of the DVD-R though - only TDK or Tayo Yuden are trouble free, while CMC or Princo are freezing and skipping (all passed check for readability on PC with CDspeed's Scan Disc).

Family member's minicombo integrated JVC playes the junk media without problem though.
But that's very limited experience anyway.
What I found is that for me even the so proclaimed Ritek made discs are not working - just loosing time to find that I have freezes again. So I switched to better brands (no matter + or -)

Note: Some TDKs are actually made by Tayo Yuden (good) but also some are Riteks or other maker (bad). So also if possible first check the code and then buy bulk quantaties ;)

Rob Yannetta
January 12th, 2005, 07:46 AM
The best quality DVD-R media I've used is Verbatim. I've never made a coaster with Verbatim media ... yet.

Moe Belli
January 16th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Yes, the best DVD blank media is:

Fuji (Taiyo Yuden)
Verbatim
Maxell

I also believe DVD-R offers better player compatibility, the reason you don't hear too much between DVD-R and DVD+R in regards to compatibility is that reviewers, magazines and so forth want to sell you both formats and so DVD+R doesn't really get criticised very much in this regard.

However, I'd go with DVD-R.

MB