View Full Version : Just took apart an old 8mm camera - wow, I am confused?!?!

Leo Mandy
January 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Ok, in my quest to try and understand how the Agus, Aldus and the mini35 work, I have been gathering lenses from all kinds of places to see how this all works.

The keystone XL200 camera, has a built in zoom lens - one that works like a superzoom where you can pull the little knob on the side to zoom in (they call it tele and wide respectively). Now, after taking it apart, I noticed that I cannot see through the lens at all (up close), but when I bring it far enough back, I can see through it (although it is really small). Now, there is also a piece that comes off the lens part that exposes me to the entire lens (japan made). This lens (and the tube part that gives the zoom/tele mode) is just a piece of glass from what I gather (which is strange to me). I thought the lenses were in the tube? Anyways, to make a long story short, I am confused again on how this all works. Help and suggestion from anybody would be great!

Sean Dixon
January 6th, 2005, 05:02 PM
www.dvdof.com

Hope this helps.

Leo Mandy
January 6th, 2005, 07:32 PM
The website doesn't work?! Thank for the info, but it won't seem to connect.

Sean Dixon
January 7th, 2005, 12:05 AM
woa, i guess the site went down tonight. Hmm, well... know i feel stupid. sorry, little too much to drink. Try this one instead.

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dof/index.htm

Hope this one helps, ;-)

Boyd Ostroff
January 7th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Sean, I edited your post to activate the link. You can make your links "hot" this way:

[ url ]http://www.anywebsite.com[ /url ]

Just remove the whitespace between the url tags and the brackets.

Leo Mandy
January 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Thanks, I already have that book marked but I am still confused. I guess it is going to take getting an actual 35mm camera and playing with it to figure this thing out. Thanks anyways,

Leo Mandy
January 7th, 2005, 04:21 PM
By the Way, does anyone know who wrote that article on DOF or an email to get a hold of him/her? It is well laid out and very descriptive,

Rob Lohman
January 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM
The depth-of-field also depends on the target size. 35mm creates
a shallower DoF than a 1/3" CCD size has for example. If you
where to mount such a lens directly to a 1/3" CCD you will get
a 7.2 times magnification since 35mm is 7.2 times as large.

What a mini35 and homemade adapter do is project this 35mm
image (at the correct size and distance from the lens) on a surface
([spinning] ground glass). Since this is a 35mm target image you
retain the original DoF. All you now need to do is photograph this
projected image which you do with a series of macro lenses
(since the image is a lot smaller compared to the real world so to
speak)....

I hope this kinda explained it a bit.