View Full Version : Loggin, transcribing, burning - from XL2

Jonathan Ramsey
January 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Just wondered if anyone has uncovered a good workflow of software and hardware that would facilitate the logging of footage and the creating of a database that can be transfered to other apps (like excel, access, etc.).

Additionally, I'd like to be able to realtime burn a DVD of the footage 1394 out of the XL2 (or firewire out capable DVCam VTR) with TC burn for transcription purposes... is this even possible? I'm more from a component and super or SDI interface background and rather new to the firewire world. Do you just tie in an external DVD burner and run it through some software? How do you turn the TC window on and off? Any tips, hints, or experience would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Ramsey

Rob Lohman
January 18th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I'm a bit rusty on this, but you should be able to send the camera's
information (like TC) out by toggling some setting either in the
menu and/or through the remote (on the XL1S this had some
options that where NOT AVAILABLE on the camera or menu, so
make sure you double check this!). It should be in the manual.

I use the following workflow:

1. let Sony Vegas capture my tape(s) and do scene detection (so I get a file per scene/shot)

2. rename the files to something like: scene 01 take 02.avi etc.

3. I load all the files into Sony Vegas and go to View -> Edit Details and select Events under Show. This displays information like start, end, length, timecode in, timecode out. I select all and copy this to an Excel sheet and add columns where I can add notes

4. now I either print this out or use the excel sheet on my laptop and then watch the tape on a TV to write my notes/feelings down for each take etc. I usually do this on my laptop so I have it in the digital world directly. I can then easily lateron check my Excel sheet to see what my thoughts on clips/scenes/takes where.

Works for me....