View Full Version : Now Hear This

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 18th, 2005, 09:48 AM
DVD has finally cleared all the legal hurdles we went through...and is now shipping. This belongs in the "for sale" group, but since some of you have been emailing and asking, I'm posting it here.
There is a special discount for the DVInfo.net people, COMM will get it for you.
My apologies for the delay. For all my talk about clearances, I guess I should have listened to myself, I never dreamed a manufacturer wouldn't want their product featured. Anyway, the DVD is now available at just over 5 hours of information on 2 DVD9s.

http://www.vasst.com/dvdproducts/nht-sound.htm

Marco Leavitt
January 18th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Looks great Douglas. How's that discount work?

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 18th, 2005, 01:05 PM
We have an agreement with a distributor to not publish the price, so I can't do that. Suffice it to say that when you use the discount code, you'll see a reduction in price displayed prior to you being committed to the purchase.

Marco Leavitt
January 18th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Thanks. That's what I was looking for. I didn't realize that COMM was a code that needed to entered. (Guess I'm kind of dense like that.) :)

Jim Garrison
January 18th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Just ordered the DVD. Look forward to watching and learning.

Ben Lynn
January 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Douglas it's great that you have that product out there. I'd like to get that this summer as a training tool for myself and the freelance audio guys who work for me on productions.

Looks great.

Ben

Graham Bernard
January 18th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Looks brilliant Spot! Good luck with it!

Grazie

Mike Bement
January 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Douglas: Just ordered the DVDs and looking forward to watching them.

Where is Stockton? I grew up in Orem, started skiing when Sundance was called 'Timp Haven'. A lot has changed since then.

Cheers,

Mike

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 22nd, 2005, 04:48 AM
Stockton is in between Lehi and Tooele, on the east side of the west side of the Oquirrhs. I'm up in the canyon there. Small town. Orem looks like major metropolis to us.
Timp Haven.....dang, but that was a LONG time ago, eh?

Mike Bement
January 25th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Douglas:

Must be nice and quiet over there in Stockton.

I went out for Thanksgiving. Two of my kids are going to school in Provo. There has been amazing growth along 73 west of Lehi and up in Herriman. Now there are whole communities on the west side of Utah Lake. That blows me away. We used to hunt coyotes and jack rabbits from Cedar Valley all the way down to Faust. The dry farmers would give us free ammo to get rid of them.

Small World.

The DVD arrived today. I'll pop some popcorn and watch it tonight.

Cheers,

Mike

Ari Shomair
January 25th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Mike - when your done watching the video I'd be really interested in what you thought of it, what skill level you feel it is best suited to, etc...

Thanks
Ari

Dan Lahav
January 26th, 2005, 12:21 AM
wow, i wish i could afford this on my measly student income. seems like a great resource. thanks Douglas

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 26th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Mike, you can still hunt from Cedar Fort to Faust, but only on the west side...:-)

I still haven't seen the DVD in it's final package form, but one of our guys watched it Monday, and reported a 12 second blank at about 45:00 on disk one. Audio, with no video. The replicator is looking into what might have happened, but we'll be posting a stream of the missing 12 seconds of the windscreen in the outdoors. Apologies.

I'm on travel and won't be home until Sunday to get that taken care of.

Looking forward to hearing your comments. This is the toughest overall DVD we've done, because it's hard to decide where to draw the line at stopping. We've got an additional 2 hours of edited media that we'd decided not to include, 2 DVD9's is a lot of information to ingest. :-)

Ari Shomair
January 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Is there a student discounted version of your DVD? I noticed all your other DVDs are available through my educational discounted software providers

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 30th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Academic Distribution should have the disc set shortly. They offer the student discounts.

Mike Bement
January 30th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I finished watching the 'Now Hear This' DVDs.

Bad news first:
There are a few cosmetic problems that don't affect the content or learning at all. A perfectionist might be bothered, but he'd miss out on all the good stuff that's available. To me, it is no big deal.

Good news:
Disc 1 was a very good, comprehensive introduction (for some) or review (for others) of basic concepts and equipment. I have read or heard most of the material before, but not in one place, as you get it on the DVD which is very convenient.

The term, "dead cat" was used in a new context, which brought a smile to my face. I hate cats (no need for cat lovers to respond). I can imagine some very funny, practical jokes at this point.

Also, I learned completely new uses for condoms and hair bands. (Why can't I think of things like that?)

Disc 1 would be especially good for someone involved in videography who wants to strengthen their knowledge of basic audio, including learning about the various pieces of hardware and connectors that are available.

Disc 2 provided lots of new information, including helpful presentations of actual audio editing, use of plug-ins, EQ, and compression.

Watching the editing process, and hearing Douglas describe what he was doing and why he was doing it was very helpful. I saw quite a few things that I will be able to do differently/better.

I will view Disc 2 numerous times to make sure I get everything out of it that I can.

I did not yet have an opportunity to look at any of the supplemental materials.

Overall, I feel that my investment in the DVDs is very worthwhile, despite the previously-mentioned cosmetic problems.

Unless you are a real expert in this stuff, you will probably find it useful too.

Just one thing that I picked up on Disc 2 will be worth the entire price of the program. I am too embarassed to admit what it was, but I had a misconception straightened out that will be a big help in the future.

If anyone has any specific questions, shoot me an email.

I thank Douglas for making some of his expertise available. in "Now Hear This".

Cheers,

Mike

Douglas Spotted Eagle
January 30th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the comments, Mike, both in private and public.

The 'cosmetics' that Mike refers to are some artifacts that appear to have been induced by a dirty head that pops up once in a great while. This wasn't part of the original project, but we ended up having to recapture and reshoot a lot of things due to a clearance hassle that we should have handled before production.

There is also an 11.5 second video blank at approx 44 mins into the first disc that we believe was induced at the replicator as the files are fine on our end. We've already posted the video to the blanked area on our website. The audio is there, but the video disappeared for some very odd reason that we're still digging into. It's the first time we've had anything like that happen.

It initially took us 3 months to do this, then we ran into a clearance issue with a manufacturer that was not resolvable for more reasons than I care to go into. I can only say "THANK YOU" in a VERY big way to the folks at Audio Technica, B&H, Mackie, and Sony for helping us to get this out. We had 12 days to redo much of the DVD and we turned it out to an editor that is not in-house to complete it. We're pleased with how it turned out other than the 11 second thing and the occasional DV artifact that pops up.
We hope to see some actual reviews of the DVDs fairly soon, but Mike's comments are indicative of what many folks that are in the biz have had to say.
We have an additional 2 hours that were supposed to go on these DVDs, but decided that 5+ hours was enough for this one. We'll launch volume 2 sometime soon, I hope.