View Full Version : Compressing Vegas MPEG-2 with Cleaner for DVD

Tony Hall
January 19th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I want to make a DVD with a TON of footage. I rendered footage with Vegas in MPEG-2 format for the DVD. The only problem is that my footage is about 4 times too big for the DVD. So, instead of making 4 DVDs, does anybody have any good recipies for compressing MPEG-2 footage in Cleaner?

I've come up with some pretty good Windows Media and Real Player recipies, but I don't know much about MPEG-4.

Really what I need to do is cut the file size down to a forth of it's original size without it being that noticable on a TV screen.

Dan Euritt
January 20th, 2005, 02:30 PM
dvd's that'll work in the current desktop players can only be mpeg2, although if you are doing this for personal use only, you can encode to the xvid mpeg4 format, there are a couple of commercial dvd players that'll handle it.

you do not want to re-compress mpeg2 with windows media or anything else, it'll look like garbage... since you used vegas to edit with, just export wmp or whatever you want directly from vegas instead.

i doubt that cleaner has a better mpeg2 encoder than vegas does.

Tony Hall
January 20th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Cleaner doesn't. My first run through Cleaner doubled the file size and I really couldn't get the file smaller than 2/3 of the original size.