View Full Version : MxR + Sandisk 16Gb failure. Crucial footage lost

Steve Shovlar
September 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM
Just had a friend on the phone almost in tears. He is a wedding videographer and filmed a big wedding yesterday, using an EX1 with MxR adaptor and Sandisk 16Gb cards.

After he had finished filming the ceremony, he swapped out the cards and carried on through the day.

Last night he came to load the footage onto his PC and when he put the card in the EX1 to transfer, got a restore media message. But the card won't restore at all. It's the 60 minutes of the actual church wedding ceremony. As you can imagine he hasn't slept a wink and was on the phone to me first thing. Sorry to say I haven't been following disasters like this so was of little use to him other than to calm him down and attempt to reassure him that there will probably be some way to recover the lost data.

So, how should he go about this? What programs should he purchase in an attempt to recover the footage? What are the success rates?

I have a feeling he removed the card before the green light had come on, so there's a currupt end of clip. All this is the very reason I shoot anything important on SxS.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated. Names of recovery programs etc.

That Nanoflash is looking like a nailed on future purchase

Best regards
Steve Shovlar

David C. Williams
September 11th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Laptop or PC with an SDHC slot. Chances are it will read without any problem. If not you have any number of file recovery tools about that should get most, if not all of the card.

Steve Shovlar
September 11th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Hi Dave, thanks for the reply. Do you know the names of the file recovery tools please?

Any free recovery tools out there?

Jamie Roberts
September 11th, 2009, 04:39 AM
J
Last night he came to load the footage onto his PC and when he put the card in the EX1 to transfer, got a restore media message.

Hi Steve, Are you saying he tried to transfer the footage from the MxR adapter via the EX1?

Or did he he use a Express card to USB adapter to attempt transfer to PC?

Cheers

Jamie

Steve Shovlar
September 11th, 2009, 05:51 AM
HI Jamie he tried to transfer the footage via USB from his EX1.

David C. Williams
September 11th, 2009, 06:10 AM
Try this one, good open source freeware

TestDisk - CGSecurity (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk)

Chances are he won't even need it though. SDHC read well even when the EX can't load it.

Craig Seeman
September 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Also key is how to avoid this problem in the future.
Given there were no errors during the recording it probably is a good card.
He may have pulled it out before the light went green as noted above.

One reason I use 32GB cards (seems harder to find good ones these days) is that two cards will give me 4 hours record time without pulling a card. I got two 32GB Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 cards in January. The newer ones are Class 4 and some people are having issues with them. Can you find out what kind of Sandisk cards he's using Ultra or Extreme and Class number?

Even if the meta data is damaged the MP4s might be OK. If he can pull those off the card, Clip Browser can create new BPAV folders so this might be a simple fix. You'd need to use the File/Import function which can import MP4s directly. You'd want to use something other the camera (which will throw the error) to import. A basic SDHC card reader would work.

Steve Shovlar
September 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. He is out filming a wedding again today and tomorrow so this info will be good for him on Monday morning.

He is using Sandick Ultra 11's class 4. I myself use the exact same cards and have never had a problem, though for important work stick to SxS.

I am sure he pulled the card before the green light went out. He said he had to do a quick switch out so I feel that is the cause.

I'll post the ouitcome on Monday as I will be seeing him then.

Steve Pond
September 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I'm not well experienced in the ways of digital video, but I do pretty well with the computer stuff. I'm with David - the first thing he should try is to plug the card directly into the USB port of the computer. There may be some issue with reading the card while it's installed in the camera which may go away by plugging the card into the computer. Of course he'll probably need an SDHC adapter because most PCs (at least those running on Windows) can't read an HC card directly even if they have a slot for it. If you're running a MAC, I'm not going to be much help. If there's any data on the card, it should be readable. If your try recovering data that isn't corrupt, you risk corrupting it depending on the software you use.

Craig Seeman
September 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
There's no reason to have to do a "quick switch" if one is prepared. You have a full 58 minutes or so after the card switches to pull the other card.

With 32GB cards you'd have nearly two hours.

SDHC readers are dirt cheap. I'd never use the camera as a card reader with MxR.
SxS could be a problem going to a desktop. For that there's the Sony SxS reader.
SDHC has been ROCK SOLID reliable for me. It's a workflow issue and SxS can have workflow issues too. It's to have enough SDHC cards, it's expensive to have enough SxS cards or have to do offloads to a laptop during a shoot. That's an accident waiting to happen.

Marius Boruch
September 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
A+ Perfect Computers | Computer Repair in Westport, Fairfield, Southport CT (http://www.aplusperfect.com/)
htey WILL recover everything for resonable flat reate. They did it for me when nothing else worked.
btw. when you use TestDisk - use EX1 as a card reader!

Jamie Roberts
September 11th, 2009, 09:13 PM
HI Jamie he tried to transfer the footage via USB from his EX1.

Hi there. I might be missing something but I am under the impression that when using MxM, MxR cards etc with SDHC cards, you cant capture from the EX1 USB port and need to take the Express Card out and use a Express Card - USB adapter?

Ive never attempted to transfer my MxM card/Sandisk combo from the EX1 itself as I thought it didnt work as allthough the EX1 can record to the MxM/Sandisk combo no worries, its onboard USB transfer software didnt like the 'pretend' SxS cards?

I always use the Express-USB adapter that I bought when I bought the cards.

Like I said, I may have missed something here!

Cheers

Jamie

Bill Koehler
September 11th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I've used this program with good results in the past, results good enough that I purchased the software.

Download critical data recovery software - computer data recovery with ZAR. (http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm)

Steve Shovlar
October 7th, 2009, 04:05 PM
OK the good news. My friend got his Sandisk 16Gb Ultra 2 card back from a guy who managed to salvage all the footage from the corrupt card. All he has lost is a few secoonds. Took the guy 8 hours ( so he said) but actually only charged my friend £50 for the service.

Considering the couple were going to sue my friend for lsoing the footage, he is very relieved.

Now, he has told me why he thinks the failure happened. At the very moment the card failed, the speaker was showing off an item and the photographer, together with several guests, were all taking pictures and the flashes were going off everywhere. At the very point of the failure.

Could multiple, simultanious camera flashes overload the camera's recording capabilities to cause this to happen, or was it just a coincidence?

Either way, a happy ending to a worrying episode.

Anthony McErlean
October 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Thats great news. Glad to hear it.

David Heath
October 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Could multiple, simultanious camera flashes overload the camera's recording capabilities to cause this to happen, or was it just a coincidence?
I'd put a lot of money on coincidence.

Out of interest, had he used this card much before, or was it a new one? There have certainly been tales of new cards being unreliable right from day one, but generally once they've shown themselves to be reliable, they tend to carry on being so. Hence the advice of never, ever using a new card for real work before properly testing it.

Perrone Ford
October 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
No offense to your friend, or anyone else out there doing this, but anyone who records 1-time footage with a single camera, and a single recording system with no safety net, is flying by the seat of their pants.

I hope your friend takes this opportunity to go out and purchase a redundant recording system, whether it be a Firestore with solid state recording, or a Convergent NanoFlash, which would be my FIRST choice. Better quality, redundant in it's own right, and relatively inexpensive compared to a lawsuit. If this is really a "business" it should be able to be deducted or amortized as a necessary business expense.

I just don't understand how someone can set themselves up in a business shooting unrepeatable events, and not have ANY backup plan.

Steve Shovlar
October 8th, 2009, 02:12 AM
I'd put a lot of money on coincidence.

Out of interest, had he used this card much before, or was it a new one? There have certainly been tales of new cards being unreliable right from day one, but generally once they've shown themselves to be reliable, they tend to carry on being so. Hence the advice of never, ever using a new card for real work before properly testing it.

It was a brand new card. He had used it on one other job.

Steve Shovlar
October 8th, 2009, 02:26 AM
No offense to your friend, or anyone else out there doing this, but anyone who records 1-time footage with a single camera, and a single recording system with no safety net, is flying by the seat of their pants.

I hope your friend takes this opportunity to go out and purchase a redundant recording system, whether it be a Firestore with solid state recording, or a Convergent NanoFlash, which would be my FIRST choice. Better quality, redundant in it's own right, and relatively inexpensive compared to a lawsuit. If this is really a "business" it should be able to be deducted or amortized as a necessary business expense.

I just don't understand how someone can set themselves up in a business shooting unrepeatable events, and not have ANY backup plan.

Have to agree. I have mentioned the Nanoflash to him several times but he said it was far too expensive for him to consider. Interestingly, he has a Canon XHA1 which is now gathering dust since he purchased the EX1. And, he is shooting 1080i with the EX1 so he could easily use both cameras and have no conflict when it comes to editing.

I have told him on numerous occassions he is sailing close to the wind with a single camera but it has so far fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps after this shock to his system, he will use the Canon as second camera.

I myself always use two cams, and can sleep at night not having to worry about what I will have to tell disappointed and angry newlyweds the folling day.

Lance Librandi
October 8th, 2009, 04:25 AM
Hi Guys,

I have an EX 3 with a redundant recording system it's called SxS cards, the primary recorder is a Convergent NanoFlash which gives better quality than the SxS. One of the things to remember with the NanoFlash or any other add on recorders mostly by default they operate from the embedded timecode from the SDI signal. Should the camera stop to recording to it’s cards the NanoFlash will also stop. The NanoFlash is equipped with a remote port and I would recommend that you use the optional remote control switch with inbuilt tally light. The remote can be mount anywhere on your camera that you comfortable with. I leave mine permanently connected above the NanoFlash and the cable rolled up under the mounting plate held with velcro so it’s ready for use at anytime.

Where critical work is involved like weddings, I would set the NanoFlash to operate from it's own internal timecode and use the remote control switch to activate it separately, in case of camera stops recording. This way the Nanoflash will still continue to record and you will be saved. The other thing that I have learnt is that the compact flash cards are a lot more robust than the SD cards and very few reports of problems. You can buy them at most photographic stores where ever you are. With the release of the Sandisk 64gb pro compact flash card which I found I can now buy at about half the price of SxS 32gb will make long form work a lot easier. This is a fantastic system I can highly recommend the NanoFlash. I have attached a picture of my setup.

Damian Heffernan
October 8th, 2009, 06:35 AM
did your friend ever try the card in a reader or any of the other possible fixes or did he just give it to someone? interested to know.

David Heath
October 8th, 2009, 06:36 PM
It was a brand new card. He had used it on one other job.
I think that's where the problem lies. There have certainly been other cases of cards not up to spec right from the start, and hence the golden advice to always, always test new cards before use.

Not simply make a straightforward recording, but see how long it will overcrank for at various framerates in overcrank mode. It will fail - but seeing how long before that happens gives a good idea of how much headroom the card has.

I'd be quite happy to use a tried and tested SDHC card on a paying job, but certainly not one straight out of the packet.

Steve Shovlar
October 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM
did your friend ever try the card in a reader or any of the other possible fixes or did he just give it to someone? interested to know.

He tried it in a dedicated SDHC card reader but to no avail. It just froze at a certain point and that was that. The guy that fixed it did a good job as the footage is now safely in Vegas and the bride happy with the phone call telling her all is now well. He is now investing in a couple of SxS cards.

I did tell him to buy SxS for critical work and to use the SDHC for less important stuff. Guess he learned the hard way.

Anthony McErlean
October 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to get setup with a NanoFlash?

Perrone Ford
October 9th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I think they are $2995, and you buy compactflash cards for them. Not sure if the price includes the short HDSDI cable or not (though it should). I'd buy one right now if I had the money. Darn good solution at a fair price.

Anthony McErlean
October 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sometime again I might look into it more. It would be nice to have one.

Graham King
October 9th, 2009, 12:08 PM
You also need this clause in your contract so you can't be sued for an amount beyond what the client paid you.

If [your company] fails to perform as scheduled for any reason, the amount of damages paid to or suffered by [your client] will be limited to the amount(s) paid to [your company] (i.e. refund of deposit or total paid to date) and not to exceed the agreed upon amount of this contract. [your client] agrees to forfeit all punitive damages. No other warranty is expressed or implied.

Richard Cassar
September 8th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hi I am new to this forum, I was reading steve shovlar's thread and I wish to have some help from him, I am currently suffering from a same card corruption, sent to uk( Recovery Company)for recovery but still I am pending. the card is in my hands.Can someone help me to recover these important XDcam files?

Richard Cassar
September 8th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Hi I am new to this forum, I was reading steve shovlar's thread and I wish to have some help from him, I am currently suffering from a same card corruption, sent to uk( Recovery Company)for recovery but still I am pending. the card is in my hands.Can someone help me to recover these important XDcam files?

John Peterson
September 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM

There were some suggestions earlier in this thread, but moreover, you need to state exactly which card caused the problem so we can all know.
I am not having much luck with newer cards. My older ones NEVER fail. The problems don't always show up right away either. Third recording caused a "media restore" error on the last Sandisk card I returned for a refund.

John

Marius Boruch
September 8th, 2010, 10:05 PM
A Plus Perfrect Computers saved my files. I was sent to them by .....Sandisk

Richard Cassar
September 11th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Dear Marius,

Can you pls send me details how can I contact Plus perfect computers

The card is sandisk 16gb class 4.

any help is Gold for me at this moment.

Richard

Marius Boruch
September 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM
A+ Perfect Computers | Computer Repair in Westport, Fairfield, Southport CT (http://www.aplusperfect.com/)

Richard Cassar
September 15th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thanks Marius, sorry for being late to answer.

Richard Cassar
October 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hello All,

Just to say that, If someone have an xdcam ex unplayable files after recovery. Only one solution

Aero Quartet: Video gets Personal on your Mac (http://www.aeroquartet.com)

Tried several companies but in vain.He is genius, he recovers everything,

You need to have a Mac so that you can upload a sample file for testing.....later, he will guide you.

Problem solved

Zsolt Gordos
October 9th, 2010, 08:17 AM
I don't get why people still fiddle with Sandisk. Its been proven unreliable. I use MxR adapters with ATP cards - never had a second of glitch.
I was also fooled by reports of Sandisk cards and Transcend (what a cr@p for video) - never again.
Now I have huge recording times in my audio recorder...