View Full Version : Need very import Advice on HDV cam replacement

Ben Chancey
February 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
All right you guys I have been struggling with this camera decision for weeks on end now. I currently have a GS 400 but I am having to send it in for repairs after 5 months use. I have all of the accessories and attachments including UW housing for filming the fishing show I host on Fox Sports called The Chew On This Saltwater Fishing Show. I know I need to purchase a new camera and here are the options I am contemplating but I can't decide which one has more pros than cons for a nationally broadcasted fishing show.

Option #1
Purchase another GS 400 preferrably the PV US version considering I have all the the accessories for it and it will allow me to have a backup camera of the same quality and specs as the current one I have. The color and performance of the GS 400 was great and came out very well on FOX SPORTS for last years complete season.

Option #2
Finance a Sony HDV FX-1 for 12 months no interest and be able to advertise the "Chew On This Saltwater Fishing Show" is shot in HD. I believe converting to HD as soon as possible would be a great benefit for my show, especially if the show ever goes to a national network such as ESPN or OLN. It would be real nice to have HD footage to use for years to come. I can then use the GS 400 strictly for UW shots in the show.

My concerns are:

I have to get something now and I would like to go with the best my budget can currently handle. However, I have heard the Sony is temperamental in a warm FL humid climate and that it may be missing some features that I need. I really don't know if I should wait for a better HDV camera to come out or not.

Thanks to all who decide to post and help me out with a very difficult decision.

Regards,
Capt Ben

Greg Jacobson
February 3rd, 2005, 10:41 PM
The HDV cam is not so "point and shoot" like other cams. You really need to use manual focus or else it will look like sheeeet.

Steve Crisdale
February 4th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Do you do the editing yourself? If you do you'll need to consider the necessity to upgrade software and possibly hardware to handle HD/HDV.

You may also prefer to consider the Z-1 rather than the FX-1 for the extra flexibility it provides in shooting PAL as well as NTSC, as well as the XLRs for improved audio capability....

I have the FX-1e and it produces an image quality when viewed on HD capable monitors and TVs that is equal to the best being currently broadcast.

Considering you are producing a broadcast video production, is it not plausible to demo the Sony cams to see how they fit into your workflow? To be honest; asking this sort of question here is likely to confuse you even more, and given that you're the ultimate arbiter, it would be worth doing yourself the favour of trying the options out.

Ben Chancey
February 4th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Steve thanks for the input. I use Vegas 5.0 to edit the show and I believe it has the capabilities of editing HD. As far as editing equipment goes I have been contemplating buying a new system that I know will handle the HD editing. Personally I would really like to have the HD footage now. I just didn't want to get the Sony if is tempermental considering all I will be doing with it is shooting outside in the humidity. I have an XLR adapter on my current cam. Does the Z-1 have an already built in XLR?

Zack Birlew
February 4th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Yeah, the Z1 has built in XLR's. But I think you should just get another GS 400. The FX1 and Z1 aren't too good in low light and, yes, they do need to be manually configured quite a bit depending on what you're trying to do.

Ben Chancey
February 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Jack one of the biggest problems with going with a GS again though is the money comes directly out of my pocket and this first one has already malfunctioned in the first 5 months. The Sony can be financed thus reducing out of pocket expenses greatly. Is the Sony that tough to set up? or can it shoot good outdoor footage and better low light by increasing the db gain to a higher Fstop value.

Tommy Haupfear
February 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Ben, that is a tough decision.

I've got a FX1 coming in next week and hopefully I can share some information with you. Sorry to hear about your GS400 as I remember discussing the purchase with you back when I was selling my GS100.

As for low light on the FX1 and Z1... Unfortunately, I haven't had the luxury of using either cam but I have no doubt that either will be better in dim lighting than your current GS400. I have read that the FX1's low light performance falls between a PDX10 and a VX2100. Since the PDX10 and GS400 both have three 1/4.7" CCDs with 1070k pixels each I would think that you would actually do better with a FX1. Curious though, don't you shoot mostly during the bright part of the day?

Colvin Eccleston
February 4th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Where are you getting the finance from? Sony only ran the offer on sd dvcam in the UK. They could have told me that before I put the deposit down!

Ben Chancey
February 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
SonyStyle.com has 0% for 12 months on all Sony products over $499 or something like that.

Colvin Eccleston
February 4th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Well if you can get the finance, I would go for the Z1/FX1. One of the benefits of the Z1 for me was that it gets supported from the pro division, which is worth the extra for the peace of mind over repairs.

Ben Chancey
February 4th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Tommy when it comes to fishing you have to shoot all kinds of different lighting. Sometimes cloudy sometimes dawn and sometimes dusk. I really like what you just said about the low light situation though.

Zack Birlew
February 4th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Well, shoot, why didn't you say you could get financing for the Z1?! Go for it then! The only thing that you might have to do is either turn the gain up or use an underwater light or something if it gets too dark. Bright days should be just fine and gorgeous with the Z1.

Heath McKnight
February 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Ben,

It sounds like you already made the decision. just remember to use the ND filters!

heath

David Mintzer
February 6th, 2005, 02:16 PM
I dont think you can get the financing for the Z1---at least not at the sonystyle site--only the F1

Ben Chancey
February 6th, 2005, 11:09 PM
David you are very right about the Z1. Heath I am still not sure. I do have VEGAS 5.0 though and I do need a new camera. I already have an XLR adapter do I still need the one on the Z1 or can I just buy the F1 and use the XLR I currently have.

I really appreciate the help and suggestions I get from you guys. You are the only pro voices I know of.

Regards,
Capt Ben

David Mintzer
February 7th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Not sure about that one--you might contact the mfgr of your adapter---Beachtek or Studio One I assume.

Robin Davies-Rollinson
February 7th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Ben,
I've just ordered the FX1 and I intend to use my existing BeachTek box with it. I don't foresee any problems.
What I might do later on is to upgrade the BeachTek to the model with phantom power. That'll open up a lot more possibilities for mics.
I still don't think that the extra bucks for the Z1 is worth it (not to me anyway) for the other features.

Robin

Ben Chancey
February 8th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Crunch time.
Should I wait on the Z1 and hope the financing is available for it as is the FX-1. Will the Z1 be worth the added wait time which is only a week as of now or should the FX 1 fit the bill. I base my show on content rather than film artistry so manual settings are not used very much on my cameras. I rely mainly on Autofocusing and other automatic settings due to my limited knowledge of proend filming. With that being said everything is a work in progress and we attempt to get better and better each show filming wise. Please give me some of the cold hard facts that would make the Z1 worth waiting for.

I really appreciate any and all input as you guys are my sole advisors in this professional decision.

Thanks,
Capt Ben

Douglas Spotted Eagle
February 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
The FX1 and Z1 aren't too good in low light and,

I keep hearing this, are you saying this from personal experience, or from things you've read elsewhere? I have no problem at all with low light, and several wedding videographers have posted in various places that they are delighted with the low light quality. Of course, once you go into Hypergain, you have noise....but that's to be expected.

Ben Chancey
February 8th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Douglas,

I have no clue about it's low light abilities other than what the pros hear say. If it has better low light than my GS 400 then I am stoked to say the least. It's nice to ask a few questions and then decide what is best for me after being able to deliberate from others experiences and opinions. Spending another 5 grand on camera and accessories is a really big deal to me. Especially since I just spent 5 grand in August on the GS 400 with all accessories. This Video stuff gets real expensive really quick.

Zack Birlew
February 8th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Well, after doing a search, the GS400 has a minimum lux rating of 12 and the Z1 has a minimum lux of 2. Now, that could be because of hypergain, but I would imagine that the difference wouldn't be too much higher as Sony is famous for its low light capability. I'm too lazy to look through a PDF layout and pinpoint the exact lux rating, but on behalf of my experience, I believe you will be safe in purchasing a Z1 instead of another GS400 as far as lighting worries go. ^_^

But like all cameras, if you are going DEEP ocean searching, then everything will be dark and require an underwater light anyway, so either would do really, if that's what you're doing.

Douglas Spotted Eagle
February 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM
You can use the existing XLR adaptor, if you already have one.
Otherwise, it's WELL worth the extra investment for the Z1. The blackstretch, expandable gain, and additional presets make this a wonderful offering, but...if you've already got the extra gear from another cam, you might save some $$

Toke Lahti
February 8th, 2005, 05:34 PM
I'm exited in z1's ability to (even with lesser resolution) to shoot 25, 30, 50 and 60 fps...

Ben Chancey
February 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Good Lord willing the Z1 will be on the Sony finance plan and I can go with it. I have the XLR from another camera and adaptable lenses and the like but if I can get it altogether in one complete package then I will go with it. I don't do deep underwater footage with it. Most of it will be for very well lit rivers, bays, and offshore waters. The GS400 had captured great colors for the Chew On This Saltwater Fishing Show so I expect more of the same, actually alot better with the HD. The GS 400 has it's own UW housing that I will use strictly for UW shots.

David Mintzer
February 8th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Ah--I dont think so Ben---

Mark Whittle
February 11th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Ben,

I know you said you're not very technical but check out this comparison between the FX1 & the Z1.

It really made my mind up for me. IMO I don't know why anyone would buy a camera as good as this but without the necessary features to interface with the professional world.

The Z1 addresses those needs perfectly.

Note that the consumer version (FX1) doesn't have the hypergain feature (18db, letting you shoot under 3 lux) if that's a feature you need.

Good luck with your decision

Mark

Mark Whittle
February 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Sorry, I forgot to include the link
http://www.roscor.com/resources_whitepapers/Roscor_HDV_Comparison.pdf

Heath McKnight
February 11th, 2005, 11:32 PM
Check out our side-by-side comparison here. (http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php)

Though I still think Ben will be just fine with the FX1. As a friend of mine once told me, he was deciding between the Sony VX2000 and the PD-150. Sure, the 150 had a lot more, including DVCam tape support, but ultimately he chose the $1300 less VX2000, which gives the same picture. Would anyone watching at home know which model he shoots stuff on?

heath

Ben Chancey
February 12th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Yeah you guys are killing me. I was already today to get the FX-1 from Circuit City for 3700 including a 3 year warranty and service plan. Couple that with 0 percent interest for 12 months and I was sold. But I went and checked out the FX1-Z1 comparison and there are multiple differences between the two. (40) plus altogether. I know what you are both saying and it is very tough as of right now. Do you guys know of any better deal than what Circuit City is offering on the FX1? How about the Z1U? Thanks for the help.

Barry Green
February 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM
For an FX1, definitely give Rush at EVSonline.com a shot.

For the Z1, I don't think you'll find deals like that -- the Z1 is sold through Sony's professional division, so you'll never see a Z1 in a store like Circuit City or Best Buy, those type of places only carry the consumer lineup (and the FX1 is sold by Sony's consumer division). Places like B&H and EVS and the rest of this site's sponsors can carry both lines.

Shannon Rawls
February 12th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Ben.....buy the FX1 and go fishing!!!

Don't get caught up on features and technical crap....you are a FISHERMAN by golly! grab that camera from Circuit City, get that warranty....and go make some money with that great TV show Cap'n!!!

- Shannon W. Rawls

Heath McKnight
February 12th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I would say that despite the differences, the FX1 is the way to go, with the price. Just add an adaptor for the XLR mics.

heath

Ben Chancey
February 12th, 2005, 10:08 AM
You guys really don't know how much I appreciate your responses and help. Thank you very much. What accessories should I go with? Correct me if I am wrong, the Sony already comes in wide angle so I shouldn't need wide angle lens for it, right? I currently have an XLRPRO adapter for sound. I use an alluminum hard case for my GS400 and I really like it. The case seems to protect well in bumpy weather and I can lock it when transporting it in airports. I also found the great battery website through DVinfo so I can get several at a decent price. I already have a Varizoom shoulder mount and I did have a Varizoom but I returned it because the GS400 didn't have a LANC jack. My last question: I am a little fuzzy on the tape details. If I record to a regular tape I will or will not have HD footage and if I use the $18 tapes will that be the only way to get true HD?
Thanks for everything.

Regards,
Capt Ben

Heath McKnight
February 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I don't think the $18 tapes matter, personally. These are the ones I've used for 6 years with NO problems, including using them in an XL-1, HD10, DVX100A and FX1:

http://www.taperesources-store.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=DV60P-S&dept=6

You may want to get a Pelican Case and pull out some of the foam to form the shape of the camera, batteries, etc. They're FedEx approved!

http://www.pelican-case.com/1400.html

heath

Ben Chancey
February 12th, 2005, 05:53 PM
After reading another thread on here I believe I would rather go with B&H and use their online coupon. Chris mentioned it really helps him out when we order from sponsors on this site so I will try and go with B&H.

Thanks for all the help.

Capt Ben

Ben Chancey
February 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?p=242659

I came across this thread. Is the FX1 still available with an online coupon at B&H photo?

Ben Chancey
February 16th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Here ya go fellas.

After much deliberation to the well thought out opinions from some high integrity DVINFO forum members I decided to go with the Z1U.

Here are my reasons. The airtime slot on ESPN for the Chew ON This Salwater Fishing Show seems to be attainable and if I were to skimp on the over 40 features difference between the X and Z and thus not be able to use the Sony HDV enough to accept the expense of it, then I would be quite ticked at myself.

Here is the order I placed at BH Photo

QtY:
1 Sony Z1U
20 Sony HD tapes
1 Polarizing filter pack
1 Mack 4 year warranty
1 DV tape Rack

Evidently there must be something I am missing because when I made the order with my credit card everything went through well and I was under the impression the cam was on it's way as of Monday. However the order was cancelled due to credit card protection services (I just have to call and authorize the purchase). OH Well, I guess this gives me the opportunity to ask all of you what else I really need to get with the order. So let me have it. I am already at $5600 and have yet to get the case so take it easy on other accessory mentions.

Thanks for all the help.

Capt Ben

Shannon Rawls
February 16th, 2005, 12:47 PM
1. Raingear for the camera? Do you ever shoot in the rain?
2. BATTERIES??? Are you plugged in at all times while out in the ocena? *smile*

- ShannonRawls.com

Tommy Haupfear
February 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Ben, congratulations on the Z1 purchase! Can't wait to see some of your work!

What will become of the GS400? Backup cam? Did you get it repaired?

Ben Chancey
February 16th, 2005, 03:11 PM
The GS is being sent to IL in hopes of a USA fix. I will use the GS as the underwater camera. I am going to get the batteries from that source you guys gave up in an earlier thread. Heck I will probably need about 10 of them. I rarely shoot in the rain. If I had to I would probably use the GS400 with the UW housing. I am going to get that Pilot Case Heath mentioned. I am getting kind of excited. Ready for it to get here.

Heath McKnight
February 16th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Ben,

Who did you buy it from? That's not unusual to have it cancelled on such a huge order.

heath

Ben Chancey
February 16th, 2005, 09:23 PM
It wasn't them it was a security feature on the card. I called BH today and it is on the way.

Heath McKnight
February 16th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Sweet!

h

Steven Gotz
February 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM
B&H checks every large order. They are reliable, but they want to make sure that you are. If they call your house and you call back, they figure you must be for real.