View Full Version : DVD Ripping Software Booms

Glenn Gipson
February 9th, 2005, 04:21 PM
The Electronic Frontier Foundation says encyrpting DVDs is a waste of time.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1093&ncid=1093&e=2&u=/pcworld/20050209/tc_pcworld/119549

Harrison Murchison
February 10th, 2005, 02:44 PM
DAmn pirates

Daniel Runyon
February 17th, 2005, 04:03 AM
Actually, I use DVD Shrink to copy my sons DVD's so he can keep the copies in his room and play them at will. He's 3 years old and hes a movie fanatic, but of course he sometimes gets them scratched up. I BOUGHT the Star Wars trilogy DVD's, which are his absolute favorite, and he has his own copies that are easily replaced if damaged. I would be mighty pissed if this fair use right was taken away by some ultimately successful anti copy measure. I'm already pissed about the DVD's that wont play on a computer. That ALL I use to watch DVD's, unless I'm in my sons playroom watching one with him on his TV.

Glenn Gipson
February 17th, 2005, 06:32 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Runyon : Actually, I use DVD Shrink to copy my sons DVD's so he can keep the copies in his room and play them at will. He's 3 years old and hes a movie fanatic, but of course he sometimes gets them scratched up. I BOUGHT the Star Wars trilogy DVD's, which are his absolute favorite, and he has his own copies that are easily replaced if damaged. I would be mighty pissed if this fair use right was taken away by some ultimately successful anti copy measure. I'm already pissed about the DVD's that wont play on a computer. That ALL I use to watch DVD's, unless I'm in my sons playroom watching one with him on his TV. -->>>

I don't know....I think copying DVDs should be illegal. You can't buy a car and make a back up copy of that for free, or a house, or a computer, etc.,etc. I just think the back up copy argument is an excuse for those whom benefit from it (like p2p networks, who would be DEAD without piracy) to continue.

Robert Knecht Schmidt
February 17th, 2005, 07:44 AM
"You can't buy a car and make a back up copy of that for free."

Sure you can, for the cost of materials and your own labor, just as with DVDs.

People build houses and computers all the time.

Glenn Gipson
February 17th, 2005, 08:10 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : "You can't buy a car and make a back up copy of that for free."

Sure you can, for the cost of materials and your own labor, just as with DVDs.

People build houses and computers all the time. -->>>

So you are saying that a person that copies a DVD of my movie is paying for the actors, props, etc.,etc. in the process of duplication?

Brandon Greenlee
February 17th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I personally think if you buy something you then should have full access to do whatever you want with it. It is no longer their product - it is yours.

Regardless of the stance one takes on the issue - I think its blatantly obvious something major is going to have to change in music and movie distribution over the next 5 years.

They can keep shutting down p2p (Napster - Morpheus/Kazaa - Suprnova.org - Lokitorrent.com), but there is always going to be a way to attain this stuff without buying it.

Until the RIAA MPAA comes up with a solution thats viable. (Unlimited song downloads for $10.00/month) or something that will make hassling to get everything illegaly just too much of a hassle to the alternative. The network would need to have full quality and ease of use. I don't really know anyone who would keep going through the hassles of illegal p2p downloading if the same material was available across a good quality network for a decent monthly price.

Well this is just my view on it I guess...

Daniel Runyon
February 17th, 2005, 11:56 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson : <<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : "You can't buy a car and make a back up copy of that for free."

So you are saying that a person that copies a DVD of my movie is paying for the actors, props, etc.,etc. in the process of duplication? -->>>

DVD's are VERY fragile, and if you had a DVD obsessed three year old in your home, you'd probably head to the net and find out how to make him copies too. Cars are relatively sturdy, heavy duty equipment, and most three year olds arent getting up under them and scratching them up making them unplayable. When you've bought a DVD, your essentially paying for the right to watch that movie on your TV or computer for the rest of your life. There is no reason you shouldnt be able to take a logical step that insures that right is not taken away prematurely, and I love it because my son gets a serious boost in his own independence by being able to have his own movie library (which includes several DVD's from the Brainy Baby, Baby Einstein, Leap Frog, Star Wars, Wizard Of Oz, Back To The Future(which he saw trailers for on his ET DVD and requested and LOVES it!) and so on. He doesnt have to come ask me to put one on for him, he's got his own bin to keep them in and KNOWS how to work his DVD/VHS combo player! If one gets scratched up and will no longer play, such as his Secret Of Nimh which was the original inspiration for starting copying, I just make him a new one off the master and he's back in business.

As far as the actors, execs and props and so on, If youve bought a DVD youve done your part on paying them.

Rob Lohman
February 18th, 2005, 05:42 AM
For the same reason I make copies of my audio CD's for in the car.
(which by the way is fully legal BY LAW here in Holland, it's even
legal here to make a copy of a video/DVD/audio CD when you do
NOT own it [so downloading that stuff is legal here as well], but
not software. It isn't legal to distribute material though).

However, whether your 3 year old should have DVD's he can
watch without your presense is something I'd be more concerned
about (I can't imagine a 3 year old watching Star Wars?)

Another funny thing here: beer bottles (like as in glass) are marked
that these are still the property of the beer manufacturer, even
if you bought it.

Daniel Runyon
February 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM
"However, whether your 3 year old should have DVD's he can
watch without your presense is something I'd be more concerned
about (I can't imagine a 3 year old watching Star Wars?)"

Sure, it's not something I havent thought about. But more often than not when he watched Star Wars in particular, I watch it with him. It is his FAVORITE movies, and it's been an impressive exerience. He's been watching the original trilogy with me for quite some time now, and it is absolutely amazing to hear the types of questions he asks as we watch. He is learning some very intricate stuff at an early age, and I think overall it has been very benefical. I was 3 when my mother took me to see Star Wars on the big screen, and I remember it very vividly. It made a lasting impression on me, and has since grown into one of the biggest influences on my life, and I'm sure that as my son gets older and older, his questions will get better and better and can facilitate the learning of lessons that are sadly uncommon in most humans today. It's been a tough call, but I really do think its been the right decision even though it wears a questionable surface. Not to mention, his playroom adjoins my room, so I wouldnt exactly call it "without my presense" as I can see him from right here in my computer station.

Think on this. In Star Wars, more than ANY other movies on Earth, there are very clear and deep archetypal distinctions between the good guys and the bad guys. Darth Vader is the most clearly defined bad guy EVER in a movie, period. He has already grasped a profound understanding of Darth Vaders redemption and I've been simply amazed. I also feel that the violent content in Star Wars has a very subtle but profound difference than any other set of movies in the history of cinema, and it is balanced out BRILLIANTLY by such child psyche friendly characters as R2 and C3P0, the Ewoks, Chewie, and so on. As a matter of fact it was him getting a glimps of R2 as I was watching it one day that began his passion for the movies. I've given it a lot of thought actually, and I really do feel like its been a good thing. Thats the only movie of that sort he gets to watch. Right now he likes Napoleon Dynamite!

Daniel

Boyd Ostroff
February 18th, 2005, 04:37 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Daniel Runyon : DVD's are VERY fragile, and if you had a DVD obsessed three year old in your home, you'd probably head to the net and find out how to make him copies too. -->>>

Wow... I'm wondering how my daughter ever made it to the age of 23 without having her own indestructible set of DVD's at age 3? She did manage to break just about every other toy we gave her though. Honestly, no I don't think I would give a 3 year old their own DVD's and player if they couldn't handle them. But if I did, then perhaps learning that "if you break it then it's gone" wouldn't be an entirely bad lesson...

Robert Knecht Schmidt
February 18th, 2005, 11:03 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Gipson :
So you are saying that a person that copies a DVD of my movie is paying for the actors, props, etc.,etc. in the process of duplication? -->>>

No more than a person who builds his own Corvette clone is paying for the engineering that originally went into the design of the car, and the massive distribution and sales structures that go into selling Corvettes.