View Full Version : Panasonic AJ-HDX100 (moved from Industry News)

Kurth Bousman
February 11th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Check out the article at camcorderinfo - 24p hdv recording to tape for less than 10k

Dylan Couper
February 11th, 2005, 08:18 PM
I hope it is at least XL2 size, if not full size.

Glenn Gipson
February 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM
The camera is not HDV, it's HD.

Chris Hurd
February 12th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Time for a new board?

Heck, a whole new category, for DVCProHD. We'll throw the VariCam in there too, I guess.

Joe Carney
February 12th, 2005, 10:37 PM
The only down side is Vegas users will probably have to switch to another nle to use it. FCP and Adobe already license the codec. I hope I'm wrong.

Glenn Gipson
February 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Carney : The only down side is Vegas users will probably have to switch to another nle to use it. FCP and Adobe already license the codec. I hope I'm wrong. -->>>

You know...I was just thinking that myself. I may have to switch from Vegas to FCP. Vegas is an odd NLE. It is rock solid, and easy to work with, but it doesn't have the "professional ambitions" of FCP or Premier.

Jesse Bekas
February 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Records to tape or P2? Good...You can start on the cheap with tapes, and as flash comes down in price, the P2 option will be more and more valuable. "future proofing" in a way.

Can a miniDV tape handle DVCPRO100, though?

Glenn Gipson
February 13th, 2005, 05:20 PM
>>Can a miniDV tape handle DVCPRO100, though?<<

Good question, I sure as heck would like to know the answer to that one. Anyone care to speculate?

Chris Hurd
February 13th, 2005, 05:25 PM
DVCPro HD records at 5.4MBs, which is way beyond DV at 3.5MBs. So, standard MiniDV cassettes? I highly doubt it. However! You could probably pop in a DVCPro AJ-P66M cassette, which is a Mini, and then it would be able to record 66 minutes of plain DVCPro, or 33 minutes of DVCPro 50, or about 16 minutes of DVC Pro HD. How's that?

Interesting how we're all speculating that it'll have a Mini cassette chassis -- which I imagine is probably right; I can't see them putting a full-size cassette on something that's supposed to be small in form factor and under $10K.

Dylan Couper
February 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Dangit...

How much longer do we have to wait to find out????????

Chris Hurd
February 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Panasonic's press releases usually come out around the eve of NAB (April).

Daniel Broadway
February 13th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Jan Crittenden who is a project manager at Panasonic, said that the DVCPROHD video would be recorded to the P2 cards, and DVCPRO25/50 on a tape.

Bob Zimmerman
February 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
How about more leaks? Someone out there knows something. We need a picture. The hype needs to keep going. The what if stuff is going to get old. We need a few facts.

Chris Hurd
February 14th, 2005, 11:20 AM
The thing is, Bob, even product managers like Jan are bound by their NDA's (non-disclosure agreements) not to release key information until they deem the time to be right. Then they'll announce a press release, probably right before NAB.

Bob Zimmerman
February 14th, 2005, 11:57 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : The thing is, Bob, even product managers like Jan are bound by their NDA's (non-disclosure agreements) not to release key information until they deem the time to be right. Then they'll announce a press release, probably right before NAB. -->>>

I'm sure they are,,,,,,but it would be nice to know alittle more. I hate to wait if you know what I mean.

Chris Hurd
February 14th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, I know exactly what you mean! I've been under NDA myself and it is legally binding... to sum it up, "those who know, won't tell, and those who will tell, don't know." No doubt though there will probably be some tidbits popping up here and there prior to its official announcement.

Chris Hurd
February 14th, 2005, 01:09 PM
We were speculating about tape a few posts up, but Jan has hinted: "but this little camera will not record to tape, rather to memory, P2 cards. No moving parts except those in the lens."

As far as I'm concerned, no tape at all would be a great thing.

Bob Zimmerman
February 14th, 2005, 02:20 PM
no tape would be ok with me as long as a P2 card isn't $4,000. I bought a Nikon D100 SLR last year. No film is great. Take a picture on compactflash, download to the iMac, adjust, burn to CD and print pictures. Erase compactflash and start over.

That would be the way to go with video too.

Young Lee
February 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
"The camera is not HDV, it's HD."

It's as if you're saying, "It's not TV, it's HBO." :)

Glenn Gipson
February 14th, 2005, 05:18 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Young Lee : "The camera is not HDV, it's HD."

It's as if you're saying, "It's not TV, it's HBO." :) -->>>

Basically. The difference between HDV and DVCPROHD is like the difference between a stream and a Tsunami. Just hate to see misinformation spread.

Chris Hurd
February 14th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Thanks, Glenn -- there is a world of difference between HDV and DVCPro HD. They may both be high definition video formats, but they are still two completely different formats.