View Full Version : dvcpro hd archiving issues

Robert Mann Z.
February 14th, 2005, 03:30 PM
when shooting 50mbps

i shoot a lot of b-roll, a lot of snowboarding events, sponsorship videos...i would love to get the resolution and color of 50mbps...many of my shots exceed the boundries of 25mbps...

but

today i can pull out a tape i shot in 1998 or one i shot last week, i can also shoot and shelf my footage without any thing more then logging a tape into the database...

the p2 system sounds like it would create more work for folks like me, first i have to buy the cards ($$$) then i have to buy a deck just for archiving footage, back onto tape (what kind of tape?)

and just as a side note, what was thinking of using sd type medium for the p2 system when compact flash is going to hitting the 20gig mark in 2006, imagine 2 of those in a p2 slot ..

http://tinyurl.com/43e35

Chris Hurd
February 14th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Archiving to DVCPro HD tape media may be an expensive proposition, given the cost of these decks... but it's conceivable that you could go the rental route for those occasions when you're ready for mastering. It would just be the one-day rental rate plus the media cost. If you're in a big city that offers such a facility, this could be one approach to it.

Greg Boston
February 14th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Robert,

Given the low cost of recordable DVD media and drives these days, I would suggest using them to archive P2 card data. After all, the cards are listed as 4gb and a single sided dvd is 4.7gb. Sounds like a good match, one card = one data dvd. I think it would make a pretty robust archival system. If you wanted to burn a dual layer data dvd, you could store 2 card's worth on one disc. And if the cards increase in capacity, you'll have the option to use one dual layer disc per card.

Just a thought...

-gb-

Jesse Bekas
February 15th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I think of the P2 system as something to worry about later, (when I can afford it ;) ), and just use a great DVCPRO50 cam in the meantime.

By the time I'm using P2 heavily, I'm assuming we'll have either 30GB HD-DVD, or 50GB Blu-ray media to backup to.

Robert Mann Z.
February 15th, 2005, 07:46 AM
jesse DVCPRO50 only records to the p2 system NOT tape in this new camera

greg, thats a great idea but not sure that would work out for me...number 1 dvds as a storage media are not proven, the glue in recordable dvds is the leading agent in dvds going bad over time...

this work flow would also not be ideal for me if clips would have to be broken over a couple of disks

chris i believe that the new DVCPRO hd deck is 20 grand or something like that DVCPRO50 is cheaper, renting for me in nyc sounds like the better option...its a different workflow but i guess its what i would have to do...if i needed something fom my archive i would have to go rent the deck again...aagh

so far my best solution is to buy a ton of those regular ata ide hardrives i get 200-250 with rebates for around 70 dollars with rebates thats a very cheap per megabyte storage solution...not as cheap as tape though

i cannot believe i'm the only one that see this as an issue, i guess not many 'tape archive' ....

Jesse Bekas
February 15th, 2005, 09:24 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mann Z. : jesse DVCPRO50 only records to the p2 system NOT tape in this new camera-->>>

Yowsa! I thought 25 and 50 were to tape!? Oh well.

It's going to be a loooong 6 weeks.