View Full Version : EX3 Recording Solutions

John M. McCloskey
September 16th, 2009, 10:49 AM
At 50 mbs or 100 mbs (1080) which tapeless recording solution on the market will hold the most media. With a typical shoot of ours we will shoot between 360 to 520 minutes in remote areas. Is there anything that can hold that much media that can be attached to your EX3 camera, Nano Flash, Firestore, ETC.... Definitly dont want to buy 6 to 10 SXS cards X 8 Field Producers =48 to 80 SXS cards, Ouch. THanks

Doug Jensen
September 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
John,

This unit has not been released yet, but I think it will solve your problem.
PXU-MS240 Mobile Storage Unit From Sony (http://www.storagenewsletter.com/news/disk/sony-pxu-ms240-mobile-storage-unit)

Give a PXU-MS240 and two SxS cards (even 8GB) to each of your field prducers, and they could shoot for days. 240GB capacity. 10X transfer speed. No computer needed. Built-in error checking. Battery operated. And more reliable than SD cards.

How much? I think it will cost less than $1500 including one 240GB cartridge. Additional cartridges might cost around 400 bucks. Not as cheap as other hard drives, but they aren't ordinary hard drives. Would you pay $1500 for the equivalent of a 240GB SxS card? I would.

Alister Chapman
September 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The OP was looking for 50 or 100Mb/s recording. I would go with the NanoFlash and a Nexto ND2725.

If you get 4x 32Gb cards for the NanoFlash at 50Mb/s that gives around 4 hours of record time. Then offload to a 500Gb Nexto which will hold 15 hours of material for $500 ish.

John M. McCloskey
September 16th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Great, the link to Nexto is Nexto DI - Next Generation Storage with Digital Interface (http://www.nextodiusa.com) thanks for the help..

Doug Jensen
September 16th, 2009, 01:28 PM
The OP was looking for 50 or 100Mb/s recording.
Thanks Alister. I need to get glasses! :-)

NanoFlash is definately the way to go.

Alister Chapman
September 16th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Ohhhh don't talk to me about glasses. I had to get reading glasses for the first time this week.

Have you tried the NanoFlash yet Doug? It's sweet.

Doug Jensen
September 16th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Nope, I haven't tried it yet but Dennis Dillon raves about it. If you and Dennis say it's good, that's good enough for me. I just don't have a need for buying one it at this time.

The HQ mode of the EX3 is plenty good enough for me right now, so why bother with the extra gear?

I do have to record HD-SDI and HDMI output from other cameras quite often so I have an EX30 deck mounted in a Pelican case and running off NP1 batteries. (Note: HDMI recording requires an AJA converter). I thought about using the Nano, but the EX30 is so much more versatile and I like keeping all the footage with the same codec and on SxS cards. I can also use the EX30 for playback screening when I get back from a shoot, importing, etc. It's a nice unit and fits my needs better than the Nano. But I'm keeping an open mind because everything I've heard about it is positive.

PS. I starrted using reading glasses last spring. Not even close to needing prescription glasses, though! Knock on wood.

Dennis Dillon
September 16th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Doug,
The step up to 50Mb/100Mb in the Ex line is a big bumped up in quality, but one has to scan the files at 20x20/ or less, pixel sample to see what is really going on. A simple test of random viewers may not see a difference in 90+% of the original EX footage. The real test is in high demand situations for the EX @ 35 Mb. You know the ones. This all comes down to how much compression in a given situation satisfies your needs. A Cost base/Data space analysis, will determine if a Nano, or for that matter any flash system, is right for yourself or your clients. Let the truth be told, my network clients have no F---kn idea what Im talking about, but they do like a pretty picture that drags and drops into their timelines without a hitch.
I have suggested a possible EX/XDCAM workflow to Dan @ CD and Chris @ Sony and we may soon have a great solution to write EX/Nano files 422 50Mb to optical clip folder/Proxies !!!!!. Stay tuned.

Alister Chapman
September 17th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The quality of 35Mb EX footage still amazes me even after 2 years of use. However the nano allows me to do much more with my material in post production and I don't worry so much about multiple generations. I understand your desire to keep everything in one format. I'm looking at making 100Mb/s NanoFlash files my "standard" format. I love being able to take my pocket sized Nano to events to play back footage at 100Mb/s.

Lance Librandi
September 17th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Hello Alister,
I am curious, on the subject of quality if you take 35Mb EX footage put it onto the time line and export to DVD. Then repeat the same process with the Nano files 100Mb/s. Assuming that the same software and settings was used in both cases would you be able to pick the difference.
Thanks

Alister Chapman
September 17th, 2009, 04:52 AM
It depends on whether you grade or treat the footage. If you do any moderate to heavy grading them I would expect the NanoFlash files to have an edge. If you do nothing to the material then I would not expect to see a difference.

Doug Jensen
September 17th, 2009, 05:53 AM
IIf you do any moderate to heavy grading them I would expect the NanoFlash files to have an edge.

That's exactly whey I haven't felt the need to get a Nano. I try to get my footage looking the way I want it in-camera so no grading is needed on 99% if it. And when I do need to adjust something, it is usually minor. I'd love to do a split-screen comparison between SxS and Nano that went all the through my workflow to see if there was any difference.

I've got some green screen work coming up later this year, and the Nano might be just the ticket for that.

Paul Cronin
September 17th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Doug the Nano is worth every penny. If you would like to set up a time we can meet so you can try my Nano.

Doug Jensen
September 17th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Paul, that'd be great. Thanks for the offer. Maybe we can meet at Beavertail in October because I'm out of town this week and I'm booked every day through the end of the month. I might have something else for us to test at the same time if we wait.

Paul Cronin
September 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Sounds good Doug,

I am flat out till the end of the first week of Oct and then on the road most of Nov. So Oct sounds great and Beavertail is a nice place in the afternoon golden light.

I have Sandisk Extreme III and IV cards so we can shoot slow motion in I-Frame and 100 bit rate long GOP.

Just send me an email when you know what works for you.

Darren Ruddock
September 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Hi,

I think I have mentioned before that I love the idea of the Nano Flash. However, I would imagine, it only really comes into play for you lucky chaps who are delivering for broadcast to a network or selling stock footage?

Most stuff we are doing at the moment is for either web video or to SD DVD. I thought about the Nano because you can down-convert on the fly using the IMX codec but, from what I know, ( I don't know much!) IMX is only for professional broadcast delivery and not DVD's. Am I right?

I suppose when Blu-Ray has more of a hold the Nano Flash will be more worth it.

Alister Chapman
September 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
In the latest firmware update CD added the ability to record direct to .mpg files at SD DVD and HD BluRay ready bitrates. The files can be used directly in most DVD authoring packages.

IMX files are a type of Mpeg2 file. At 50Mb/s it is 4:2:2 and very high quality. This would be very suitable as a shooting format for those wanting to produce high quality DVD's.

Darren Ruddock
September 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Alister,

You may be swaying me towards parting with some cash!!! If that can up the quality of SD DVD (no artifacts on moving leaves, grass and improved motion) then I may be very tempted!!

Doug Jensen
September 17th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'd buy one in a second if it could record an HDMI signal that has HDCP (copy protection). I have an HDMI output signal that I regulalry need to record from a particular piece of equipment and, although I created the content myself, the device itself adds HDCP to all output -- thus making it impossible for me to record the signal with any HD recorder (or signal converter) that I can find. It seems that once HDCP has been added to a signal, nobody is willing to build a device that can record it. If the NanoFlash could overcome that hurdle, I'd buy one immediately.

Dan Keaton
September 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Dear Doug,

As much as we would like to, the law is very clear about this.

We just can't do it.

I know it is unlikely, but is there a menu or switch that can be used to turn off the "Broadcast Bit" in your equipment.

If you let me know the manufacturer, and model number, of the equipment, I will be happy to research to see what I can find. You can send me a private email if you wish.

Doug Jensen
September 18th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Dan,

Thank you for the offer to take a closer look at my situation. I will PM you later this morning with the details.

I hope you don't think I was singling out the NanoFlash for not being able to record HDCP encoded signals. I know it is an industry-wide issue.

Thanks.

Darren Ruddock
September 18th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Going back to the IMX files...has anyone edited with them in FCP? Just wondered if there are any major hurdles?

Alister Chapman
September 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
No problem with IMX provided you have version 6.0.4 of FCP or higher. It may work with earlier versions but I'm not sure. IMX is part of the Sony XDCAM family. It was introduced as a replacement/upgrade of the Betacam SX cameras about 7 or 8 years ago, so it's a very mature format. The first generation SD XDCAM PDW-530P used IMX as well and it's now available as an option on the PDW-700 and standard on the PDW-F800. Several European broadcasters use IMX as their format of choice for high quality SD work. At 50Mb/s it's better than Digibeta.

Darren Ruddock
September 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I want it!!!

Ramji Meena
September 19th, 2009, 12:23 AM
hi
I have updated the firmware 1.0.64 to my NanoFlashXDR,

There is one more download available on CD website.It is file convertor 1.2 .What is the use and what is it?

I have ordered two swit batteries and charger.They also suply 4pin xlr cable with d trap.Is it going to work ?I mean is it same as 4 pin hirose connector cable? please help me somebody.

Dan Keaton
September 19th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Dear Ramji,

If you download the File Converter, there is documenation included in the download.

This is a Mac based program.

The File Converter serves multiple purposes.

To name a few:

1. Converts MOV to MXF.

2. Copy files from one folder to another or CompactFlash card.
This copies are specially made so that the destination files are unfragmented files on the Mac.

3. Allows large files, up to 30 GB, such as a project rendered to our specifications in Final Cut Pro, to be copied back to a CompactFlash card so it can be played on a Flash XDR or nanoFlash.

Paul Cronin
September 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM
And the software works very well. Thanks Dan. Just had 12 more cards arrive the Nano is working hard.

Dan Keaton
September 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM
hi

I have ordered two swit batteries and charger.They also supply 4pin xlr cable with d trap.Is it going to work ?I mean is it same as 4 pin hirose connector cable? please help me somebody.

Dear Ramji,

The Swit batteries have Female D-Tap power outlets.

You need our Male D-Tap to 4-Pin Female Power Cable to power the nanoFlash.

As far as I know, we do not supply a D-Tap to 4-Pin XLR cable.

We make a Flash XDR and a nanoFlash.

Since you mentioned "nanoFlashXDR", I do not know if you have a Flash XDR or a nanoFlash.

The Power Input connector for the nanoFlash is a 4-Pin Male Hirose, wired Pin-1 = Positive, Pin-4 = Negative.
Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector.

The Power Input connector for the Flash XDR is a 4-Pin Male XLR, wired Pin-1 = Ground, Pin-4 = Positive.
Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female XLR Connector.

A D-Tap to 4-Pin XLR cable, wired so that Pin-1 = Ground, Pin-4 = Positive could be used to power the Flash XDR, but has no application for the nanoFlash.

A 4-Pin XLR cable is not the same as a 4-Pin Hirose cable.

Dan Keaton
September 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
And the software works very well. Thanks Dan. Just had 12 more cards arrive the Nano is working hard.

Thanks Paul!

Ramji Meena
September 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Thank you Dan,
I have a nanoflash.

1.Please also tell me how I can i copy the file convertor?Should I copy it to my Mac book pro which has FCP?

The Power Input connector for the nanoFlash is a 4-Pin Male Hirose, wired Pin-1 = Positive, Pin-4 = Negative.Thus a power cable must have a 4-Pin Female Hirose connector. ..... A 4-Pin XLR cable is not the same as a 4-Pin Hirose cable.

2.You will not believe Dan this 4pin hirose cable is not available in India and if import it the shipping is more than the cost of the cable .It really frustating.

Dan Keaton
September 20th, 2009, 03:26 AM
Dear Ramji,

Yes, our File Converter is a program for your Mac.

Download and install it on your Mac.

Please read the documentation that comes with the converter.

If you order a D-Tap to 4-Pin Female Hirose cable, I will do my best to ship it the most economical way. I could ship it via the United States Postal Service. It may take longer than FedEx, but it should cost less.

Ramji Meena
September 20th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you Dan
probably on monday i will place an order on your website
Ramji

Dan Keaton
September 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Dear Ramji,

Please just send me a private message via DVInfo.net or send me an email directly to order the cable.

To send a private message, just left click on my name to the left, then click on "Send Email to Dan Keaton".

My email is

Dan (at) Convergent-Desgn (dot) com