View Full Version : DVD-R or DVD+R -- Which is here to stay?

March 19th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Hi "Guys",

I'm shopping for a DVD player/recorder to use with my television.

Which media looks like it will be here to stay? DVD-R(W) or DVD+R(W)

Or don't we know yet?

I've searched the net, but haven't gotten any real answers to this question...

Thanks for your suggestions...

Dan

Rhett Allen
March 19th, 2005, 08:02 PM
As far as I can tell... neither! Everybody's arguing about HD-DVD and Blue-Ray now! Surely you can find one that will record both can't you? DVD- seems to be most compatible with other players but it's not the rule.

Brandon Greenlee
March 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Yes, they are both here to stay. This debate is already settled and didn't end in a clear winner and I don't believe Blue-Ray or HD-DVD will either.

Almost all settop recorders use only DVD+R. There are a few out now that do use DVD-R, but not many.

DVD-R runs ~92% compatibility rate with other players.
DVD+R runs ~85%.

However, since the + burners are much more available therefore cheaper - and unless maximum compatibility with other players is required - a DVD+R burner will work just fine.

March 19th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I'd like a DVD recorder which I can input my digital video via
firewire.

Any suggestions for one at a reasonable price?

Thanks again,
Dan

Brandon Greenlee
March 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
I bought an Ilo DVDR04 from walmart for $138.

After updating the newest firmware available from their website - it has worked great. I've probably ran about 30 discs through it this week alone.

I would recommend you take a look at it.

Patrick King
March 20th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Look for compatibility here: VideoHelp (http://www.videohelp.com/dvd).

Really good resource, bookmark it because within the next six-months I'll bet you'll want to revisit it.

The thing that burns me up is that while the trend in set-top players is compatibility with both -R and +R, the trend in off the shelf computers is exactly the opposite; its one or the other. And why are the highest priced set-tops (Onkyo) the least compatible?

March 20th, 2005, 11:16 PM
As a rule, I don't shop at WalMart, but if I can purchase that same machine
somewhere else, I might consider it.

Thanks!

Brandon Greenlee
March 20th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Sure, I just purchased this one because even after looking around online I hadn't found any with a cheaper price. Plus there were some pretty encouragin reviews on this one.

This Ilo is just a rebadged version of some Lite-On DVD burner out there. A quick search should pull it up for you.

Also, I'm pretty sure any other brand should serve you well. Just run a quick google search before you purchase it to make sure.

March 21st, 2005, 09:43 AM
thanks, I'll have to check that out.
when the new HD DVD's come out, will this take a special
recorder and/or player? And will movies be distributed in this format?

Patrick Jenkins
March 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM
DVD-R

People who don't know - but do know about CD-R burning - will get DVD-R rather than +R mainly because the + character is different. There are no CD+Rs.

I have asked people this same thing before (in a fact-finding / non accusatory way obviously) and I've heard this repeated about a dozen and a half times.