View Full Version : Using HVR-MCR1 as external recorder ...

Stuart McAlister
September 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hello All,

Normally, this is the PAL 4:3 workflow:

- record studio output on a studio DV tape machine
- log and capture through FCP

This is what I'm trying to do;

- record studio output on the HVR-MCR1 via the Firewire output of the DV tape machine
- log and transfer via FCP

With the HVRA-CR1 cradle powered up, the HVR-MCR1 connected and a 16GB Flash Card installed, the Firewire output of the tape machine is then connected. 'Play' and 'Record' are then pressed on the HVR-MCR1 and the on-screen display tells me that files are being recorded.

After recording, 'iLink' is selected as the input of the DV tape machine. 'Play' is pressed on the HVR-MCR1 and the recorded images appear on the monitor. Audio is present through the sound desk.

Doesn't seem to be a problem? Well, here's the thing ...

Once back in the edit suite, the files on the Flash Card will not work through log and capture in FCP. Although the card says the files are on there, they cannot be transfered the usual way (had I recorded them via the Z7).

On closer inspection, the files on the Flash Card are .avi files but can be dragged straight off the card and into FCP. However, there is a warning which comes up on FCP that says "the following files are not optimised for Final Cut Pro".

However, they are readable ... is there a real difference and what should I do to correct this?

Thanks for your time and expertise ...

Stu

** EDIT **
Upon the warning given by FCP saying that "files are not optimised for Final Cut Pro", I have tried using the Media Manager ... although they re-record the fils as .avi, they still do not work in FCP without a secondary warning saying much the same thing.

Ed Quinto
September 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
Did you try:

Setting - DV Filetype - Raw DV? Might work, I've only use the machine as an external HDV recording device.

Stuart McAlister
September 24th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks Ed,

I had assumed that with the Firewire connected, the card recorder could figure out what type of signal was being received and, thus, switch to that exact recording mode.

Stuart

John Knight
September 25th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I'm trying to do something similar.... record an HDV timeline out via firewire and onto CF card.

Using Premiere Pro CS3, with the CF card reader attached via firewire, I can select FILE / EXPORT TO TAPE and it begins the normal "Transcoding to HDV" routune, but eventually comes back with "Cannot find Tape".

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Zach Love
September 26th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I'm trying to do something similar.... record an HDV timeline out via firewire and onto CF card.

Using Premiere Pro CS3, with the CF card reader attached via firewire, I can select FILE / EXPORT TO TAPE and it begins the normal "Transcoding to HDV" routune, but eventually comes back with "Cannot find Tape".

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

That may be too much to ask, but I don't know for sure, just my instincts would say that unless the computer is sending a similar output to what the camera sends out you won't have much luck.

I think it is interesting that files you're getting are .AVI, I have used my MCR1 w/ a HVX200 in tape mode and I get .DV files (which btw they transcode WICKED fast, I brought in a 21min clip into FCP in under 3min).

How are you bringing the files into FCP? Are you using log & transfer? Do you have the Sony plug-in installed?

Worse comes to worse, you can always run media manager to convert the video files into a flavor of .MOV that FCP desires.

Frank Heney
December 8th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I have a CF firewire card reader. Is it possible to export an FCP project to the CF card to take it home and continue working on it after my shift at work is over?