View Full Version : PAL DV Material for NTSC DVD Project. How do I go about it?

Ron Pfister
November 29th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Dear all:

I'm a new member to this forum, although I've been lurking for a while. I have made the jump into DV, and bought an XL-1s this week.

One of my first projects is to shoot footage on my XL-1s (PAL version) and use this footage for a DVD-project.

The problem: the DVD has to play on standard US (I believe NTSC??) DVD Set Top players

The tools I have available: Final Cut Pro 2, Cleaner 5, iDVD 2

How do I prepare my footage for NTSC (if that's even needed) while retaining maximum quality (using the tools I have)?

Also, I'd appreciate any other infos on snags I could encounter along the way...

Guy Pringle
December 1st, 2001, 12:33 AM
Ron...

I'm no expert, but....here's two thoughts:
1) Check to see if the DVD deck can play back both NTSC and PAL, if so then no problem.
2) If not, I think your only option is to convert your edited master, that's still in PAL, to NTSC and then make your NTSC DVD copy. Transfering from the better quality PAL origination to NTSC will mean it is as good if not better than if you shot it originally on NTSC. You'll have to find a professional Transfer/Duplications Company to do the PAL to NTSC conversion.

Kjeld Smed
December 9th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Hi Ron,

Did You find a solution on this problem??

Here I can only go from Pal to a Beta- NTSC tape from a lab not mini-DV.

Kjeld

Ron Pfister
December 9th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Hello all!

I know I can convert PAL footage to NTSC in QuickTime Pro Player and in Cleaner. The problem is, that I have no way of testing if this footage looks ok on an NTSC TV...

Any ideas how I can be sure this all works out?

TIA,

Ron