View Full Version : Converting 4:3 to Widescreen

Yegor Sak
April 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM
I've been working on a small test project, and I ran into a problem, due to my stupidity. I shot the first half in widescreen mode, like I wanted, and the second half was shot in 4:3 (fullscreen). Is there a way I can crop/convert the 4:3 version to widescreen so I can properly edit it in premiere??

Any help will be appreciated.

David Stoneburner
April 15th, 2005, 09:10 AM
You should be able to import the 4:3 footage into a 16:9 project. Then using an aspect or zoom function, zoom into the footage by around 33%. You will loose some resolution and parts of the the frame, but it should work. I'm not sure where the zoom is on Premiere, it's been a while since I've done it.

Yegor Sak
April 15th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Aspect fuction adds 2 black bars on the left + right side, so like you said, I will probably have to zoom. I think it would be easier if I import 2 files that are identical and work with those in premiere. I just need some 3rd party program that can do this for me...

David Stoneburner
April 15th, 2005, 02:55 PM
The thing is that any other program will do the same thing that Premiere is going to do. I think there is a program that does things like that and much more, called something like DVfilm or filmDV. I've seen it mentioned on the board before.

Good luck.

Yegor Sak
April 15th, 2005, 03:11 PM
You got a link to their site by any chance?

Joshua Provost
April 15th, 2005, 05:09 PM
It's DVFilm Maker (http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/). It does this conversion and a whole lot more (especially deinterlacing to and converting to 24p). Great program. Well worth the money.

Yegor Sak
April 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hmm I can't get it to work with NTSC format. It only seems to accespt PAL.

And it does it at about 1 frame per 10 seconds....