View Full Version : NAB: The day I realized I married the perfect woman

Luis Caffesse
April 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Okay, so I just had to share this with people who could relate.

I got married back in November.
My wife is by no means a tech geek like me, and I've been driving her nuts for the past month with 'upcoming nab news and rumours.' She's heard enough about p2 and hd to last her a lifetime. God bless her she puts up with it.

Well, she knows Nab is this week..and she knows how much I look forward to hearing all the announcments, etc (even though she couldn't care less about them and doesn't even know what NAB stands for).

So I wake up this morning, go to the kitchen...and what do I find?

The coffee is already brewed, and next to the full coffee pot is a box of 'Whoppers' (my favorite candy I'm not afraid to admit). On the box of Whoppers is a card in an envelope.

I opened it up, and the card read:

"To my husband,
Happy NAB Day!
I hope you have a great day. Know that I love you and support you even if I don't understand it all!"

Now you tell me, did I marry the perfect woman or what?
I can't believe I found someone to put up with me, much less support me in my geeky obsessions.
:)

Christopher C. Murphy
April 18th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Luis,

I think I'm going out with her sister. ;)

Seriously, my girlfriend is amazing just like your wife. My girlfriend works all day in Boston and has a long commute. She lets me stay home and goof off with this stuff we do. It's amazing really. Before I met her I'd always worked 60 hour weeks busting ass. I'm 32 and had my first job at 11! I worked for about 20 years with most of them without vacations. So, my girlfriend said I need a rest. Can you believe that??! Now, I'm walking around my yard all day playing farmer...then go back into my studio and play, back out in the yard. I'm going to marry this girl before someone else scoops her up.

Greg Boston
April 18th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Luis,

I think I'm going out with her sister. ;)

Seriously, my girlfriend is amazing just like your wife. My girlfriend works all day in Boston and has a long commute. She lets me stay home and goof off with this stuff we do. It's amazing really. Before I met her I'd always worked 60 hour weeks busting ass. I'm 32 and had my first job at 11! I worked for about 20 years with most of them without vacations. So, my girlfriend said I need a rest. Can you believe that??! Now, I'm walking around my yard all day playing farmer...then go back into my studio and play, back out in the yard. I'm going to marry this girl before someone else scoops her up.

My story is similar to yours Murph. Good-bye corporate life!

-gb-

Luis Caffesse
April 18th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Yeah Murph, my only question is...why is she your girlfriend and not your wife yet? (only kidding, no reason to rush that one...my wife and I dated for 7 years before getting married back in november)

Woman like these are few and far between my friend.
It's days like today that remind me what makes her so perfect for me.

Never mind the fact that she has actually called me from work to ask me if anything exciting came out, or if "that P2 thing" was as good as I had hoped.

Pete Bauer
April 18th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Luis,
OBVIOUSLY, y'all are still NEWLYWEDS! See if in a few years she still does everything wonderful she does now! ;)
Just kiddin'. It IS possible...even after 6+ years, my wife is infinitely tolerant with my technostuff habit.
Best wishes!

Murph,
She's just waiting for you to hit it big in movies (like Spielberg) and be able to buy her a ranch!

Greg,
We do need to get together one of these days to shoot the bull...I need a dose of encouragement/courage to take earliest retirement next year from my day job and devote even more time to multimedia! That'll be the true test of love...when I give up a well-paying, secure, and actually pretty darn cool day job to shoot video for cash! (I'm bettin' she'll hang with me). ;)

Aaron Koolen
April 18th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Luis, that is the coolest story I have heard in a long long time. Seriously - that's wonderful.

Aaron

Steven Gotz
April 18th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Way back when I wanted to upgrade from my 9600 baud modem, I was looking at the inexpensive 14,400 boxes and my wife saw a brand new 28,800 on display. She innocently asked me if 28.8 was twice as good as 14.4, and I said yes. She then pointed put that the 28.8 was not twice as expensive so it was a better deal, and I should get that one.

I could on say "I love you dear."

I had never been state-of-the-art before. I am often on the leading edge now. I like it better this way.

This is the same woman that grabs for the tripod to help me pack it up while I put away my camera.

I don't dare question why she loves me, but I do my best to try and keep it that way.

We have only been married 16 years, so we are still newlyweds. But I married a much younger woman and I had to wait for her to grow up before I met her.

Humby Valdes
April 18th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Awesome! Youre one lucky dude luis!

Christopher C. Murphy
April 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Lol, you guys are so funny! Hey Steven, what's the age difference? I'm 32 and she's 25...I like it. ;)

Also, after reading this thread I'm going to do something special for her tonight. I'm being reminded how lucky I am..

Steven Gotz
April 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM
About the same. We married when I was 36 and she was 30.

Luis Caffesse
April 18th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah, we are still newlyweds....I realize that.

Although I hope to be able to say the same thing when WE are married for 16 years.

We've been together for 7, and still haven't gotten tired of spending time together, so that says something.

For the record, I'm going on 30 (this June) and she is 27.
(not that age seems to have much connection to the strength of a marriage).

I'm about to take my first break from Nab news for the day in order to go pick her up at work.... I'm glad the 'Whoppers' story was enjoyable to someone.
It meant the world to me, and I figured the people here were the only ones who could actually relate to it.

Also, glad to hear this thread has inspired you to do something nice for the women who put up with our bizarre little obsessions. I'll let my wife know that, she'll be happy to hear it (of course i better come up with something nice to do for her first...if not you guys are going to make me look bad)

www.videoindie.com
HVX news links and updates!

Christopher C. Murphy
April 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Lol! To funny...and guess where I'm going right now?? To pick up my girlfriend at the train station. I'm her personal driver...lol

K. Forman
April 18th, 2005, 04:05 PM
If she were truly perfect, there would have been two tickets for nab in the envelope. But she ain't bad ;)

Kevin Wild
April 18th, 2005, 08:00 PM
But how many jellybeans are left in the jar on the nightstand?

(Hope someone gets that.)

Married for 7 years...

KW

Steven Gotz
April 18th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Got it.

Not having kids helps keeps the jelly beans coming out of the jar.

Kevin Wild
April 18th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Yeah, yeah. Rub it in.

2 kids, fewer and fewer jellybeans,

KW

Luis Caffesse
April 18th, 2005, 08:35 PM
My wife just finished reading this thread, and it made her day that the 'whoppers' had an impact on not just me, but a few other people.

So, thanks for keeping my wife happy guys... takes some of the pressure off of me.
Now that she sees how nice everyone is on here, maybe she won't make so much fun of me for being on the boards all the time.

And by the way, she cracked up at the "two tickets to NAB" comment.

Joe Carney
April 18th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Got you all beat. My son is dating a wonderful women who is also his business partner. She goes on shoots with him and when needed, operates the B Camera (learned how from him), tows and drives the boat, handles the contracts, meets with potential clients and sponsers, helps set up crew, fields questions from everyone...lets him crowd up her house with all his gear, and is beautiful and genuinely nice. Even went to SCUBA lessons with him and got certified with him as well.

I told him if he let her get away, I'd never let him forget it. He plans on asking her to marry him very soon now.

I'm not telling anyone here her name or location. Not until the wedding at least.

hehehe.

Charles Papert
April 19th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Ready for day two of NAB, with my lovely girlfriend Amy in tow...she's an actress, knew next-to-nothing about cameras and the rest of this junk before she met me, but she loves going to NAB (this is our second time). She sat through a very informative but pretty hourlong technical presentation on the HVX-200 and P2 cards tonight, and when I thanked her for her patience, she said "no, it was great! See, on an 8 gig card you get 8 minutes of HD, 16 minutes of DVCPRO50" etc etc.

Mostly she loves collecting bags, giveaways and treats from the vendors--and she has fun strapping on the DV-sized stabilizers (she leaves the big ones to me though!)

Luis Caffesse
April 19th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Alright, charles convinced me...next year I'm not making any excuses, I"ll be at NAB and my wife will go with me!

She's never been to Vegas though, so I'm not sure if NAB is the best time to take her.... I'm sure there are other things in vegas she'd rather go see.

You're a lucky guy Charles.
Nadia (my wife) is great, but I have yet to see her put on a DV Stabilizer

www.videoindie.com
HVX News, Links, and Updates as I get them

K. Forman
April 19th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Been married 7 years now. I ate my jelly beans years ago...

Yi Fong Yu
April 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM
hey chris congrats... or pre-congrats anyway. this is that Polish girl right>? g'luck man!

Christopher C. Murphy
April 19th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Yi, that's right...you've met her!! She's quite the gal.

Luis, I think NAB season is the best time to take your lady. Seriously, she'll see just how big your industry is and you'll be able to impress her by pointing out so many "tools" of the trade. It's truly impressive, I've gone about 3 times already and I'm flying out at 5am to make it for the last 2 days. I'm not going to catch everything, but most of it should still be there...I hope. The goodies are probably long gone though!

I'll be in Vegas in 18 hours! Yeeha! Can't wait to see the toys..

Joe Carney
April 21st, 2005, 09:26 AM
I hope to make IBC (I think thats what it's called).

John Hudson
April 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
What a great story; and forget all that newlywed talk. My wife and I are going on 7 Years this June (Total time together is 8.5 years) and it's better than ever; and I'm in the same boat. My wife let's me babble to her aimlessy about my DVX100, Filmmaking and Cinemaese.

Sounds like a wonderful woman!

Here's a sidenot; my wife was in Target with my 5 year old (This week) son and he was 'playing' with another child; he told this kid he was going to be a 'filmmaker' like his dad. (Like I'm a filmmmaker :P Wannabe Filmmaker).

My wife was like "Oh God"