View Full Version : EX-1 with Letus Adaptor vs Canon 5D. Which is better?

Shaun R Walker
September 24th, 2009, 10:26 PM
This question may have already been answered somewhere in these forums, but my cursory search came up empty.

I have just finished editing a long shoot where the camera op shot both EX-1 and 5D. The EX-1 had the standard lens, so the shallow depth of field on the 5D made it's images stand out (not to mention the fact that the camera op had not used the EX-1 to the best of it's ability - I have an EX-1 and know first hand how awesome the images can be from the camera). I have been sorely tempted to get myself a 5D but I don't know whether I should get a Letus DOF Adaptor instead, seeing that I already have an EX-1. From what I saw of the 5D footage, shooting hand-held in nigh on impossible without a shoulder mount/steadicam, and the lack of XLR audio inputs and the 30p frame rate are definite disadvantages. What are your opinions folks?

Chris Barcellos
September 24th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Depth of field adapters are a pain. Period. There is always something to adjust or something to fix. Phil Bloom was really extolling the adapters with the EX-1 before he got a 5D. He seems to have gone silent since he got the 5D, and now has shot the 7D. I am curious to see if he ever goes back. I have to say there seems to be a more organic feel to the adapters. I have shot adapters with the HVX200 and the FX1 and the HV20. As Trammel Hudson has been improving things with the 5D and perhaps the 7D in the future through Magic Lantern, I cannot see a return to adapters.

Vincent Oliver
September 25th, 2009, 12:30 AM
In an ideal world you would keep the EX1 and add a 7D camera for limited Depth of Field work and a wide angle lens for those awkward shots. Neither the 5D, 7D can be a replacement for a high quality camcorder, but they are a useful addition. No doubt as they develop, then maybe they will replace the camcorder.

As for the Letus and others, they do seem like a hefty lump added onto a camera. Think of a balerina wearing army boots.

Tom Hardwick
September 25th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Asking, 'which is better' is leaving it rather open-ended. Which is better at making movies? The EX1 without a shadow of doubt. Which camera makes better images? Well the 5DII has a hugely bigger chip so if limited dof makes it 'better' then it wins that race. You can also fit very expensive lenses to the Canon should you want to - whereas the Sony lens is built down to a price.

tom.

Doug Jensen
September 25th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Just a couple of thoughts.

The 5D and 7D are not equal. The 5D has a full-frame sensor and the 7D has a much smaller APC-S sized sensor that will not give you the same shallow DOF as the 5D. If DOF is your primary reason for buying an SLR, then the 5D is the only one you want to be looking at.

I have never shot with either of the Canons, but I do have a Nikon D300s, Nikon D90, and Nikon D5000 that all shoot 720P video. Personally, I don't think the picture quality is all that good and the rolling shutter problems are huge.

An EX1, or even a Z1U beats those cameras in every single way you want to compare them exccept for the most extreme shallow DOF shots.

I find the SLR cameras to be a big hassle to shoot with it. Anything that can do with an SLR, I can do faster and better with an EX1 and a DOF adapter. I used a Redrock Micro for a couple of weeks this summer and I thought it looked great . . . if that is the look you want. I did not find the Redrock hard to setup or use. I would definately choose it over an SLR any day!!!

Okay, if you're a non-professional and want to shoot some decent looking video, without spending a lot of money, maybe an SLR will let you have your fun. You can go out and shoot and edit a cool looking video every weekend, but are you going to make any money with it? For anyone who considers themsevles a professional, who's goal is to make a living in this business, I think all of the SLR cameras are nothing more than a gimmick or, at best, a useful tool for certain shooting situations that will compliment your "real" video camera. Phil Bloom is one of the most creative shooters I know, he'll make anything look good. Give him a cellphone camera and he'll get better video that most people would get with a RED. But that doesn't mean the cellphone camera is the right camera to use.

Here's a few of my complaints about the new Nikon D300s and the other Nikons:

1) 720P is not true HD

2) It's impossible to see the LCD in the sunshine unless you want to drape a hood over your head like an old fashioned view-camera.

3) Exposure is extremely difficult and/or impossible to control.

4) Huge rolling shutter problems. Even slight motion looks like jello.

5) Very awkward to get yourself postioned to see the LCD screen when the camera is located anywhere but normal eye-level.

6) No last-clip delete function.

7) 5 minute clip length on HD shooting.

8) Not a full-frame 35mm sensor so there's real no DOF advantage.

9) A single 3.5mm mic input with no professional audio controls.

10) No headphone jack.

11) Auto focus is very slow, and manual focus is very hard to judge -- especially outdoors.

12) No zebras.

13) No peaking.

14) No timecode.

15) High compression codec

16) No steady-shot

17) Only offers 24P and I want 30P

"Just because I can pound a nail with a screw driver doesn't make it the right tool for the job."
-- Doug Jensen

"Just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean there's any reason to do it."
-- Doug Jensen

Vincent Oliver
September 25th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Fair points Doug, but take a look at this. As you say in the right hands any camera will perform well - with the exception of my D90 :-(

Images Of Western Australia's Kimberley on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/4685373)

Benjamin Eckstein
September 25th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Just a couple of thoughts.

The 5D and 7D are not equal. The 5D has a full-frame sensor and the 7D has a much smaller APC-S sized sensor that will not give you the same shallow DOF as the 5D. If DOF is your primary reason for buying an SLR, then the 5D is the only one you want to be looking at.

While this IS true, Doug, the DOF characteristics of 7D will be nearly identical to that of 35mm motion picture film which, in my opinion, is sort of the ideal look we are after. I for one am happy that the 7D has this size sensor and that is partly why I am buying it over the 5D, because the DOF will be a little less shallow, meaning that it is more practical for filming motion.

But, yes, if you are after the most razor thin DOF (which can be a real pain to work with at times), the 5D is your tool!

Olof Ekbergh
September 25th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I have both EX3's and a 5DmkII.

I love both cameras.

For video I use the EX3 80-90% of the time. It is way easier to use for video, and the picture quality in general is superior.

However, the 5D is great for DOF and the low light capabilities are truly amazing. It is also great because it is tiny and no-one thinks you are shooting professional HD (unless you go the Zacuto route), so you can shoot in places where you normally could not. I use it a lot with a small "steady bean bag". Also the lens choices are endless. I use it a lot for wide shots with my 17-40 L lens.

If I only could have 1 for video I would pick the EX line. But as a second very good tool I love the 5D. If used for what it does best, it is incredible. But it is definitely not a video cam. You also get one of the best still cameras on the planet.

Doug Jensen
September 25th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Olof, I think that is exactly the right approach to take.

Rick Jones
September 25th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I have both the EX3, Letus Elite and the 5DMKII. I like them both for different things. (I actually use my 5D for stills as well!) But overall if I had to choose only one then I would have to go with the EX3/Letus combo. The quality of the images is spectacular and I have to give my clients the best quality I can. The 5D has it's place and is amazing in low light situations but is not up to par when compared with the EX3. But at least I'm glad I have the option to match the job with the right camera!

Shaun R Walker
September 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys, especially Doug and Rick. You have brought up some really good points that have I guess cemented in my mind the best way to go, Letus Ultimate here I come!

Kevin Lee Yuen
September 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
2) It's impossible to see the LCD in the sunshine unless you want to drape a hood over your head like an old fashioned view-camera.

lol...Hey, whats wrong with that?

Doug Jensen
September 26th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Here's some test footage I shot with my Nikon D300s yesterday and edited this morning.

If you're used to consumer-grade camera equipment then a camera like the D300s might be good enough, but it's certainly no substitute for a pro HD video camera.

The worst thing about shooting with the D300s yesterday is that I blew a chance to shoot it right with the EX3 or EX1 instead. A lost opportunity.

None of the clips have been filtered or graded.

Niikon D300s Movie Mode Test on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/6766140)

Buba Kastorski
September 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
..I have been sorely tempted to get myself a 5D but I don't know whether I should get a Letus DOF Adaptor instead, seeing that I already have an EX-1.
Shaun, don't waist your money on somewhat homemade devices, especially today, when DOF adapters days are almost over, you've seen 5D footage, but I'd say try it yourself and then you'll see what an incredible camera it is, you can't compare it to any DOF adapter;
no matter what GG you'll use, you'll still be able to see those imperfections and it looks just horrible; with 5D you can go as shallow or as deep as you want, plus you'll have an amazing B cam.
I made the same mistake myself, but I sold the bloody Brevis right after i tried 5D :)
best.

Nathan Hudson
September 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM
yeah, well, have fun with the rolling shutter.....true all CMOS cameras have this problem, but it's WAY more apparent in these SLR cameras.

Also, have fun recording only 12 minutes or 5 minutes at a time, or whatever it is, it's limited.

I have to agree that a majority of what the others are saying on here. It's a beautiful picture, however, I would never buy one for video....maybe for stills though.

People are so crazy over having shallow DOF. I am not a huge fan of the adapters either. The EX1 is fully capable if you know how to shoot with it. I can get a really impressive DOF shallow enough when needed. You just need a little more room to shoot.

I've heard about people attempting to do weddings with the 5D and D90. Ridiculous!!! Would you trust your wedding and thousands of dollars to someone who brings a SLR to shoot everything with? I can see it now, Just as the bride says, "I do" it stops recording mid sentence and they have to hit the record button again. I'm sorry, but it seems a slew of people think they are professionals because they have "HD Video with Shallow depth of field". In truth, professionals don't bring still cameras to shoot video or films, when they are being paid, because they know better." Get over the SLR gimmicky video.

Right now, I am dealing with a person who is going to shoot a music video and they chose to have an instructor here at my school, DP and CamOp the shoot with a 5D as the primary camera. He asked me, to be second camera with my EX1. I personally feel now, if that is the direction he is going, that while in no offense to him, I don't want my name on such a product. I know as a student, it would seem that I may know less than this instructor, however, he might be superior as knowing lighting, although, I live breathe eat, and sleep lighting and I'm not a typical student, being almost 30 years old with prior experience. I'm just getting the piece of paper for the better. I am surprised at the decision for this instructor to use this as a primary camera especially with the slew of great cameras at this school that are accessible. I personally, have worked my ass off to be a good camera operator and find it insulting for all that i have put in to my equipment and time, that someone with their SLR is going to be primary camera operation. I'd love to see this guy's demo reel and compare it to mine.

Have you ever noticed the shots that show the beauty of this camera? Predominately Nature shots with very little movement. Usually seems that most shots are on sticks.

I don't want to step on too many toes so please realize, I think the 5D has a purpose. Professional Film/Video is not one of them. Photography and capturing some stunning clips here and there, YES! I just can't stand it when people think that these SLR camera's are the be all and end all. I know they have that sense of pride and are blinded by their nice camera to realize that using the right tool for the job is important and maybe there are better tools for the job.

If your serious about film/video and it's your main concern, then either go with the Sony EX 1/3 series which I happen to like, or a Panasonic HPX300/170 cameras. Using the right tool for the job is what's important. Of course that would be my minimum, not saying you can't go higher end.

Buba Kastorski
September 28th, 2009, 02:53 PM
I've heard about people attempting to do weddings with the 5D and D90. Ridiculous!!!
hey Nathan,
I'm guessing you've never heard of stillmotion

Benjamin Eckstein
September 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
hey Nathan,

Buba, you beat me to it. Was just about to write that.

In addition to StillMotion there are dozens (I am sure way more even) of amazing videos that people are shooting at a professional level on DSLRs. It is a tool, like the EX-1, and both have their advantages and disadvantages and their time and place (according to each particular operator) but they both have the capability of shooting professional looking video (often when in the hands of a professional or a capable operator).

I just think there is too much proof to indicate that we now have these DSLR tools out there to work for us in creating fabulous moving pictures.

Gabe Strong
September 28th, 2009, 10:07 PM
hey Nathan,

I may be wrong, but the story I read about them said they used it 'in conjunction' with
other 'video' cameras. They used it for some specific 'beauty' shots, but not as the
primary camera.......I think it was a story in Event DV, I'll have to try to find it and
make sure I am not remembering it wrong....

Jonathan Shaw
September 28th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Still motion shoot the majority if not 95% on 5D's, they are sponsored by Canon so officially they can use A1's / G1's but I know that they used to use EX1's a little but now they are pretty much fully 5 and 7D's

Tom Hardwick
September 29th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I reckon Doug nailed it when he said:

The worst thing about shooting with the D300s yesterday is that I blew a chance to shoot it right with the EX3 or EX1 instead. A lost opportunity.[/url]

Vincent Oliver
September 29th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Like them or hate them, the DSLRs are here to stay. I remember when digital cameras first came on the scene, there was an outcry from film users, they said digital would never replace film. The rest is history.

Give the DSLR another year or so and I also think we will be looking at our EX1 & EX3 and wondering why we need all the excess baggage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EX3, but after trekking up Snowdon (mountain in the UK) I now feel I could be a serious competitor in the Weight lifting category for the 2012 Olympics.

Chris Barcellos
September 29th, 2009, 01:25 AM
.I don't want to step on too many toes so please realize, I think the 5D has a purpose. Professional Film/Video is not one of them. Photography and capturing some stunning clips here and there, YES! I just can't stand it when people think that these SLR camera's are the be all and end all. ...

Better take care Nathan. Pros like Phil Bloom here, and people at Saturday Night Live seems to disagree with you:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-7d-hd/451865-saturday-night-live-shoot-7d.html

Jonathan Shaw
September 29th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Like them or hate them, the DSLRs are here to stay. I remember when digital cameras first came on the scene, there was an outcry from film users, they said digital would never replace film. The rest is history.

Give the DSLR another year or so and I also think we will be looking at our EX1 & EX3 and wondering why we need all the excess baggage.

Don't get me wrong, I love my EX3, but after trekking up Snowdon (mountain in the UK) I now feel I could be a serious competitor in the Weight lifting category for the 2012 Olympics.

Yeah but give it a year and they will do everything that they need to and we will all be very happy.
I hear you on the excess front.... I'm over carrying 40 kgs of camera gear around, but something in my head says the rig may get a bit lighter but it still won't be any easier!

Darren Ruddock
September 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Dunno what all the fuss is about!

There will always be video cameras and stills cameras. Yeah stills may take some nice video but I doubt you will see big budget productions shot by some blokes standing around with stills cameras on set!

Look ridiculous! Yet alone turning up for a paid gig. I'd feel a bit silly, it's a perception thing!

Tom Roper
September 30th, 2009, 07:58 PM

For the Letus, yes.

If you carry enough lenses to cover the zoom range of the non-Letus EX, the weight becomes a deficit for the DSLR. Steady video is also a problem with it, as is the need for external monitor if tripod mounted.

But I agree about giving it a year or two anyway. The video of my 5DMkII is flawed with aliasing artifacts. I love it for the stills, but the EX1 makes more controllable video, easier to get the good result, and it's more detailed resolution wise, both to my eyes, and the imatest software I've used to test both.

The 5DMkII makes stunning video. But I can closely achieve the same result with the EX, shallow depth of field is possible through technique, and low light is good also. Those are the only two advantages conceded to the 5D2 anyway. Everything else, from recording times, audio, stabilization, customization, frame rates, slo-mo, ergonomics, all go to the EX. I'd climb out on a limb as say 24p frame grabs from the EX are as DSLR-like as video from the 5D2 is to HD video, discounted for pixel size.

I'll be in line for the next great full frame DSLR and sing the praises when it's deserved. Right now, I don't feel it is. I am totally in love with it for the still photography it's primarily intended for, as well as the compliment of Canon L glass I own, are outstanding. But for video, no way. I'll give Sony it's due, heck even Canon XH-A1/ XL-H1 was excellent.

But a neat thing I can do with the 5DMkII is walk into a museum with it, and using fast primes shoot low light HD video that otherwise is often forbidden from pro video cams either by available light, or policy.

Tom Hardwick
October 1st, 2009, 01:12 AM
But a neat thing I can do with the 5DMkII is walk into a museum with it, and using fast primes shoot low light HD video that otherwise is often forbidden from pro video cams either by available light, or policy.

Good post Tom, and good point (above). It reminds me of the wedding shoot I did for a couple this year, where the couple poutingly informed me that the priest had said 'no video', so would I wait outside until they emerged please?

Fine, I said. But was the vicar and his clergy going to frisk all the parishioners, guests and choir looking for VDSLRs, mobile phones and compact cameras set to movie mode? The obvious answer was no, so the only footage of the service was going to be wobbly, grainy, poorly composed stuff with hissy, indistinct sound. Really great for the vows, I bet.

tom.

Vincent Oliver
October 1st, 2009, 01:29 AM
Dunno what all the fuss is about!

There will always be video cameras and stills cameras. Yeah stills may take some nice video but I doubt you will see big budget productions shot by some blokes standing around with stills cameras on set!

Look ridiculous! Yet alone turning up for a paid gig. I'd feel a bit silly, it's a perception thing!

Don't be so sure on this, I know of a production company that is using the 5D for in car shots and other difficult to access loctaion work. However, these are only used for short fill in shots, the bulk of the production is shot on high end video gear.

Nathan Hudson
October 1st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Sorry, but stillmotion excuse doesn't cut it as far as being professional. PERIOD.
Neither does H264 acquisition or in the case of other cameras does AVCHD cut it. The AVCHD codec was developed for consumer use and should stay there!
Neither do all the other shortcomings of that camera as a PROFESSIONAL video camera.

As far as the Phil Bloom comment, I believe in his own blog he even admits to the shortcomings, while praising the direction things are going along with the look of the picture. I never said the picture didn't look good. I simply said that thinking along the lines of a DSLR being the BE ALL and END ALL is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY as of right now!

I also noted that there are uses for the camera's video function so instead of harping on just the negative side of what I said, please try and realize that I am trying to be fair about it and openly admit that it could come in handy for limited uses.

I think in years to come they may develop further and it may get better but I think we will never see the DSLR fully replace a dedicated professional video camera. I love how all the makeshift ways of getting around the downfalls end up being responses. My thoughts on that are, get a camera that performs for it's function instead.

I do want to say, please don't read into my responses as insults or anything like that, I'm not saying that the DSLR camera's suck, I just hold a different view. I respect everyone on here and applaud you all for being in one of the best industries ever! If you're working, making money, loving what you do, and producing results to inspire others, then you my friend are living a good life.

-Nate

Piotr Wozniacki
October 1st, 2009, 01:59 AM
My personal opinion on this controversy is that we will soon see the best of both words: a big CMOS (perhaps even full 35mm), but in a proper video camera form. Interchangeable lens will top it up.

Vincent Oliver
October 1st, 2009, 02:01 AM
Just had look at the Stillmotion web site, and yes, WOW, superb - must sell all my EX3 gear right now.

STOP - STOP Vincent.

Sorry but this stylish production doesn't cut any ice with me. I have shot weddings in the suburbs of London and to pull off something this stylish would take far more than a single DSLR camera. Yes, the footage looks great, but if you look with open eyes, I wonder if this is a staged event for a promo reel or maybe for Canon.

Benjamin Eckstein
October 1st, 2009, 04:54 AM
Just had look at the Stillmotion web site, and yes, WOW, superb - must sell all my EX3 gear right now.

STOP - STOP Vincent.

Sorry but this stylish production doesn't cut any ice with me. I have shot weddings in the suburbs of London and to pull off something this stylish would take far more than a single DSLR camera. Yes, the footage looks great, but if you look with open eyes, I wonder if this is a staged event for a promo reel or maybe for Canon.

Not calling Stillmotion a professional firm is NUTS.

These ARE real weddings. They get clients looking for this kind of work. It is more "staged" than just being a fly-on-the-wall cameraman but that is what their client wants. The wedding is real, the guests are real. They get paid, well and often, to do this for their clients.

Go watch some of the recent Filmfellas series from Zacuto with the 2 casts of wedding filmmakers to hear them talk about their jobs, their clients, using this gear, etc.

Stillmotion also has at least a couple behind-the-scenes videos on their Vimeo page.

Vincent Oliver
October 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM
Not calling Stillmotion a professional firm is NUTS.

I don't remember saying this or implying it either.

Benjamin Eckstein
October 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
Sorry Vincent, I accidentally quoted you. Didn't mean to do that. I was not referring to you.

Gabe Strong
October 2nd, 2009, 01:03 AM
I do want to say, please don't read into my responses as insults or anything like that, I'm not saying that the DSLR camera's suck, I just hold a different view. I respect everyone on here and applaud you all for being in one of the best industries ever! If you're working, making money, loving what you do, and producing results to inspire others, then you my friend are living a good life.

-Nate

Nicely said and I couldn't agree more.

Keith Moreau
October 2nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Getting back to the subject, I am seriously considering selling my Letus Extreme and Nikon lenses and getting a Canon 7D.

For most situations, where there is enough room to back the EX1 from the subject, I find that the EX1 fully open or close to it provides pretty acceptable low DOF. Where I think using a DSLR like a 5D or 7D would come in handy would be static situations, like interviews, where you just don't have enough room to back up and there isn't a huge amount of camera movement necessary.

I've used the Letus in interviews, but found that the amount of artificial light required with the light loss and having to open up the SLR lens to get acceptable exposure creates almost too shallow a depth of field. I try not to blast the subjects so I try to get away with as little light as necessary. Nice image but right on the edge of being too dark or out of focus. Not only that, using rails, mattebox, heavy Letus, lenses, is visually impressive but a lot of infrastructure. I'm thinking I'll have an easier time with a 7D and a couple nice lenses and some type of XLR adapters/preamp.

I'd appreciate any opinions regarding my reasoning.

Max Allen
October 2nd, 2009, 09:59 PM
To my eyes the DOF adapters appear contrived, artificial, very unnatural next to 5D footage DOF. What a Zeiss prime will produce on a 5D is going to surpass a Letus rig on an EX, my opinion but also physics.

The image quality of the 5D is undeniable. Like many video professionals I resisted this camera as long as I could. There are jobs where 5D would be an atrocious choice and ones where it would make the content shine. Seeing Phil Bloom's name was brought up, bear in mind however to date most of his paid work is still using video cameras he's said. Online are largely his DSLR tests and a few jobs he's used them on.

From what I've seen in terms of this straight image quality there is little doubt, without personal testing, that the 5D beats out the EX. Let's take note, although a measly 1080p and 21MP (not the greatest specs for a large sensor camera), this is a Vistavision size sensor exceeding 35mm, RED Mysterium, Genesis, F35 and Viper. However, one that comes with aliasing on fine details to the degree that BBC deemed it unacceptable for broadcast, no TC, 44kHz audio, low bit rate, double system preferrable, not handheld-able by itself (stabilization), no smooth iris without fiddly vari-NDs, 30p/twixtor/needs downconversion for post....

The 5D is without a doubt top of the line DSLR image quality. A 7D is not a 5D in this respect, it's a 200% smaller sensor, will crop your wide angles, is less light sensitive and as far as video it is just about conveniences. It was so cheap to put out by Canon, under 2k is high end consumer video cam land, while still having a few bells and whistles over the 5D as a still camera (higher burst rate, etc.).

If you can preplan and control all the aspects of the job that the problems of the 5D require you to then sure it can work but show up to a new run and gun job for a new client with a 5D and expect to tackle it the same as if you showed up with a pro video camera and things may not go as smoothly.

With Stillmotion, I agree weddings are among the hardest jobs to shoot but I think it should be mentioned that 99% of their jobs follow a cookie cutter formula. Not to put it down, that's what they need to do and it's a business. However it's not that hard to adapt a set shooting pattern to a camera's shortcomings even those as extreme as the 5D (audio, TC, stabilization...). It looks to me 99% of the time their 5Ds are on a Steadicam, a Slider or a tripod and most of the many many videos they publish online pretty much looks the same in style and editing. This fixed structure isn't a good enough example to say that the 5D can replace a pro video camera in run and gun jobs.

Canon never planned for the 5D to make a splash in video. This was their accommodation to AP press photographers asking for video. They accommodated well! Nevertheless this remains a still camera to Canon and the profit numbers support this view very well. Saying that in a year DSLRs will be up to par functionally with pro video cameras is a fantasy. More realistic that in 1 or 2 years a 5D equivalent with 7D features. Besides, if and when the DSLR gets there, it won't. It will be a video camera made for video. Why make a DSLR primarily for video shooters?

Whether Canon intended it or not the 5D is also competing with RED. But as great as the look, even after most of the missing basic tools have been compensated for with 3rd party solutions you still cannot grade like you can RED footage. No RAW, what you shoot is what you get. If you didn't protect highlights they are gone. And you can't bypass the camera's compression circuit. Even the little EX let's you do this with HDSDI out. These are two needs for productions using large sensor cameras.

Personally I wish Nikon would come out with a 5D equivalent even if it had all the same shortcomings of the 5D before I start using these cameras. Nikon's build and GUI is superior in my book. Canons simply break much sooner than Nikons. But current video quality of Nikons are unwatchable compared to Canon.

Alister Chapman
October 3rd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Whether Canon intended it or not the 5D is also competing with RED. But as great as the look, even after most of the missing basic tools have been compensated for with 3rd party solutions you still cannot grade like you can RED footage. No RAW, what you shoot is what you get. If you didn't protect highlights they are gone.

Even shooting RED Raw, if you blow out the highlights they are gone. No camera or codec can recover blown out highlights as this is caused by the overload of the sensor(s).

The aliasing issues with both the 5D and 7D should not be dismissed too lightly. Pans across high contrast scenes or motion within scenes leads to all kinds of twitter on edges. On compressed web clips this often doesn't show up, but on big 1920x1080 monitors it's really ugly. You can deal with it by softening the image a little and perhaps someone will bring out an optical low pass filter with the correct cut-off, but before you rush out and buy a DSLR for video, make sure you understand the trade off of using too high a resolution imager. It's not unlike the issues encountered when down-converting EX 1080 footage to SD.

Don Miller
October 3rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
Video DSLR is just a short phase into a proper larger sensor video camera. But the fact remains that 35mm adapters do not look good compared to 5DII ot 7D. A simple search through Vimeo provides ample evidence. The 35mm adapter business is dead and buried.

While in Vimeo, compare better 5DII footage to better regular EX3 footage. The interest in these video dslrs is more than just about dof.

John Mitchell
October 5th, 2009, 02:50 AM
There's obviously a fair bit of passion here - I think others have nailed it when they say that for serious DOF work 35mm/APC still cameras have a role until larger sensors start to appear in prosumer camcorder models.

However - if I'm going on holidays and dragging along my DSLR - isn't it great that it can now take quality video :) And vica versa - if I take along a handycam isn't it great that it can now take reasonable quality stills. Viva la revolution!

Paul Curtis
October 5th, 2009, 06:14 AM
A couple of points i don't think anyone has touched on.

the aliasing out of both the 7D and 5D rule them out for me straight away. The method canon have to use to scale down the full resolution of the sensor is terrible. It's the number one reason stopping me. You don't see too much of it online because most of the time you're watching scaled web videos. And the codec is awful too (this has been touched on). I still favour my little LX3 because it's motion JPEG and produces a more pleasing (to my eye) result.

I believe canon will sort this with the new processors in their up and coming version of the 1D.

However what is really interesting is that we must be on a cusp here. So many interesting sensors now all in dSLRs all being let down by codec/processing/form factor

All these manufacturers must be close to sticking them in different bodies, there are persistent rumours that canon are.

If canon could produce a camera that used the APS-C size and accepted my eos lenses i'd have my money down straight away. All the components are there just waiting.

(Also APS-C is better than full frame - DOF is too shallow sometimes on 35. f1.4 APS-C is a lovely balance)

I gave serious though to a lens adaptor, but i can't help feeling it's a very temporary stop gap.

cheers
paul

Darren Ruddock
October 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Well folks,

give it a year and Vimeo, Youtube and all the others will be full of people sticking video up with ridiculous use of shallow DOP. The look will become overused and we will all be sick of it ....Ha Ha!

Chris Clifton
October 5th, 2009, 12:27 PM
There's obviously a fair bit of passion here - I think others have nailed it when they say that for serious DOF work 35mm/APC still cameras have a role until larger sensors start to appear in prosumer camcorder models.

However - if I'm going on holidays and dragging along my DSLR - isn't it great that it can now take quality video :) And vica versa - if I take along a handycam isn't it great that it can now take reasonable quality stills. Viva la revolution!

I can't agree with you more! I have EX1's and an EX3, no 35mm adapter (yet), and so last month I bought a DSLR to see what it was all about. Sold the DSLR on eBay last weekend. I think it's not ready for primetime, so many limitations. But what a great toy. I'll wait for the 3rd generation that has the rolling shutter and mud fixed, and an audio meter/monitor. Beautiful images though, if all the conditions are exactly right.

Tom Daigon
October 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
I have both the EX3 and the 5DM2. They are both excellent tools in certain situations.
The EX3 has what professionals expect and need shooting in studio/cleint oreinted situations with clients (video ins and outs, audio ins and outs, TC ins and outs, etc).
The 5DM2 shoots beautiful "cinematic type" images that work great for MOS and b roll needs.
I have seen them used for their strengths and cut together to create wonderful presentations here on the web. They compliment each nicely with their strengths!