View Full Version : Who does their own foley work

Dwight Flynn
May 7th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Just curious, who among you do your own foley work. If so, what tools are you using, especially for outside recording?

Dwight Flynn
May 8th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Actually there is a practical reason for me asking this question. There are some sounds I want to use but cannot find (at lease not without buying a really expensive effects library). I figured it isn't the worst thing I could do to strap on my portable recorder and try to create or capture the sound myself. Since this is a bit different than simply manipulating loops, I thought I would ask about tools and process. For a recorder I figured I would use the marantz 671 (instead of a dat but correct me if I am off base), for mic AT897 (I am not certain if an omni is useful for this type of work, and if so, which would be best for under $400), for headphones the sony, etc.

Mark A. Foley
May 9th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I do my my own Foley work :-)

Jack Smith
May 9th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Mark ,I hear all your work is Foley work. LOL

Dwight Flynn
May 9th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Funny, not helpful, but funny:-).

Joshua Starnes
May 9th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Mark ,I hear all your work is Foley work. LOL

I've done it. For my last short I did all my own foley work in my living room with a Marantz 660 and a Sennheiser ME66. Did all my own ADR that way as well (though there was nothing automatic about it - have to cut all of it in by hand). End results were fine. The only thing you have to worry about his background noise - unless you have a soundproofed room available to you, you're going to have to pick a quiet time of day and stop for background noises to clear continously, or you will be doing a lot of audio cleaning later. Also, make sure your air conditioner is turned off.

Jack Smith
May 9th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Dwight...sorry, was just in one of those moods.
Hey, what sounds are you looking for? Maybe someone has recorded them and would share.
I think the process of recording is more important than the gear however lately I've used an iRiver with varing mics( dependant on the sound)
Does a resonably good job.

Aaron Koolen
May 9th, 2005, 11:42 PM
Me too. If you've seen my ladyX episode (EP 26 at ladyxfilms.com) - EVERY sound effect you hear was foleyed. Took me 2 weeks of after hours and weekend work inbetween the editing. Some was foleyed indoor, some captured outside. I used a ME66 (Not the best choice I think) and recorded straight into my camera.

Aaron

Dwight Flynn
May 11th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Right now I am trying to get the right kind of ambient background as a consistent mood setter for an indie film I am working on. I think I am good equipment wise (at897 which is adequate but not great). In some ways I am telling my stories (sorry several projects at once) with sound as much as anything else. I just got curious b/c I noticed that our little group almost never discusses foley work (I know there are some threads but not as many as I would think there would be given the number of film and trying to be film makers on this site).

Aaron Koolen
May 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
I think foley is very important. Or to be more specific, I think extra ambient noises in a production are distracting. This tends to lean toward capturing your dialog clean and adding everything else in later. I prefer the results this way.

Aaron

Keith Loh
May 11th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Dylan Couper, Michael Moore and I made a horror short as part of a 48 hour contest this weekend. Mike was invaluable for getting SFX for us on a noisy set. Sort of ad hoc foley which I later used.

Right-click and download please:
http://www.dylancouper.com/demoreel/bloodywaitress_web2.mov ('http://www.dylancouper.com/demoreel/bloodywaitress_web2.mov')

You can easily hear Mike's awesome SFX in the bathroom scene.

Dwight Flynn
May 13th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Nice!!!! I will add constructive thoughts in a day or so when I get a chance to listen undisturbed. (comments on the sound that is)

Keith Loh
May 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Har. Keep in mind that is what could be accomplished during the 48 hours we were alloted.