View Full Version : DVD Covers

Dennis Cummins
May 16th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone know of any free/cheap software out there that lets you grab stills from FCP 3 (at a decent quality) change them into jpegs to use for DVD covers etc?? Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

David Morton
May 16th, 2005, 07:20 AM
I use Adobe Photoshop 7, works great.

Craig Terott
May 16th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I use Discus. They have versions for Windows & Mac

http://www.magicmouse.com/h_discus_detail.html

For $39 it does everything. Very important though - you should realize that A4 paper is the best size for a DVD case. It's difficult to find but makes all the difference. If you use a std letter size, you'll discover it's a bit too short. The only way around the problem I know of (if you don't want to buy A4) is to make your background white and carefully position objects & text so that they don't get cut off.

Exporting of stills has little to do with any other program than FCP. You export stills with FCP, not with another program. If you exprot a .jpg, a .jpg is a .jpg and no matter the source you should be able to import it. If I export a still frame from FCP, I usually do an Auto color correct in photoshop before using it. "Decent quality" is a little subjective. If your export settings within FCP are as high as they can go, other than a little color correct or contrast adj there is little you can do. The output you get is mostly a product of the original resolution of the video and there's little you can do about that. For a still taken from standard definition video I usually do not size larger than 3" X 3" on the jacket but that is up to you to judge.

Michael McGruder
May 16th, 2005, 11:13 AM
On another group -- I saw undercoverxp -- which is free but I can't tell you how good it is up against discus or any other dvd/cd cover program out there.

http://jump.to/undercoverxp

Good luck!
-Michael

Jeffrey Cunningham
May 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
You can easily do it directly from FCP 3. Place your timeline cursor over the frame you'd like to export as a JPEG and choose File>Export>Quicktime. From the format menu, select still image and then choose JPEG from the options. Don't worry about fps, since it will be a still image. The resolution will be the same as the video, but you can't upgrade the resolution anyway.

Peter Jefferson
May 25th, 2005, 02:59 AM
i use powerpoint however if u head to cdcovers.cc u can download a free application which has templates for standrd and thin jewel cases..