View Full Version : XL2 16:9 output to DVD?

Josh Brusin
May 22nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
is there any way (or any player) to get a dvd burner to recognize the 16:9 frame out from my XL2?

I usually have a dvd burner hooked up to record takes (makes it easy to log) and just start and stop it along with the camera... with the new "native" 16:9 is there a way to get the cropped image instead of the stretched? I am outputting via firewire... ? or composite or s or whatever...

Josh Brusin
May 22nd, 2005, 11:05 AM
Nice that I can find the answer thread to my own question!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=29956&highlight=16%3A9+output+dvd

I'm assuming that the DVD burner's aspect set up will solve this like I hoped it would...

Greg Boston
May 23rd, 2005, 11:45 PM
I know that was an old thread that you referenced so standalone burners may have changed by now. But, for the most part you are correct about having to burn the disk first to see letterboxed 16:9 because there is an anamorphic flag bit that is set when the dvd is burned which tells the player what to do on playback. The other part of this issue is that many people don't realize that they must tell the player what type of display they are using via the video set up menu. Some players default to 16:9 and that will result in seeing a squeezed image on a 4:3 set.

=gb=

Josh Brusin
June 12th, 2005, 12:27 AM
so I take it all back... I'm connected via firewire from the xl2 camera (don't ask...) and have tried testing this out on my samsung dvdr-120... it transfers fine... the tv is set to 4:3 letterbox and for some reason the footage doesn't box but remains stretched. I don't think there's any setup or disk options... any suggestions? I've finalized several DVDs at both letterbox and 16:9 settings and nothing. all stretched all the time...

HALP!

Greg Boston
June 12th, 2005, 11:23 PM
Josh,

You stated that you set the tv for 4:3 letterbox, but what I was referring to was the set up menu on the DVD player. It should have a display type menu item somewhere that let's you specify what type of tv display is connected to the player. This will tell the player how it should output standard video vs. widescreen when it sees the anamorphic flag bit set on the dvd. Perhaps with your live burn, you aren't able to set this bit and therefore the player assumes everything is 4:3 when it is actually 16:9.

Try burning a dvd using authoring software that will let you set the anamorphic bit and see what the player does then.

regards,

-gb-

Josh Brusin
June 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
I get a 16:9 letterbox out of other DVDs... what I want to do is tell the burner that the signal in is supposed to be anamorphic 16:9 so the tv display setting woudl work...