View Full Version : Does the Vixia have a simultaneous line out of the camera?

Ronald Lee
September 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I have a HF200 and am going to be giving a presentation with it where I show some composition tips.

I thought I'd ask if the camera will do a simultaneous line out, either during recording or just when the camera is on.

Perhaps to:
a) a regular computer monitor.
b) a HD computer monitor
c) a laptop/desktop computer
d) a SD TV set/VCR
e) a HD TV

Connectors can include a HDMI cable USB, A/V out cable, component out.

We all know we can record first and then play back to any of these, but I'd like to see it on a 'big' screen as we're messing with the camera. Has anyone done this? Is there a special setting or is it just plug and play?

Thanks.

Kevin Bjorke
September 29th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Look in the Setup Menu(s) for something labeled "Output Onscreen Displays"

(caveat: based on HFS11)

Ronald Lee
September 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hi, yes, I have that on my camera as well.

"onscreen displays" can be set to 'on' and in the manual it DOES say the camera's display can be seen on a TV or monitor.

But that's all it says. I assume that takes care of d), through a A/V cable. But what about HD through HDMI or a laptop?

I know when I hook up the camera to the laptop, it reads it as another hard drive. Is there a program that will allow me to view the footage at the same time, as if the laptop was another monitor?

Or what about a monitor with a serial input or a HD monitor with an HDMI or USB input? I'd test the HDMI but I don't have a cable (got the monitor though).

Robin Davies-Rollinson
September 30th, 2009, 03:31 PM
You can view directly from the camera via HDMI or Component onto an HD TV or even an HD projector. No problems there at all.
It will work either when the camera is recording or just on standby, although you might need to power the camera from mains via the charger to stop it powering down - although you might have an option to switch off any power-saving function.

Ronald Lee
September 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
You can view directly from the camera via HDMI or Component onto an HD TV or even an HD projector. No problems there at all.
It will work either when the camera is recording or just on standby, although you might need to power the camera from mains via the charger to stop it powering down - although you might have an option to switch off any power-saving function.

Hi Robin, thanks for your reply. I did call Canon and they said that I couldn't do that. However there appears to be only one solution to see if it does do it. I gotta find a cable and try it myself.

Unless you have a Canon and a HD computer monitor and have already done the live view?

Robin Davies-Rollinson
October 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM
Ronald,
I use a 20" LCD HD TV attached via HDMI for monitoring straight from the camera whilst shooting.
I don't suppose it would be the same as a PC monitor... though you say that you have access to TVs or a projector.

Kevin Bjorke
October 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
I use a 20" LCD HD TV attached via HDMI for monitoring straight from the camera whilst shooting.Sounds portable!

Here's an S100 dolled-up: "Finally got my rig how I want it!" (http://hv20.com/showthread.php?t=28634)

Ronald, might I just suggest that you TRY it???

Robin Davies-Rollinson
October 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I guess I should have added: in controlled indoor situations - not up a mountain... :-)

Kevin Bjorke
October 1st, 2009, 12:39 PM
oh, and Henry Olonga (http://www.vimeo.com/henryolonga) has also been recording the live HDMI output directly for terrific results