View Full Version : Madness in Miami--DV Info to Blame? : )

Lorinda Norton
June 1st, 2005, 12:50 AM
Last week I spent four incredible days in Miami in the company of two of DV Info's famous--wait, let's make that notorious--members, Rick Bravo and Hugh DiMauro.

From what I understood they'd already inflicted their brand of humor on folks at a gala awards event for local police AND had been carousing in the Florida Keys for several days, so I expected them to be worn out by the time I met them. Not so.

Here it was, the first time I'd laid eyes on either one of them, yet they welcomed me right in with an initiation to a world of great food, their side-splitting humor, and liquid refreshments that’ll just knock your hat off. (That one concoction really should be restricted, fellas. And thanks for introducing it to me on our last day, then propping me up on a bench outside Miami International and driving off!)

Naturally, we talked (a little) about camera techniques, plus Rick kindly showed us through the video services unit he supervises at Miami Dade Police Dept. The level of production he maintains, the equipment he uses, the facilities—it’s absolutely amazing! His work is amazing.

As if that wasn’t enough, he took us out to a shooting range where the actors in Miami Vice “The Movie” were training on gun handling and shooting. Now I can hardly wait for the movie to come out to see how well they do!

Then there’s Hugh. My, my…there’s not room here to even get started talking about this entertaining and charming bundle of energy. He does a great cannonball down a water slide—we’ll just leave it at that for now! : )

If it weren’t for this community, I wouldn’t even know these two wonderful guys. I learned a lot and had the time of my life, so to Hugh, Rick, and the people who make DV Info possible I just want to say, “THANK YOU!”

BTW, Happy Birthday, Rick!

K. Forman
June 1st, 2005, 04:16 AM
Gee... I wish I had known about this suare. I'm only 6 hours north of there.

Rob Lohman
June 1st, 2005, 04:22 AM
Sounds like you had a blast there Lorinda! The real question, of course, is
what you where doing in Miami in the first place? Vacation? :)

Lorinda Norton
June 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Next time, Keith? I sure hope there's a next time, anyway. I would have a little trouble believing it's a six hour drive from where you live if I hadn't experienced that traffic. It's like rush hour 24 hours a day. : )

Rob, I was there for the sole purpose of meeting these guys and having a great vacation. I weighed between buying a new computer that would handle Vegas better or going to Miami. I made the right choice, no doubt about it. When I'm waiting on lags while editing or on a long render I'll just think back on all the fun!

K. Forman
June 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Believe it or not Lorinda, the drive down doesn't get bad for about four hours. That is just about north of Fort Lauderdale, and it gets worse the closer you get to Miami. At that point, it gets hairy. Even coming back at 2 or 3 AM, the lower stretch of I-95 is busy. Once I get north of Lauderdale, I can make the drive home with my eyes closed... and have on several occasions ;)

Chris Hurd
June 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Linda, you endured Bravo and The Hugh together?

Holy Cow, congratulations! Try that in a trade show environment sometime, heh.

Lorinda Norton
June 1st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Ha! Thank you, Chris. Yeah, I'm sure they act up even more in a charged-up environment.

And thanks for moving this where it belongs. I couldn't decide.

Hugh DiMauro
June 1st, 2005, 10:13 AM
Dear fellow DV Infoers:

I've had the distinct pleasure of meeting yet another esteemed DV Info member, Lorinda Norton. How shall I begin? Well, I must once again thank Chris Hurd for hosting a magnificent website which has given me so much more than I have given it. I always try to contribute when I can and will continue to do so for as long as I am breathing. In any case, since my membership, I have met wonderful, helpful colleagues on here and made two extremely close friends in the process: Rick Bravo of Miami, Florida and Lorinda Norton of Nampa, Idaho. Rick has turned out to be like a brother to me and Lorinda is the sister I never had but who I always wanted to tease. She's a great sport and has even bailed me out of some tight Vegas Video spots. She is also a very talented singer, songwriter and videographer. Believe me. I've seen and heard her work. I am humbled. I have learned from the both of them and will continue to hone my craft through them.

DV Info has helped enrich my life through technical assistance in videography, helping me to improve my technique and knowledge base and by introducing me to two lifelong friends.

Lorinda Norton
June 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
The many facets of Hugh: Comedian, energizer, encourager. He's intelligent as all get out and one of the most thoughtful people I know. Besides all that, he's an amazing (and I mean AMAZING) writer, and his video work puts mine to complete and utter shame. Because he has a serious, highly creative side he's able to capture images I can only appreciate--not emulate.

But then there's that not-very-serious side... : )

Hugh DiMauro
June 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Looks like its time to put Lorinda over my knee.

Bad girl!

Owen Dawe
June 1st, 2005, 11:50 PM
Hey Guys. It's a small world after all. I met Lorinda on this board as well. The emails fly back and forth between Idaho and New Zealand like wild fire for almost a year now. We share videos and ideas on almost any subject. This is a great board for meeting and making friends. Yep, she's right mate!!!

Lorinda Norton
June 2nd, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hi Owen!!!!

Yep, Hugh's always having to hear about my "Kiwi friend" and the beautiful work you produce. Nice to have all the mates in one place! (Well, sort of; we've gotta figure out a way to get you across all that water so you can REALLY join the party.) :)

Except we're missing a Very Important Person here. Rick, where are ya?

Bob Safay
June 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM
Hey Lorinda, how is Idaho? I spent three years there at U of I in Moscow, ID. Loved it. A little on the cold side but a beautiful place. Bob

Hugh DiMauro
June 2nd, 2005, 06:57 AM
One of our assistant prosecutors is from New Zealand and she just quit and returned home. We loved her accent.

Lorinda Norton
June 2nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Hi Bob,

Funny you should ask. Owen here was just giving me static (private e-mail) for complaining about the cold! Usually, we're warmin' up pretty good by now.

My son is going into his third year at U of I. And you're right; it's much prettier in North Idaho than where I live.

People are still moving here in droves--I can't figure it out when there aren't that many jobs available. (Micron & HP are the biggest employers.) Realtors are smiling from ear to ear these days.

Rick Bravo
June 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Sorry, between dealing with birthday "stuff" yesterday and a couple of martinis at the Bonefish, I didn't have time to post some of the pictures from our little excursion and I didn't want to show up to this party empty handed.

Well guys, what can I say that hasn't been already said?

First, let me reiterate something that Hugh and Lorinda brought up...a heart-felt thank you to Chris Hurd!

The level of quality and professionalism that is exhibited on DV INFO has manifested itself in human form by the likes of Hugh DiMauro and Lorinda Norton. I find it amazing that three people from completely different walks of life can get together and practically, in the blink of an eye, forge lasting friendships that transcend time and distance.

It has been a very long while since I have enjoyed myself so much for so long. If I could rent out Lorinda, Hugh and Glenn as vacation buddies, I'd be a millionaire!

Keith, something tells me that these escapades may become a yearly event so, if you're up to it, start making plans for next year!

Yeah Chris, Lorinda (after recovering from the initial shock of meeting us) was quite a trooper. You'd be hard pressed to meet a nicer person than this lady and after enduring us, without calling the authorities, I'm postulating her for Sainthood!

Hugh, do me a favor...stop offering to put people across your knee. Isn't it enough that you almost got arrested by that undercover Vice cop on South Beach for trying the same thing with him?! :)

Anyway, here are some pictures of the week's shennanigans http://home.mindspring.com/~ricks-pics/ .

RB

Joe Carney
June 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM
Lorinda...
I still have lots of family in Southern Idaho, mostly Nampa, Boise and Meridian. Fond memories of McCall and points north for fishing and camping.
Last time I was there a huge forest fire had done a lot of damage around Idaho City and what I think is the South Payette river.
There is a place in Meridian that sold the best beef jerkey and cheese curds on the planet. I wonder if it's still there.

Lorinda Norton
June 2nd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Hey there, Rick,
Glad you could get away from one bash to another! It just ain't a party if you're not there.

Hugh, do me a favor...stop offering to put people across your knee. Isn't it enough that you almost got arrested by that undercover Vice cop on South Beach for trying the same thing with him?! :)
RB

Is THAT what he was doing??? I thought maybe the guy was choking or something. :)

Thank you so much for showing us such a good time, Rick. You're a doll. And those pictures....priceless--just like you guys. I'm saving up for next year!

Lorinda

p.s. I'm sorry to tease you like that, Hugh. You know I love ya!

Lorinda Norton
June 2nd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Joe,

Wow, your family lives all around me! How'd you manage to get away? :)

I joke a lot about this area but it's all right. The Cheese Factory in Meridian closed down, but you can still buy their stuff nearby. The best jerky comes from a place in a little town called Greenleaf. Next time you're going to be here, let me know! (I haven't forgotten about the Idaho Int'l Film Festival; I think it's in October. Will try to send you a link.)

Rick Bravo
June 2nd, 2005, 05:52 PM
I LOVE JERKY!!!

Damn...jerky + mojitos = PARADISE!

RB

Lorinda Norton
June 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Too funny!!! What do you think is coming in tomorrow's mail?

Thanks, Joe. I was going to try and surprise him. :)

Happy Birthday, Dear Rick. Have one of those Mojitos for me.
(Ya know, I didn't "imbibe" until I met you guys.)

Chris Hurd
June 2nd, 2005, 08:57 PM
Hey! Where's my SloppyRita?

Rob Lohman
June 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Those SloppyRita's look fine indeed. As does that first shot on "Ocean
kayaking under the historic Seven Mile Bridge". Damnit! Too bad my vacation
will take me to SoCo instead of Miami. Perhaps I need to start planning for
a second vacation, no? :)

Looks like you all had a blast overthere!

So Lorinda, did you get to do some Police training (or actor coaching, haha)
with Rick? :)

Hugh DiMauro
June 3rd, 2005, 07:23 AM
First off, Bravo, you can thank ME for telling Lorinda you like jerky. I had to use up three important favors to get her to rustle up the leathery stuff (I had it a month ago. I almost broke my jaw chewing on it!) Also, you have another gift coming (should be there by Saturday). I had to figure out some way to improve your ugly mug.

Now, let me check these kyak photos...

Oh and by the way, it was way cool to have Spotted Eagle Rays glide silently beneath the kayak as we paddled along. Those things were the size of a Bentley tire!

The whole trip was a thing of beauty and a joy forever, even in the canal!

Hugh DiMauro
June 3rd, 2005, 07:29 AM
Boy do they bring back memories! Now if we can only get together and make a movie!

Remember? DV INFO? Hello? Last time I checked, this wasn't a singles introduction service!

Lorinda Norton
June 3rd, 2005, 10:02 AM
Yes, Rob; you need to start planning for a second vacation. May '06 in Miami. We even saw the "moon over Miami" --a golden full moon on the ocean-- from the beach! It's an enchanting place, but I'm thinkin' anywhere with these boys would be great. As a matter of fact, I want to bring them to Idaho some day. Wouldn't they liven up the place! (And probably get asked to leave.)

Training....hmm. Hugh trained me on the art of colorful language. I'm still trying to get back to my "June Cleaver" way of talking. Rick trained me to dive into a glass of whatever he's drinking without reservation. I think I'm still trying to get over that, as well. :)

Mr. DiMauro, I'm ready for that movie anytime. Remember? That's YOUR job! You're the guy with the screenplay!!!

Hugh DiMauro
June 3rd, 2005, 10:29 AM
We need to make this picture and bring DV INFO into the world cinema spotlight.

Rick Bravo
June 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
That's me typing with a mouthful. Translation...

"I got my jerrrrky!!!"

YEAH BABY!!! THAT'S WHAT i'M TALKIN' 'BOUT!!!

Thank you Lorinda!!!!!

A VERY HAPPY RB!

Hugh DiMauro
June 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Let's all wish Rick a safe return from his high risk SWAT team entry tonight in Miami. Who says videographers have a safe, easy job?

Bravo is nuts!

Lorinda Norton
June 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
It's my pleasure, Rick. There's more where that came from. (Or as Hugh would correct, "more from whence that came.") Be safe out there.

Joe Carney
June 5th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Thats it Lorinda, I'm coming out there for vacation soon, even if the place is crawling with ex californians trying to ruin the place. My cousin is married to the comptroller for Boise Cascade and can get me access to the best places to visit/camp in their forests. One of my favorite drives is up the canyon of the North Payette river, accross the basin of the McCall resevoir and having lunch at Lardos. She also has a cabin north of the McCall resevoir accross the mountians in the Saw Tooth. Truly inspiring and beautiful.

I used to live in Boise as a small boy. Today the place I used to live has been replaced by a large Post Office bldg. The street isn't even there anymore.
But last time I was there (late 90s) the bar that runs Chicken Sh#t bingo is still there!! It was the place my moms' brothers took her for her first official 'I'm legal and want to get drunk' party. We had lunch and I had a beer to commemorate the event.
If I could get a decent day job out there, I'd move in a heart beat. But the area is desirable and the average pay is low it seems. And public access to land is getting less and less available. Eagle Mountain still seems remote enough though.

Lorinda Norton
June 5th, 2005, 07:31 PM
LOL, Joe. "That's it." Looks like Rick is making people hungry! I'll have to tell the guys at the meat place to make LOTS of jerky, 'cause a bunch of hungry DV Info-ers are coming to town.

About this bingo thing....Never heard of it, but it sounds like something some really old rednecks invented. :)

There are still ways to get away from it all. Ya just have to look at little harder nowadays. Maybe I'll see you here one of these days!

Hugh DiMauro
June 7th, 2005, 11:44 AM
My hero, Steve McQueen, wanted to move out to Idaho. I need to get out there some day myself. It looks great on video.

Lorinda Norton
June 7th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I could've used somebody like Steve McQueen to guard my room in Bal Harbour--or guard me from my own naivete. Where I live (rural) we don't lock our cars or homes because thefts are rare. Well...

Like an idiot, I left the key to the mini-bar on a table for two days. Just got my bill today and after talking with the hotel it appears that folks in housekeeping had some refreshments at my expense. They must not have cleaned it out, but it's 36.00 more than I planned to leave as a tip. Can you tell I don't travel much?

You warned me, Hugh! Just a couple days too late, as it turns out. :)

Owen Dawe
June 7th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Well!!! This board is a wealth of information. There's more to it than video.

I've learnt what 'jerky' is. We don't have it here. Lorinda was going to send me some but our Government wont allow it in the country. Must be great stuff.

Looks like I better come to Idaho as well, along with Steve McQueen and about 17,000 DVInfo video nuts.

A tip for Lorinda. Better find ya keys and lock up ya video gear up with us around. Ya manual lens might get flogged, (nicked). What word do you guys use for pinched?

Lorinda Norton
June 7th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Owen, Mate! You and I need to talk. :)

How do I put this, other than tell you that the late Steve McQueen won't be joining the party. See? Even more information than you thought!

As for visiting, I'm gonna hold ya to it.

And the word out here isn't as imaginative as any of yours. We just call it "STOLEN." :)

Owen Dawe
June 8th, 2005, 02:58 AM
OK Lorinda: OK!!! You won that round.

But I have it on good authority that Elvis is still alive!!

Joe Carney
June 8th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Owen, didn't you watch Bubba Ho Tep? Of course Elvis is alive.

nicked?, we just stay stolen, or ripped off.

You can buy kits that make Jerky on line. I've heard NZ is beautiful, but expensive to get to and more sheep than people.

Hugh DiMauro
June 9th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Now, what was the first darned thing I told you, Lorinda? Watch that key! Of course the "help" helped themselves to the bar! Do not pay that bill! You can call the manager and protest the charge and explain that you accidetally left the key on the table. First of all, $6.00 for a bottle of water is a disgrace. It is a crime. Do not pay it. Call the management and refute the charge. Heck, the place will be demolished by June to make way for the new hotel they will be building on that same spot.

Lorinda Norton
June 12th, 2005, 09:52 AM
I just knew that anyone reading this would be dying to know how the mini bar drama turned out. ;)

Following the instructions of the kind lady at the Sheraton I sent an e-mail explaining the situation. They credited my account almost immediately. So there you have it--not one bad memory of Florida! And I'm still smiling about all the others...

Hey, Rob! Did you go to SoCo? (What IS that, BTW?) And are you saving up for Miami next year? Sounds like Keith might be there too!

K. Forman
June 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Might be??? I look for excuses to hide from the wife and kids for a day or two! Why do you think I would go to Georgia for a shoot that only pays $100-200 ? I spent 5 days at a ranch resort, doing a promo for free... it was glorious ;)

Tom Elliott
July 4th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Just joined and read all of the above. Not only did I get the right camera, Canon GL2, I also lucked out and joined a great board. Thanks for sharing your good times with us newbes, especially me who has felt for a long time that I lived on an uncharted island in the middle of an uncharted ocean.
Yours,
Tom Elliott
http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com

Lorinda Norton
July 5th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Just joined and read all of the above.

Congratulations on wading through all this nonsense, Tom--you must be a patient guy (or bored stiff). :)

I'm glad you found a way off "Gilligan's Island." Welcome, and have fun shooting!

Rick Bravo
July 5th, 2005, 08:12 PM
We are all relatively normal here Tom, that is, until the voices start speaking to us...uh-oh, there goes one now!

WAIT A MINUTE, DAMN IT! CAN'T YOU SEE I'M TRYING TO TYPE!!!

Uh, sorry Tom, where was I? Oh yeah, we're pretty normal...uhhhh, never mind!

RB ;)

Tom Elliott
July 5th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Dear Lorinda,
Thanks for the responce.
With the Internet and forums such as these, my market is global. After being part of another ISP (not my own domain name) for two years, a tabloid in Denmark hired me for three assignments that paid for the previous two years on the net, that is when my biggest supporter and CFO (my wife) strongly suggested that I get a domain name.
The pace here is not as fast as NYC in the late 60's/70's and it is picking up.
My easy money is doing video depositions with my wife. The GL2 available light and sound quality is GREAT. The hard money is weddings. My "heart" money is doing short narratives. One I wrote and used my grandkids. The next one is going to be a film/video based on a short story written by my mom.
More than likely the next video will be the challenge posted on this board.
One of the reason I joind a local camera club (never thought I would) is that the assignments are done for the love of it - hence my "heart" assignments.
Again thanks for the response.
If you have a chance here is my web site: http://www.tom-elliott-photography.com
My "heart" pictures on the site are the celebrities, done while a film production manager for the filmed parts of a day time TV show called "Dateline: Hollywood", staring Rona Barrett and Joana Barns.
Yours,
Tom Elliott

Tom Elliott
July 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Voices .... hmmm....
I just make sure my hardware is ready to perform, video or film stills, and let the voices direct.
I used to question, now I listen.
Yours,
Tom ;-)

Lorinda Norton
July 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Now RB, we've had this talk before. No letting the new folks in on our little "secret." :)

Glad to see you're humoring him, Tom. Sometimes he forgets to take his medication. ;)

Tom Elliott
July 6th, 2005, 03:27 AM
Ah ... waaa ??? m e d i c a t i o n s?? Gee one does learn something every day on these boards. Now, the $64 question .. Since I signed up for the competition where do I get ... MY MEDS??? ;-) One is never too old to learn new tricks.
And just why one may ask am I up and answering e-mails at 5 am local?? Good question and no answer, at least non that would satisfy the authorities. I have several stories/scripts going at the same time for personal narative films/videos and my "muse" has no mercy when it comes time to work on the plot lines. I used to question, now I just write and edit later.
Actually I could not have chosen a better "career" than making images that influence people ... in a positve way.
tom