View Full Version : Detecting commercials

Mike Scoboria
June 3rd, 2005, 09:47 PM
Hi everybody.

Just wondering if anyone would know if any technology has been developed that would allow a VCR to pause recording during commercials? Does TiVo have such a function (I haven't really used TiVo)?

Just curious.

Nathan Petersen
June 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
If you want to skip commercials, Tivo can do that for you easily. You can pause live TV anytime with TiVo.

Bob Costa
June 4th, 2005, 08:14 AM
My 10 yr old VCR has a feature called Commercial Advance that works pretty well. At the end of the show it goes back and marks all the commercials. Then when you watch it, it fast forwards thru them. Dish DVR also has a 30-second advance button, so when I am watching a recorded show, I hit "advance" 4 times, or 8 or ten, and then when I see the show I backup 10 or 20 seconds and start watching.

Yi Fong Yu
June 4th, 2005, 01:42 PM
...or you can download tv shows that have commercials already cut out and came from HD sources.

Mike Scoboria
June 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM
I reread my message and I really didn't word it correctly. I meant can I set a VCR or TV to record a program at a specific time, and when it records by it self can it be set to automatically cut out the commercials? So when I go to watch it the commercials are not there at all.

Yi Fong Yu
June 5th, 2005, 09:01 AM
on the VCR, there are no "commercial flags' so no.

like i said, the easiest way is d/l. you get higher quality recordings and it's precut.