View Full Version : HV40 vs HV30 - am I off my rocker

Derrick DeWilde
October 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Ok, so I wanted to purchase the HV30 for a while now, but kept waiting for a better deal. Well, seems I waited to long and they are no longer selling the HV30 unless I get a refurbed one (which I am not totally against).

But my issue is, I was thinking for the longest time that the HV40 only recorded onto SD cards vs minidv and I see now that is not the case.

My question, does the HV40 record onto either cards or tapes or is it just tapes? I would prefer tape at this point, but if it is universal, that is a bonus.

Anyone suggest buying a refurb HV30 vs a new HV40?

Chris Barcellos
October 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Tape only. Card is for photo

Phil Murray
October 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Derrick,

The HV40 is a tape only camera. I've only used tape -- have an HV20 -- but really like it over tapeless systems because the tape backup is always there. I keep the files that have been transfered from my camera to the computer stored on large hard drives, but I've already had a couple of issues with corrupt files and a hard drive failure that made the tape invaluable.

My workflow is generally for personal and limited work use (education) and my recordings are generally short in time, so I transfering data from tape to computer is never an issue.

Last spring, before a trip to South America, I considered upgrading to an HV40, but decided that my HV20 would suffice -- a decision I have not regretted. If I was in your stuation now, I would probably go for a refurbished HV30 because personally I do not need the biggest difference: the native 24p mode. It interested me, but really am quite happy with 60i.

Phil

Derrick DeWilde
October 9th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Phill, the research out there on the HV40 was not real clear when reading it. I actually think I am going to go with the HV40. It will used as a back up camera to the XH A1 and it is honestly probably more camera than I need, but due to sun reflection, the HV20 wont work so I am going to go new and buy the HV40.

Since B&H has 100 holidays a year, they also just lost a sale from me.

Phil Murray
October 9th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I think you'll be very happy with the HV40. I read just about everything I could when it first came out and it looked like a solid camera. If I didn't already have an HV20, it would have been a great purchase, but the new features didn't make it worth the investment. I also have an A1 and I've played around with 24f/24p and just don't care much for the look -- at least for the stuff that I do -- compared to 60i. The quality of the image that you'll get is fantastic (as just about everyone who has used one will tell you). If it had a lanc port and better low-light performance, it would be my only camera.

Im curious about what you meant regarding sun reflection with the HV20.

Phil