View Full Version : HPX 500 problem GRAIN NOISE GRAIN NOISE

Slobodan Milivojevic Bobansky
October 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi,

recently I came to one Middle east production as director, and I have checked some footage that have been done on HPX 500 equiped with CANON Canon HJ11 x 4.7 lens(wer good wide wihout distortion).

Recording format is 1080i, mostly.
Noise and grain is noticable in every shot, even in ones from outside in the sun.
Inside shots in lower light conditions are very bad, unusable for any color correction.
Most shots from outside were filmed with ND2 or ND3, and camera firmware was not upgraded yet.
Also, when we look into LENS SETUP menu, i don't see this lens in list of offered lens models.
On SCENE SETUP meny, everythink is on 0.

Is it maybe somethink with camera, or maybe lens failure???
Do U advice us to shoot on 720, 50p format instead of full HD (anamorphic)?

Daniel Epstein
October 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
See if you can find out what gain setting the camera was on. Should be in the Metadata somewhere. Sounds like it was not 0DB but some higher setting which meant using the ND filter to get proper exposure outside while still looking noisy inside. Otherwise the camera could be having problems but not sure why. Most likely not the lens

October 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Is there some way to set up settings for low gain to -2, -3, because i see that only mid and high settings can be changed....

Daniel Epstein
October 16th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think the 500 can be set to minus gain like other cameras. 0 is the lowest. It shouldn't be noisy at that setting if it is properly set up

Mikael Bergstrom
October 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
You need to turn down the "Master ped" to like -10 to -20 steps from the default value ( if you have one) and turn of the DRS (if you have one). This together with a Marshall LCD SDI monitor will help you all the way, no more guessing

Marshall Electronics - V-LCD70P-3GSDI (http://www.lcdracks.com/monitors/v-lcd70p-3gsdi.html)

helped me alot to get rid of these bad noice part of the HPX301 (300)

I have the HPX301 (300) that's why the (if you have one) part:-)

Just my two Swedish krona:-)

Regards
Mikael
Sweden

October 17th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Hi Mikael!

But tell me one thing - if I lower masted pedestal to -20, i will get very wahed out blacks in picture, am I right?OK, it can be boosted later in post, but what is your experiance with that issue?

Today I am not in studio, but tommorow I will check this other setting U have mentioned.....

Henry Epstein
October 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Slobodan,

Minus in Master Pedestal values crushes blacks; positive values washes them out...

Mikael's advice is a very good one... Try lowering Master Pedestal to -15 and you'll see a cleaner image. If you have a waveform monitor try to adjust Master Pedestal to 0 IRE which would might be around -15/-20 on the HPX500.

Hope this help. Good luck.

Cheers!

Henry