View Full Version : Which Lens for HPX500

Aaron Page
October 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Hey, I am pretty new to this forum though I have been a lurker for sometime. I am looking into getting a Pani HPX500 and would like some suggestions on lenses. I have heard that I could use a SD lens, but not sure which ones would work best. If anyone with some experience in this matter could help shed some light on this for me I would be very grateful.

TingSern Wong
October 17th, 2009, 09:19 PM
If you want to film in SD, you could use a SD lens for HPX500. However, using a SD lens for filiming HD - is like having a Porsche with a Volkwagon engine inside. The SD lens won't be capture details HD demands. Don't your HPX500 comes with a HD lens already?

Aaron Page
October 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't actually have the camera yet, but I found some OK deals without a lens. Then there are 4 different HD lenses and one SD lens that I can add through various people. Here is a quick list of possible lenses I could possibly get my hands on. I don't know what any of it means. went here FUJIFILM USA FUJINON | (http://www.fujinon.com/Broadcast/FAQ.aspx), but it really isn't much help.

- Fujinon A20x8BEVM with 2x Extender
- Fujinon A17x7.8BERM-M28C with 2x Extender
- Fujinon A8x5.5
- Fujinon XA17x7.6 CAC Zoom Lens w/o 2x Extender

I couldn't even find these lenses anywhere on Fujinon's website. If you could illuminate me as to what a decent HD lens would be I would be grateful.

Aaron Page
November 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM
OK, I got a lot of conflicting views so I am going to do a few tests and post the result. I did get the camera and have both the Fujinon lens bundled with the camera as well as a SD lens of my old Beta SP cam. I did some quick tests and they look comparible. Keep in mind these will be anything but scientific. I just going to post examples of footage and let you decide.

Christian Magnussen
November 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Some say that a good SD lens resolves enough for the chip the HPX500 comes with, i was lucky enough to get a Canon KJ16x7.7 with a good deal with my HPX500.

You might want to take a look here:
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/cs/csregistp2m/ep2main/cac_note_e.htm

I would go with the XA17 lens you listed as it has the CAC function enabled, granted it's the same lens as the one in the Pana list above.

Paul Hudson
February 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I use a Fujinon SD lens with my HPX 500 with fantastic results. Visit my website, view the video on the homepage and tell me what you think.

Paul Hudson
Lizardlandvideo.com
Phoenix Video Production