View Full Version : Time needed for Compression to MPEG2/DVD?

Bill Vincent
October 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm just wondering how long on average it takes for you to encode Final Cut Pro sequences to MPEG2 DVD format, on average for a 1.5 hour (average wedding) DVD project.

I feel like it's taking me way longer than it should take, although I know lots of factors play into this. I'm looking for average numbers - 8 hours? 20 hours? 40 hours? Do you compress using 2-pass encoding and highest quality, or something a bit less? Do you offload to another machine for your rendering to leave your main machine free to edit?

For example, I'm exporting a Ceremony (18 min.) using FCP export to Compressor, and using the 150 min. DVD 2-pass compression template to spit out the video and Dolby Digital files needed for the DVD. It's telling me 5 hours to compress. I don't think it will take quite that long, but probably 3 if I'm lucky the way it's going. That seems way long to me.

Anyway, examples, workflows, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, I'm using a Macbook Pro 2.5 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB RAM and latest versions of everything in FCP3. And, it is taking longer than three hours. It's been baking for 2.5 hours and is just over halfway now. For 18 minutes? I know I'm using fairly high quality Compressor settings, but is this normal?? Anyone?

Thanks!

Aaron Fowler
October 18th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Export to Quicktime Movie and use Current Settings. Open up the exported file in Compressor then do your conversion to MPEG2. Although it's two processes it's still faster. Plus you also get the added bonus of freeing up Final Cut.

What Format is the edit? Many titles/overlays etc? Are you down converting as well?

Bill Vincent
October 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Hi Aaron,

Thanks much for the reply. Splitting up the process is a good idea if it goes faster with no quality loss. I'll try it. I'll feel better with HD master files anyway, although they will take up lots of intermediary space. My edit format is HD 1440 60i. I am downconverting to SD DVD. No titles in this batch.

So exporting from FCP - what codec makes the most sense for the master HD files? ProRes422 HD 1440 60i? Is there a better codec approach for HD masters that are going to SD DVD?

Aaron Fowler
October 18th, 2009, 10:09 PM
I generally export everything from Final Cut with the original Sequence Settings and convert everything in Compressor. That's just my preference.

I wouldn't go changing the codec before downconverting to SD DVD because then you're introducing the opportunity for more generation loss to sneak in and it will be just as time consuming.

It wouldn't hurt to deinterlace the footage before you downconvert. Not sure off the top of my head how good FCP/Compressor is with deinterlacing, last time I did it was in After Effects which gave a pretty decent result, but that was a while ago so I don't remember all the details.

Pete Cofrancesco
October 18th, 2009, 10:20 PM
the downconvert is whats taking so long. I don't shoot in HD for this reason. you either need to charge more for HD or buy a faster computer. HD doesn't take any longer to shoot but its a world of difference to encode.

Bill Vincent
October 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Having much better luck exporting HD masters from FCP and then using Compressor to crunch them into SD MPEG elementary streams. This is probably a better workflow anyway, so I will have HD masters in case I want to burn Blu Ray later (or whatever delivery flavor of the week there is in the future). This way I won't have to break back into the FCP project either in the future.