View Full Version : 4GB or 8GB in a MacBook Pro?

Paul Shapiro
October 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM
We need to buy a new 17-inch MacBook Pro to supplement our 8GB MacPro desktops. Obviously, we'll be lumbered with whatever problems Snow Leopard hands us. But our question is regarding the amount of RAM needed to play nicely with Final Cut Pro 2 (no plan to upgrade to FCP 3 at the moment). It will be hooked up via eSATA to a G-RAID 500 Mini 7200rpm, among other assorted drives.

I've read that FCP doesn't use more than 4GB, although we'll also have other programs running such as Motion, Soundtrack Pro etc. It's a good $1,000 more to load up to the max 8GB. So is the extra 4GB worth the cost?

I can't see any other threads that address this directly, so thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Nick Gordon
October 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
If you're going to do stuff in Motion, I think you should get as much memory as you can.

You can get compatible memory of very good quality from Crucial or Kingston a lot cheaper than Apple's own. I always get my extra memory from one of those guys.

Paul Shapiro
October 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info, Nick. Reckon I'll goose it up to the max!

Ryan Mitchell
October 19th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Macsales.com had great memory as well and is affordable.

Paul Shapiro
October 19th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I'll definitely check that out, Ryan. Many thanks.

Peter Richardson
October 21st, 2009, 12:17 AM
Only $600 to get 8GB on apple.com now. They may have lowered the price along with other announcements today.

Peter