View Full Version : EX1R and PMW350 First Details

Pages : [1] 2

Tom Daigon
October 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Sony's offical site on the new EX350 and EX1R
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_EU&contentId=1237476716938&parentFlexibleHub=1166605171707

Steve Shovlar
October 20th, 2009, 01:54 AM
Very interesting. No pricing as yet today?

The new SxS cards sound the same thing as the cheaper P2 cards. Work the same but limited lifespan. Hopefully they won't have a built in timer to automatically "turn off" after 5 years regardless of how much they have been used.

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Steve,

The Sony meeting I was a part of said the new cards will have about 1/10 the read/write life of the regular SxS cards.

The pricing I got was about 20K USD for the body with the newly designed Fujinon lens and right at 18.5K USD for a kit without lens. In either case, the unit is supplied with viewfinder and microphone. It's the same stereo mic that came with the other 3xx disc based cameras.

-gb-

Steve Shovlar
October 20th, 2009, 02:18 AM
$20,000 with lens and viewfinder, ready to go, is a bargain. Factor in street pricing and we could take another $2000 off that price.

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Agreed Steve, it is the 'mid-priced' camera many users have been asking for.

-gb-

Steve Shovlar
October 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Agreed Steve, it is the 'mid-priced' camera many users have been asking for.

-gb-

2/3rd inch chips. Will be superb in low light. Shame it's not 4:2.2 50Mbs but a Nano can sort that one.

You are right its designed to fill a large hole in the market.

Damian Heffernan
October 20th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Like to know two things:
when will it be available to buy and will it be the same price as the EX1 on release with a reduction in the price of "old" ex1's.

Christian Magnussen
October 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Looks quite good, but CMOS and 4:2:0. If it's a HD "replacement" or HD companion for the DSR450/570, how will it perform in news shooting....when about all the stills guys fires of their flashes?

Ofcourse 4:2:0 can be solved with a nano flash at the back, but that's one more thing to go wrong in the field...to be a bit picky.

What's also interesting now is how Panasonic see the cmos use, will they respond with CMOS in any higher priced camera than the Hpx300?

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera? That's reserved for the higher end XDCAM line. I think the Nanoflash or equivalent is a good way around that problem.

As for news gathering, I don't think this is the market the PMW-350 is aimed at. Not that it won't be used for that purpose by someone. It would have the benefit of reaching into the darkness with those 2/3 CMOS chips and pulling out a decent image.

-gb-

Mike Marriage
October 20th, 2009, 07:39 AM
You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera?

No, not from Sony! Excluding the 4:2:2 codec is clearly a business decision rather than a technical limitation. I can see why they've done it but I think it is a real shame. I think it means they will just sell a load of these cameras and give away potential market to the Nano Flash. If they added 4:2:2 as a £500 add on, they could squeeze a fair bit more in profit from this camera.

Christian Magnussen
October 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
You can't seriously think they would put the 50mb 4:2:2 codec on this camera? That's reserved for the higher end XDCAM line. I think the Nanoflash or equivalent is a good way around that problem.

As for news gathering, I don't think this is the market the PMW-350 is aimed at. Not that it won't be used for that purpose by someone. It would have the benefit of reaching into the darkness with those 2/3 CMOS chips and pulling out a decent image.

-gb-
Well, we just have to wait and see what Panasonic does...if the Avc-i on a 8 grand 1/3" is any direction they aim for I suspect 4:2:2 10bit all over their P2 range at some point.

Actually I was a bit surprised that the PMW-350 futured 2/3" chips, not 1/2". Very nice to get the performance needed in low light over 1/2" and 1/3". And even more surprised they included a lens with autofocus...

Mitchell Skurnik
October 20th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Sony Product Detail Page - PMWEX1R (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/cat-broadcastcameras/product-PMWEX1R/)
I love it when people hide things on websites :)
The XDCAM EX PMW-EX1R is the direct successor to Sony’s first entry into memory recording – the PMW-EX1. The PMW-EX1R features a range of ergonomic enhancements of the EX1, including an improved hand grip, a one-push S & Q switch and a one-push Auto Iris button. Other enhancements include SD recording in DVCAM, a Cache Recording Function, an Image Inversion Function and an IR remote control receptor on the rear of the camcorder’s handle allowing remote control from both the front and the rear of the camcorder. The PMW-EX1R utilizes three 1/2-inch type Exmor™ CMOS sensors, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 (H) x 1080 (V). This technology delivers superior picture performance with full-HD resolution and allows the camcorder to provide an excellent sensitivity of F10 and a remarkable signal-to-noise ratio of 54dB. The PMW-EX1R produces truly exceptional images in 1080p, 720p and 1080i HD. The PMW-EX1R is equipped with a high-quality, high-definition Fujinon 14x zoom lens specifically designed to offer optimum picture performance and unprecedented functionality. The full Sony XDCAM EX line-up provides stunning HD picture quality and efficient nonlinear operation, expanding the creative possibilities in every type of HD video production.

Warren Kawamoto
October 20th, 2009, 02:18 PM
how will it perform in news shooting....when about all the stills guys fires of their flashes?

I read somewhere that the new clipbrowser will have a tool to take care of those half screen flashes. Can someone confirm this?

Yuri Martins Galliett
October 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Warren Kawamoto:

Taken from XDCAM-USER.com (http://www.xdcam-user.com:)

"Talking of lightning and flashes, there will be a new version of the Clip Browser software with the ability to automatically correct partial frame exposure or “flash bands” caused by strobe lights."

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I read somewhere that the new clipbrowser will have a tool to take care of those half screen flashes. Can someone confirm this?

Yes, that is true. Sony have elected to address the problem outside the camera at this point.

-gb-

Greg Boston
October 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Like to know two things:
when will it be available to buy and will it be the same price as the EX1 on release with a reduction in the price of "old" ex1's.

The EX1R 'replaces' the EX1 which is now discontinued. Any current orders in the pipeline for an EX1 will get the newer camera instead.

-gb-

Heath McKnight
October 29th, 2009, 07:49 AM
The EX1R addresses issues I've had with the EX1, which I am a big fan, and seems to incorporate features I was used to in older models (V1u, Z1u). The PMW350 seems to be the ultimate camera!

I can't wait to learn more. Watching the video now with Bob Ott and Mel Medina.

Heath

Rick DeBari
October 30th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I wish this camera was not over about 4.5 lbs, had a built-in hard drive option or used standard, inexpensive SD cards(the memory stick adapter is lame). For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?
Other than those items it looks great. Just need to see what the price is going to be I guess..

Alister Chapman
October 31st, 2009, 02:30 AM
The EX1R is a professional level camera. Most pro users don't won't to risk valuable material buy using fragile hard drives in the field or uncertain consumer grade media.

SD card adapters do exist and many people on these forums are using them. I was one of the people that discovered the original Kensington adapter/SD card combo. However I still shoot on SxS as I know that it will work, without any issue, in any mode. I do have adapters and SD cards in my kit, but these are for emergencies only as they just don't give me the confidence that SxS does.

Paul Kellett
October 31st, 2009, 04:33 AM
For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?

Where have you been ?

E-Films product range (http://www.e-films.com.au/shoppingcart/)

Paul.

Chris Hurd
October 31st, 2009, 04:50 AM
For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?Hard to believe. See http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-cinealta/139961-mxr-expresscard-reader-moves-final-qc-shipping.html

Marcus Durham
October 31st, 2009, 04:51 AM
I wish this camera was not over about 4.5 lbs, had a built-in hard drive option or used standard, inexpensive SD cards(the memory stick adapter is lame). For goodness sake, when the heck is someone going to make an SXS->SD card adapter for the EX-1?

There are 2 companies making such an adaptor specifically for the EX1. In fact using SD cards is one of the favourite topics on this very interweb forum.

Rick DeBari
October 31st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the info folks!

I was aware that people had tried SxS work-arounds using SxS/SD card readers but I wasn't aware there were specific models that were tested specifically for the EX1R. This now makes me less afraid of going with the EX1R as the media costs scared me.

My only concern is the weight factor now. I do quite a bit of handheld shots at live events. Are lengthy handheld shots impractical with the EX1/R due to the weight factor?

Thanks,
Rick

Ron Wilk
October 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
It weighs 6 lbs 2 oz with one SXS card and the standard battery and I understand that it still tends to lean to the left. I personally found the original Ex1 to be quite uncomfortable (wrist fatigue) when hand held for any more than ten minutes at a time but that was my experience, your's may be different. In addition, there has been some alleged improvement in the grip position but the only way to realistically address your concern is to try it for yourself. Because I found the camera to be unwieldy when hand held, I actually opted for the EX3, which, when coupled with one of the extended plates is IMO more easily supported but others will take issue with that statement and in the end, it is a personal decision.

Alister Chapman
October 31st, 2009, 10:24 AM
The EX1R is much more comfortable to hand hold than the EX1. But it is still quite heavy so fatigue is till an issue. What about a monopod?

Graeme Fullick
October 31st, 2009, 03:44 PM
As usual, Alistair is right on the money here - I use my EX1 on a monopod most of the time - its a great combo. Allows you to run and gun quite well and do a whole lot of other shots that you can't do hand held (like crane shots).

If you don't like monopods, there are a number of shoulder mount solutions around that others have given favourable commment. I have the "El Cheapo" one that Phil Bloom promoted - and it is quite OK, but I still prefer the monopod.

Chris Li
October 31st, 2009, 04:08 PM
Never used one, but it looks promising.

WristShot-Hoodman Corporation (http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1060)

Rick DeBari
October 31st, 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks again for all the great information guys!

Is there a good, reasonably-priced belt mounted support that would work with the EX1 series? Like a poors man's steadicam except a simpler device??

Barry J. Weckesser
October 31st, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have found this unit with the telescoping arm and using a belt support very comfortable to use for extended periods. It takes all the weight off your hands. Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2.php) and the belt is here :Shape WLB - The list of our products (http://shapewlb.com/en/products-accessories.php)

Adam Stanislav
November 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Barry, this may be a dumb question, but how do you focus, zoom, etc, with that SPIDER II support? I mean it has two handles, so I am assuming you are supposed to hold it with both hands for stability. So, is it only meant for autofocus? Or for a high DoF?

Colin Rowe
November 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the info folks!

I was aware that people had tried SxS work-arounds using SxS/SD card readers but I wasn't aware there were specific models that were tested specifically for the EX1R. This now makes me less afraid of going with the EX1R as the media costs scared me.

Thanks,
Rick
Sony are going to release their own "Memory Stick" adaptor, and less expensive SxS cards for use with the EX1r, check it out here. Sony : XDCAM EX, PMW-350, PMW-EX1R Reviewed : Other (http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?site=biz_en_EU&contentId=1237476716938&articlesection=10)

Adam Stanislav
November 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
I have found this unit with the telescoping arm and using a belt support very comfortable to use for extended periods. It takes all the weight off your hands. Shape WLB - SPIDER II camera support - SP2200 (http://www.shapewlb.com/en/products/spider2.php) and the belt is here :Shape WLB - The list of our products (http://shapewlb.com/en/products-accessories.php)

Argh! I tried to buy it. It sent me to paypal, which rejected my debit card. I tried three times. Each time paypal claimed my card was rejected. But my bank emailed me that paypal charged it for 0,65 Euro three times and then credited it right back.

I wish companies like this did not use paypal but just accepted credit and debit cards.

Charles Vallieres
November 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Hello,

I'm sending you a picture where you can see one hand resting on the handle and the other hand directly on the camera. The camera support on the picture is an older model with only one handle. But the point remain the same, it's possible to have both hands on the camera.

Charles

Adam Stanislav
November 3rd, 2009, 11:09 AM
Thank you, Charles. That looks good.

Barry J. Weckesser
November 3rd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Adam - in answer to your previous question about how I focus and also to elaborate on Charles' picture that he posted: With the telescoping arm, all the weight of the camera is transfered to the shoulder support and wherever the arm rests so you do not need a strong grip on the handles at all. I have a Manfrotto remote mounted on the right handle like so: Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-006 (http://shapewlb.com/en/includes/community/photo-gallery/slides/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-006.html#picttop) and Shape WLB community/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-005 (http://shapewlb.com/en/includes/community/photo-gallery/slides/barry-j-weckesser-sept-2009-005.html) so I can zoom and press the record button without touching the camera and on the left side I position the handle straight up, cup it in my left palm and use my first or second finger to reach over and focus - it is very comfortable to do this and you can get some great pan and zoom shots being able to hold the camera well stabilized.

Adam Stanislav
November 3rd, 2009, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Barry, I am going to order that Manfrotto controller as soon as I post this message (I have so much more to learn about this new camera of mine, it is embarrassing!). Meanwhile the Shape people have assured me they are looking into alternatives to PayPal, which claims it could not verify my VISA card despite them charging me $1 on it successfully and then reversing the charge.

Adam Stanislav
November 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I have ordered the Manfrotto controller and it has arrived. Apparently it only works with the EX1 because I sure cannot plug it into my EX3. :)

Edit: Never mind. I was trying to plug it to the remote at the back to the camera. A call to B&H later and I plugged it to the lens remote, and that works. :)

Ola Christoffersson
November 10th, 2009, 03:10 AM
This thread has been hijacked! Can somebody please put it straight? I'd like to discuss the new EX1R and 350.

Chris?

Garrett Low
November 10th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Does anyone know if Sony is planning on coming out with an EX3R soon? I am planning on getting an EX3 soon but I would hate to buy one and then find that they come out with an EX3R soon after.

Thanks,
Garrett

Sorry Ola, not quite an EX1R or 350 question but at least it may get some discussion about the features of the EX1R going again.

Alister Chapman
November 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I was told that there are no plans for an EX3R at this time.

Andy Wilkinson
November 10th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Garrett, if you need it, just go for it, allowing enough time to get fully familiar/skilled with it before anything important needs shooting. The EX3 is a great cam - you'd have to chop my arms off to get mine! If an EX3R comes out next year (I know nothing - but it would seem a totally logical step) then the original EX3 (-R) will still be a great cam!...nothing will change that even if it won't have orange backed switches and (perhaps more importantly) better IR handling.

There is always another slightly better upgrade coming in technology - we've all been there with this. It's the price you pay for being at the leading edge - or as most prefer to call it the bleeding edge ( = as in the injury inflicted on your wallet I think!). I tend to try and buy early in a product cycle (as I did with my EX3 and as I've just done with a Canon 7D) but that's not always the best route as mid/late cycle you tend to get a product which has had the little gremlins ironed out with minor redesigns, firmware fixes and quality control issues etc. that you might not even have been aware of within the product but which improve it's reliability/performance to design specifications enormously (I come from a scientific / hi tech manufacturing background in a former career spanning 20 years - albeit not in cameras but I think I know a little about this - you'll just have to trust me on that one!).

OK, maybe this thread really should return to EX1R and 350 discussion now!

Garrett Low
November 10th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks Allister and Andy, I agree that I need time to familiarize myself with the camera and all of its features. I've also got to experiment with workflow. So, I see an EX3 in my near future.

Thanks, and now back to the EX1R and 350.

Now, if I had the means I think I'd go for the 350. But that's another dream.

Garrett

Paul Inglis
November 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM

I wrote a blog post the other day mentioning most the current and soon to be released XDCAM EX media. You can read at Alternative Media for the Sony PMW-EX1 and the PMW-EX3 (http://harbourcreekproductions.co.uk/blog/?p=65)

As I have an PMW-EX3 the new PMW-350 with larger 2/3" chips on a full shoulder mount cam looks the biz. Glad I held off purchasing the PDW-700. Mind you it's still a very nice cam.

Chris Hurd
November 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
This thread has been hijacked! I'd like to discuss the new EX1R and 350. Chris?The proper way to handle this is to use the Report Post system. It's the little "!" icon to the left of every post. I can peel away the posts which don't belong here and move them into a separate thread of their own if you'll please report the first one and the last one of the off-topic tangent. Thanks in advance,

Adam Stanislav
November 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
Createasphere - The New Sony PMW-EX1R - Playback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgU61dPdMkU) - a video from HDExpo.

Jonathan Morrow
November 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I was soundly beaten when I suggested, during the speculation a few weeks back, that Sony's "big announcement" might be that 2/3" PDW-700 chips were going into an EX sized cam. That was of course not the case, I have just realised however, that the new PMW-350 will have a 2/3" chip that is CMOS (not CCD) and therefore quite possibly suitable for the EXes. What say you Alister?

Alister Chapman
November 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Not sure what you mean? To put 2/3" sensors with their larger prism etc in an EX would mean a much bigger camera, which is what Sony have produced in the form of the 350.

Jonathan Morrow
November 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
If it means a bigger camera then I suppose there isn't much point. Isn't there any spare room inside the EXes?

Simon Wyndham
November 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Isn't there any spare room inside the EXes?

Not really. Though amazingly the vast majority of the bulk of EX is the lens. Take a look at where the focus point is marked on the body. Quite incredible.

Jonathan Morrow
November 12th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I promise to have a look when I buy one.