View Full Version : Just Got My NextoDI!

Pages : 1 [2]

Daniel Symmes
November 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Dan -

"eSATA is for computer ONLY?"

Are you saying you can't offload to an external drive from the NEXTO except via USB? Strictly CF to internal, USB out from the NEXTO to an external ONLY?

Something not quite right.

CF to NEXTO. Got it.

NEXTO out to? Via?

Dan Keaton
November 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Dear Daniel,

I posed this question to Nexto:

"I feel that the answer to your question: "Can I plug in a eSATA hard drive and have the CompactFlash card copied to two locations at once?" is no.

I feel that the eSATA connection is designed for transfers to a computer."

I received the following answer:

"The esata connection is only for transfering data to a computer. You are correct that only using USB allows the sync function."

I hope this helps.

Daniel Symmes
November 11th, 2009, 06:35 PM
That's a device killer.

Dead thread.

Jeff Silverman
November 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Daniel,

That is pretty harsh. As a device to use at the camera, put in your pocket, run off its own internal battery, copy CF cards on the fly, using one single button, and working reliably, and hasn't blown up any CF cards like Leopard has. And it's a bargain at $300 for the 2700.

Jeff

Daniel Symmes
November 11th, 2009, 07:26 PM
"Harsh."

Not discussing the 2700.

USB is NOT fast enough (unless it goes USB3, which it currently isn't).

The upcoming CD feature of recording to two CF at the same time is now starting to look VERY good, for feature work.

Lance Librandi
November 12th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hello All,
I have been very seriously considering purchasing a Nexto NVS2500 I have contacted both CD and Nexto for more information. Nexto have emailed me a copy of the manual to study the operational functions of the copier.
Dan is correct that you can only copy to an external drives in USB mode only. It is bit slow and really only useful to off load the internal drive overnight and really not for field operations, but it eliminates having to take your laptop. In the manual Nexto make the following comment re Multi=Copy “Connect the AC power adapter to both the NVSPRO and the external USB Drive”. This indicates to me that the NVSPRO may not have enough power for the external USB drive and the internal at the same time during this copy function. I have found a NexStar 3 drive enclosure to take 2.5” drives that has USB 2 and esata connections, I just have to find a 5 volt power supply.

A good feature is that you can preview files from the internal or external drive and you can select show video clips which produces a thumbnail and Dan did say no sound.

Aaron how have you found the delete file process it sounds a bit strange with the method they have employed. In the manual they say “The NVSPRO asks you twice to confirm the delete operation. (If you do not want to delete it, press the button for more than 2 seconds to go back to the main menu.) Have I got this right you press the same button to execute delete and by holding it down for more than 2 seconds to cancel? I trust by now you have deleted files, how have you found it.?

My other concern is can the Nexto copy 64 GB PhotoFast 533X cards and they said they had not tested them yet. I am sure they or CD will test them in due course.

My major issue is with APPLE and Snow Leopard screwing things up. I have set my system up with three Stardom raid 0 3TB drives operating of a Stardom SJ20x8 PCI-E esata 4 port card and YEAP it’s not compatible with Snow Leopard. Which means I am left to do my transfers in Firewire 400 or USB and I need esata mode for speed. I have Shotput Pro and have been using it with firewire 400 and it’s painfully slow to copy to a raid 1 drive.
I think the Nexto is the answer for speed using esata, I just have to wait for drivers for this bitch of an OS

Bob Griffiths
November 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM
That's a device killer.

Maybe... sorta. I was looking at spending the extra bucks on the 2500 if it could do the dual transfer in roughly the same amount of time. If USB2 is going to be so slow, then it may not be practical, particularly in light of Lance's post about requiring power adaptors. But I am still diggin' the Nexto concept... but probably with the 2700. The 2500 has the screen for playback, tho... even if the .mov implementation isn't working yet and it seems more robust. Lotta money. Fence sitting.

BTW, very important... how slow is slow? Will USB2 take twice as long as the transfer to the internal drive with verification on? 1.5x? 3x?

Dead thread.

NO!... please. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat and I would like to know what your thoughts are on workflow. This is a great thread... let's think this through together. My thoughts are:
- Go with 2700 (maybe 2500) and offload CF in the field... with verification, which is slower.
- get an eSATA Expresscard adaptor for the MacBook Pro and off-load at night through ShotPut Pro.
- This has the added advantage for me of allowing ProxyMill to tap into this process and create proxy files that I have to send to the writers.
- I'm also planning on using the Nexto device as the primary storage device with an OWC 500GB drive as the secondary. I go out on shoots for weeks at a time, so I will probably buy 2 Nexto units and corresponding secondary drive ... at least. So there are cost considerations here.

Thanks Dan K for the answers. I don't really like them but much appreciated.

Thanks all!

Ned Soltz
November 12th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Having worked with both units and having just reviewed the 2700, I honestly feel more confident with the "ruggedized" 2700.

And other observations are correct-- dual backup is only via USB.

Ned Soltz

Aaron Newsome
November 12th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I have not deleted individual files. I've only done format.

Alister Chapman
November 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I just got a NVS 2500 and I love it.

Deleting backup folders is done by pushing the thumb stick up to delete and then when it asks you to confirm you push it down, so two different operations to delete a folder. I don't think you can delete individual files.

The speed of backup over USB will depend on the speed of your CF cards. For Transcend x133 cards the internal backup is about 20% faster than backing up to both internal and external drives. Backing up SxS cards is incredibly fast to the internal drive, but much slower to both drives, around 70% slower.

Daniel Symmes
November 12th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Bob -

Indeed we need a solution.

Some have commented how negative having a laptop on location would be.

Since mine is everywhere I shoot, this isn't an issue.

Consider: if you already have a decent laptop, and it has an ExpressCard slot, you can use an ExpressCard CF reader, and copy to a simple, cheap external drive (or internal if you have the space).

Lexar will have such a beast soon.

Yet, as I have EX3 SxS cards as well, the 2500 still has it uses. It IS a good concept. But USB2 is too slow for use on a set (in my humble opinion, of course).

The feature I'm working on is considering NOT reusing the CF cards. For a 98 min. film, 5:1 shooting ratio, @100 Mbps rate, we're talking 6, 64GB cards. With a current price of $299, we're only talking $1,800 for "original camera negative."

At night, my assistant uses a laptop or NEXTO to copy the cards as a backup. The original cards would go to editorial. The backup (external) would go on a shelf at a different location. Security.

Should NEXTO be listening, with ever-increasing need for transfer speed, eSATA obviously trumps USB. Of course, if USB3 can be implemented...

Ned Soltz
November 12th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Nexto notes that the NVS2500 "forward compatible" with USB3. Whether that means there is a potential for USB3 upgrade remains another question.

I have just reviewed the 2500 and in fact was an original beta tester of the unit. I have direct contacts with the engineers in Korea and I wrote to my main contact indicating 1) users would prefer eSata over USB for dual backup 2) Is there going to be an option to upgrade to USB3?

I'll keep the board posted of anything I can reveal without violating any NDA's!

Ned Soltz

Daniel Symmes
November 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Great, Ned.

Bob Griffiths
November 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Consider: if you already have a decent laptop, and it has an ExpressCard slot, you can use an ExpressCard CF reader, and copy to a simple, cheap external drive (or internal if you have the space).

I have a great laptop. I guess like you, I was hoping to leave it in my briefcase and do everything through the 2500... well except for the ProxyMill proxies. CD is recommending the SanDisk Express Card 34 for the eSATA connection.

You are right. One of the big draws of the Nexto is the security. That's why I was going with it as the primary back-up and the OWC drives as the secondary back-up.

I too vote for activating the eSATA spigot for simultaneous back-up!

Thanks, Daniel...

Ned Soltz
November 12th, 2009, 04:23 PM
BTW, 2500 is now compatible with JVC ProHD formats as well as Canon 5D

PR rep just called me.

These new formats are added in the 1.06 firmware update now available on www.nextodiusa.com There was nothing that I could find that detailed any features of the update. However, the rep did tell me about JVC and Canon 5D. I updated without a hitch.

Ned

Ned Soltz
November 13th, 2009, 07:07 AM
The word from Nexto is that eSata would require a hardware change and that it is under consideration for a later successor version to the NVS2500. Likewise, USB3 would require a hardware change. An upcoming firmware update to the 2500 will increase X copy speed. His recommendation was to copy card to 2500 in the field and sync at some later point

And I just found the document detailing the 1.06 firmware update.

This is most important for the Convergent Design board since 1.06 adds compatibility for playback of nano and XDR files!

Ned