View Full Version : Rode ntg2 for Interviews with Canon 5d mkii

Dom Stevenson
November 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I've got to shoot some interviews on my 5D mkii and am looking for a mic for the job. The job will need to go to DVD so i'll have to change the framerate to 25 fps in FCP's cinematools. I already own a rode ntg2 mic and since this is a cheap job i'd rather not buy anything new. Would this be suitable for the job or do i need to buy a zoom, Edirol, olympus LS10 or some other external recording device?

Alternatively, does anyone know where i could rent one of these things for 2 days in London next week?

Cheers

D

Jon Fairhurst
November 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
To use the NTG-2 into the 5D2, you'd at least need an XLR to 1/8" adapter (hopefully with a transformer), and you'd need to run Magic Lantern to set a fixed gain. The levels will be low, and the result will be a bit noisy, unless you can get your hands on a powered preamp or mixer, like a juicedLink.

If you can't get a preamp or mixer with gain, or can't/won't run Magic Lantern, go for an external recorder.

1. Canon 5D Mark II Audio Exposed - Boom Mic (juicedLink, Zoom H4n, Microtrack II, BeachTek) on Vimeo

Part 2: Camera Mounted Mic - vimeo.com/5388476
Part 3: Wireless Lavalier - vimeo.com/5443143
Part 4: Foley - vimeo.com/5453690
Part 5: Noise - vimeo.com/5474562
Part 6: Conclusions - vimeo.com/5903379

Dom Stevenson
November 2nd, 2009, 04:33 PM
Many thanks Jon. That's a great video. I think i'm going to go with a zoom type recorder for the time being, since i play guitar and would like to have one for that also. I notice there are some cheap nearly new Zoom H2 recorders around.
Is there much difference between these and the more expensive H4?

Jon Fairhurst
November 2nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
The H4n is supposed to have better preamps than the H4 and H2. It also has a better clock, so it doesn't drift much when sync'ing with video.

I haven't used the H2 or H4, so I don't know how big a difference there is.

One thing I know: the Microtrack II is noisy. We use it successfully with a juicedLink as a front end, but naked, it's weak.