View Full Version : importing wireless mics into Australia

Bruce Taylor
November 16th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Any tips on importing wireless mics?
Australian regulations?

ACMA - Wireless microphones and digital television/datacasting (http://www.acma.gov.au/WEB/STANDARD/pc=PC_2635)
I have downloaded the PDF on this page, but it's dated November 2000. I am unsure if things have changed regarding wireless.

Put simply:
1) Which wireless system should I consider buying (budget undecided now, but I want quality). Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 series?
2) What frequency should they be operating in?
3) Am I breaking any laws buying a wireless system and importing into Australia?

Allan Black
November 16th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Bruce one thing I always buy locally because of our laws and the US rules have changed. I think now you might be stopped at customs. Senn is good. Cheers.

Steve Bowman
November 16th, 2009, 04:24 AM
Worked with a Stenn set up for years / no problem
ex John Barry Group /same price as any US store incl B&H

Steve

Bruce Taylor
November 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Wireless microphone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_microphone#Australia)
In Australia, operation of wireless microphones of up to 100 mW between 520 MHz and 820 MHz is covered by a class license, allowing any user to operate the devices without obtaining an individual license. The onus, however, is on the user of the wireless microphone to resolve any interference that the use of the microphone may cause to licensed radio communications services.
--------------

This is how much of it made sense to me.

The ACMA website is a complex maze. I almost feel like I need a lawyer and technical guru beside me to guide me. I think I might give them a call to make sure.

I'm sure some of you guys have imported wireless mic gear from the USA. So I think it may be safe to buy a device from there without getting confiscated by customs, as long as they are within 520 MHz to 820 MHz and as long as they are used properly, I think there would be no problem. I'm sure lots of you may travel with your gear overseas, too (me, not yet).

I'll contact ACMA and Australian Customs soon to be sure. I am probably in the safe though, I feel.