View Full Version : Premiere CS3 exits on loading

Brad Tyrrell
November 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
After using premiere pro cs3 for quite a while, all of a sudden it exits after loading. I'm not sure if this is an Adobe problem or a Norton problem or a machine problem. It happened after a power failure, and while I was running premiere at the time, my power backup let me close the file and shut down premiere before it too died.

The computer is working fine with all other programs, including Encore & Photoshop. I just can't run Premiere. The other strange thing is that I can no longer access the Adobe site from that computer. The site starts to load then hangs forever.

I tried re-installing Premiere, no-luck. Then I downloaded the last update to CS3 (on another machine because the Premiere machine won't connect to the site) and trid to install it. No dice. The install hangs forever with "installing" on the screen.

I thought maybe there was an "installer" or "updater" problem, but can't figure it out.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brad Tyrrell

Pete Bauer
November 16th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Don't know if it'll help in this situation, but many wonky issues / crashes have reportedly been resolved by deleting the preference file and letting PPro recreate a new one the next time it opens.

Pending any better ideas, worth a try.

Brad Tyrrell
November 16th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Pete, but I don't seem to find a preferences file. I totally removed CS3 and re-installed from the disk. Still the same. Finish loading and get to the welcome, - exit.

I'm in the middle of a project and this is going to give me nightmares.

Brad

Adam Gold
November 16th, 2009, 12:21 PM
A couple of other things to try...

Some people report success in this sort of situation by creating a new Admin User Account, then logging on to that and running Premiere from there.

Also, I think Adobe has a utility that cleans up after Premiere installs, that you need to run to clear up all that detritus before re-installing. I assume it can be downloaded from Adobe's website.

But I would not only make sure Norton is not running any time you want to use Premiere, I'd actually uninstall it from the machine.

Pete Bauer
November 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Brad, a re-install may not remove your old preference file. Sorry, I'm at work so can't give you the navigation to the pref file but it should be documented in the PPro user manual.

Brad Tyrrell
November 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
EUREKA! The new admin account did it! CS3 now runs.

Unfortunately, I created all my projects when I was logged in under the old admin account and I can't access those files when logged in under the new admin account. I'm currently copying those files to a new folder when logged in under the old account. Tedious, but it's working. Premiere can't find some things but my nights are saved. Thanks!

In my first post I said that when CS3 finished loading it exited. Looking more closely, premiere only loaded about 2/3 of the needed files then exited with a brief flash of the Welcome screen.

What's that all about I wonder. And why did it block my access to the Adobe site?

Actually, I do have one of the script clean up programs. I used it because I started with the Beta CS3 and needed it. I wonder if the clean-up script is particular to a single program.