View Full Version : I need a inexpensive solution for color correction

Kajito Nagib
November 19th, 2009, 02:22 AM
I'm shopping for a inexpensive monitor for color correction with magic bullet looks in post production. (My NLE is Vegas Pro 9)
Currently I'm using my Dell 2408WFP monitor for grading. Guy Cochran suggested that I use my Marshall V-LCD70P-HDA 7″ LCD Monitor for color correction along with the AJA IO Express but the AJA is over my budget. Any suggested?

thanks

Brian Luce
November 19th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I'm shopping for a inexpensive monitor for color correction with magic bullet looks in post production. (My NLE is Vegas Pro 9)
Currently I'm using my Dell 2408WFP monitor for grading. Guy Cochran suggested that I use my Marshall V-LCD70P-HDA 7″ LCD Monitor for color correction along with the AJA IO Express but the AJA is over my budget. Any suggested?

thanks

I don't know much about CC solution but there is a widespread and wrong belief that Spyders are a cheap way to get color accuracy. Reliable sources say this is a misconception.

Is there a way your Marshall can be used with your camera as a pass-thru?

Martin Chab
November 19th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Kajito,
check the NEC spectraview 2690 together with an EYE1 pro calibrator. I used it for several productions including cinema transfers with a very good result.

Brian Luce
November 19th, 2009, 11:02 AM
The Eye1 looks like a Spyder, they've been roundly dismissed as reliable tools for proper color accuracy.

Martin Chab
November 20th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I really dont care what people says about it. What can i tell you is that past year i made a series of very extreme color corrections for cinema transfer and we work together with Nordisk Film Lab (perhaps one of the biggest and more reputed labs and postproduction houses in the whole europe) and we could match perfectly my cheap NEC Spectraview monitor with the diverse emulsions. I mean, the projected 35mm films looked the same as my monitor.
That is enough for me.

Brian Luce
November 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Here's a thread discussing the pitfalls of using spyders.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sdtv-hdtv-video-monitors/215415-proper-lcd-calibration-video-colorgrading.html

Martin Chab
November 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
I continued my post on the other discussion. Please look there.