View Full Version : Filter and Wide Angle Lens Question

Kelly Langerak
November 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hi, I have the HF20 and will be ordering the Raynox HD-5050PROLE Wide Angle Lens.

I want to get two B & W Brand filters, UV and Haze filter to add better value to my wedding videos I shoot. I'd prefer if the filters fit the Wide Lens and the camera at 62mm but the camera is 37mm.

Does anyone know if a 37mm to 62mm Step Up Adapter exist?

Would the adapter effect the image when zooming with the Wide Lens on or off?

Or do you know of a better solution w/o having to buy double the amount of filters.

Also, am I buying the two most important filters for shooting? I don't need effect filters just ones to improve harsh conditions?

Thanks

Kevin Bjorke
November 23rd, 2009, 08:25 PM
vignetting is almost inevitable

Tripp Woelfel
November 28th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I've not seen step up rings that cover that drastic a range, but my searching has hardly been exhaustive.

I'm not sure that I would go that way because of the extra weight. I don't think it would cause an issue in normal use but if the adapter got bumped there could be problems. I also think it might move the balance too far forward and make the camera a bit unwieldy.

Some WA are "zoom through" and others are not. Check the specs before you buy. Zoom through adapters generally state that they are.

I'd add a polarizing filter to your list. I use mine a lot because I like that it helps bring out the details in things like clouds and pulls up the sky color. It's a personal preference.

Tom Hardwick
November 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Kelly, I'd advise you against using any sort of filter when you have the wide-angle converter in place, though Tripp's advice to use a polarizer is good as its effects are very difficult to replicate in post. Filters will lessen the efficiency of your lens hood as well as adding to the flare. Just keep a micro-fibre cloth in your shirt pocket.

I have no idea how a UV and haze filter will add 'better value' to your wedding videos. It won't improve 'harsh conditions' at all. In fact at the wide-angle focal lengths you'll be working at (about 2.5 mm) any sort of filter is a liability, and especially so if used against the light.

A 37 > 62 adapter is very unlikely, and you'd probably have to do it in two stages - 37 > 52, then a 52 > 62, something like that. Not nice.

tom.