View Full Version : Looking for battery/charger for HPX300

Art White
November 24th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Just got our HPX300. We got the package with no Mic, battery and charger. Has anyone purchased a combination Dionic 90 batery with (1) charger? I see a few with dual position chargers but I plan to have only one battery for a while.

Thanks,
Art

Jeff Regan
November 24th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I found a source for V-mount or Anton/Bauer mount Li Ion batteries and chargers called Empire Scientific. They use Japanese cells and I have had good experience with them in a rental house environment for three years, where I use 12)V-Mount batts. in two sizes and 4)Dual charger/AC adapters with LCD displays. The batteries have LED status indicators.

The 100 watt hour batteries only cost around $150, the larger batteries are around $225 and the chargers are $300. They are the same batteries that Bescor markets for twice the price, and much less than IDX and Anton-Bauer pricing.

Hopefully you could afford to buy two batteries and a dual charger. They sell packages like that. The V-Mount models are BLI-250 and BLI-250 8.8. Empire Scientific - Guaranteed to Perform! (http://www.empirescientific.com)

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Ron Wilk
November 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Just got our HPX300. We got the package with no Mic, battery and charger. Has anyone purchased a combination Dionic 90 batery with (1) charger? I see a few with dual position chargers but I plan to have only one battery for a while.

Thanks,
Art

I am using the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 and Tandem charger with the HPX300, great combo. With the proper adaptor, the battery system works just as well with my HPX 170. No issues with either.

Art White
November 24th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Two good suggestions. Thank you.
Art

Dan Brockett
November 24th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Art:

Check these out as well Gold Mount Style Batteries for AB Style Mounts Packages (http://www.batteries4broadcast.com/gmc09.htm)

Dan

Art White
November 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
AM4080 -120WH/AMC2 Package

Looks like 1 hour 20 minute batteries?

Art White
November 30th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Actually, I called the place and they are 6+ hours

Dan Brockett
November 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
The HPX300 is one of the most energy efficient pro cameras on the market. Only uses 18 watts, very low consumption. Just one more thing that I love about that camera.

Dan

TingSern Wong
December 3rd, 2009, 09:21 AM
I am using the Anton Bauer Dionic 90 and Tandem charger with the HPX300, great combo. With the proper adaptor, the battery system works just as well with my HPX 170. No issues with either.

Do you find - when you couple a Dionic 90 with your HPX170, it seems way too heavy? I was about to do that once - then when I realised that using the Panasonic 5400AH battery - I could easily get about 3 to 5 hours shooting time - and the balancing of the HPX170 with the Panny battery is far better than trying to jury rig the Dionic 90 into the HPX170, I stopped the project.

Currently, I am using 4 of those 5400AH batteries and they will easily last me more than one day's worth of shooting.

Ron Wilk
December 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
"Do you find - when you couple a Dionic 90 with your HPX170, it seems way too heavy? I was about to do that once - then when I realised that using the Panasonic 5400AH battery - I could easily get about 3 to 5 hours shooting time - and the balancing of the HPX170 with the Panny battery is far better than trying to jury rig the Dionic 90 into the HPX170, I stopped the project."

No, actually, it's lighter! The Anton Bauer mount is a pouch affair that you wear around your waist and a small adapter, similar to the one that Panasonic supplies to enable use of DC power from the battery charger, extends from the Gold mount (with plenty of slack) and plugs into the battery compartment. The pouch comes with a web belt and the whole thing is very comfortable to wear. The Gold mount that holds the Dionic 90 slides into the waist pouch and has the usual "D-tap" connector for supplying power to other accessories, i.e. on-camera light source. In summary, it's great! And BTW, Anton Bauer makes this mount specifically for the HPX170, so, it's not a jury rig.

TingSern Wong
December 3rd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thank you for the information. When I first tested it, my supplier gave me a bracket that actually goes under the camera - and that makes the camera heavy. Time for me to bug my supplier again then.

Ron Wilk
December 4th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The Anton Bauer Gold Mount/Pouch model number for the HPX 170 is the QR-DVX. I found it quite readily at B&H Photovideo in NY but it should be readily available.

Dan Brockett
December 4th, 2009, 06:34 PM
An Anton Bauer with an HPX170? So that will power it for what, three months of straight shooting? ;-)

Dan

Ron Wilk
December 5th, 2009, 09:53 AM
"An Anton Bauer with an HPX170? So that will power it for what, three months of straight shooting?"

Still laughing but in reality, I haven't actually charted its duration with the 170 beyond a full day's shooting but I'm certain that it could keep going awhile. That said, I did not purchase the AB system for the 170 but rather for an EX3 that I couldn't wait to dispose of and that I sold and replaced with an HPX300 which, of course, requires the AB battery. However, in an attempt to further standardize my system, the AB 170 Gold Mount made sense and provided the added benefit of reducing the overall carry weight of the camera and negated the need for two separate batteries and chargers.