View Full Version : HPX 170 lenses for use with redrock m2e

John Sconiers
November 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Just picked up a used hpx 170 and am now looking for lenses that I can use with the redrock m2e. Looking for a 35mm lens for conventional movie look and possible another lense for shooting seminars / speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff Regan
November 24th, 2009, 03:33 PM
If you want primes, Nikon AIS primes are plentiful and affordable. Newer lenses may not have manual iris control, auto focus with too little focus rotation in manual mode. Head shots are typically going to use 50mm and 85mm lenses. Spend the extra money for f1.4 versions--the 50mm is cheap, the 85mm is expensive. Try KEH and Adorama for good used lenses.

The other 35mm SLR prime option would be the Zeiss F series. More money, hard to find used.

Zooms like the Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 ED are very nice, but large and expensive. Stay away from zooms that don't hold a constant aperture and are slower than f28 unless shooting outdoors.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com

Dan Brockett
November 24th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I second Jeff, good info. I have the Nikon 50mm 1.4 AIS, 85mm 1.8 AIS. I had a Nikon 28mm 2.8 D, but it was a POS. The older Nikons are better for video generally, they were made in the days before auto focus so they are smoother, cheaper and have better mechanisms.

Dan