View Full Version : Deinterlacing

Ray Barber
December 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
This may be a daft question but I'm just about to knock out a load of dvds that will be mainly shown on LCD televisions or computers but there will be a few CRT TV's out there. Should I deinterlace or not?

Marty Welk
December 19th, 2009, 06:34 AM
crt is completly capable of displaying an interlace signal that was converted to progressive.
as it draws the even and odd feilds , they will just be from the same frame. it actually looks clearer still (when coded right), but the motion is then hosed back to the same framerate that the progressive is.

the losses will be the crt will not have 2x the motion (tricks) that it could have by having motion on each of the seperated feilds.

Most of the LCDs are completly capable of de-interlacing (and showing progressive) the mostly interlace signals that they are being fed. wont much matter to them, and people wouldnt set them right when they can choose between motion and progressive . chances are good that progressive will look best on the average LCD consumer box.

most of the computers can de-interlacing an interlace signal, The good dvd player programs do the same engine work that the LCD engines do. depends on what they use for a player and how it is set. but playing OUTside of a proper DVD player software computers will show a interlace mess , and its looks terrible.

safe is progressive :-( its a whole piece , even if its torn apart and displayed/transported interleaved.
everything that stayed with the "proper" specifications, and "book" and followed all the rules wont have any problem showing either int or Prog

there are days when i am happy that our progressive isnt as low as 25Fps.

David Dwyer
April 27th, 2010, 04:36 AM
I've been doing some testing with this and I had the same video, interlaced and the other deinterlaced.

I found the playback on my 1080i/720p LCD TV was better with the interlaced footage. The deinterlaced footage looked okay but was iffy on panning shots. This was for a DVD export via Adobe Encore with standard settings.

I deinterlace my footage for YouTube though.

Sareesh Sudhakaran
April 30th, 2010, 11:29 AM
concentrate on your key delivery platform...crts can usually handle issues much better than LCDs can.