View Full Version : Kelvin Temp WB w/HVX200

Xerxes Sangco
December 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hello all and happy new year,

I recently switched from an XHA1 to an HVX200 and so far I love the features I've come across. One feature I used with the A1 that I couldn't seem to find in the HVX is manually adjusting Kelvin temperature to my liking. I've been searching for the answer but can't seem to find it.

Is there any way to adjust the Kelvin Temperature on the HVX200 rather than having to use filters/cards/gels?

-Xerxes

Ken Hull
December 31st, 2009, 11:45 PM
There's a sticky in this section with a link to an on-line manual.

Page 41 tells how to set white balance to one of 2 factory presets (3200 or 5600). Of course, that's somewhat limiting if you want an adjustment other than 3200 or 5600. But page 40 seems to be telling how to set 2 user-defined settings (A or B).

Also, Barry Green wrote a book ("The HVX Book"?) about using the HVX200. It might have something to say about this.

Ken

Daniel Epstein
January 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
While you may be able to dial in a change to the white balance on the HVX-200 I don't believe it has anything quite like the Canon adjusting the color temp in 100k increments. Funny how you almost always lose something you like from one camera to gain something you like better in another camera

Xerxes Sangco
January 2nd, 2010, 04:22 AM
Thanks guys. I came to the conclusion that the best way to get the white balance you want is to carry around colored cards or something similar. I'm going to head to Home Depot to get paint samples haha.

Changing the colortemp in the scene files only seems to work with ATW enabled, even then the white balance seems to shift if I don't have my User preset on ATW Lock.

If anybody has any better solutions please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it!

-Xerxes

Barry Green
January 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
The COLOR TEMP setting can help you adjust somewhat on the kelvin scale, but I don't think anyone's gone through and verified exactly what color temperatures it adjusts to.

It won't work with a white balance preset, of course, because the preset is -- a preset. But it will work with ATW or with manual white balance.