View Full Version : What are some tips for shooting my first commercial with the HXP300?

Art White
January 16th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I'm going to shoot a 30 sec. commercial in February. My first one. I'm fortunate because my first client is a lawyer who doesn't have much direction. I'm practicing with a script and storyboard. I have shot some video in SD but not HD. I don't know much about the HXP300 because I just got it and I'm still learning. I have come far considering my background, but many thanks to this Forum, expecially Dan Brockett whom I wouldn't have bought the camera if it were not for his article. I have been reading alot.

Here's what I think, but throw advice at me...
I'll shoot 720-59.94p 30 fps
AVC 100/30pn
I have 2 32 gb P2 cards, Adobe On Location, Premiere CS4. I feel comfortable with this set up only because everything transfers from camera to editing in practice, and for a new person, who is very much a pattern person, that's important!

I made a quick first call to the TV station and they said they accept DVCpro. At the time I didn't know what they were talking about.

The commercial will be shot at the same location with about 5 sec. slow mo at the end with the two lawyers walking.

Any suggestions? I'll take them all and let you know how it went.
What questions should I ask the TV station?
Should I bother with the Scene File Settings?
I have a month to practice in my studio so I appreciate anything anyone wants to give me.

Thanks
Art

Gary Nattrass
January 19th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I assisted and provided the kit for a commercial last year, we shot it AVC intra 100 1920x1080i 25np and used a cinegamma scene file modified to BBC specifications, it was edited in final cut pro at pro res HQ and kept in this format till delivery on HDCAM-SR and digibeta for SD.

The main thing to consider with broadcasters is the levels of the sound and video and they should be able to give you a spec sheet. Most commercials or spots also have 12 frames of blank audio top and tail but they will also be able to advise you what they require.

If its like the UK you also need to make sure that the commercial concept and script complies with broadcasting standards but the production company should be aware of this.

I have two you tube clips for the commercial we made, the making of shot on a canon HF11 is here:YouTube - British Beef Jerky Shoot 7-8-09 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1o1aE9OkHw)
and the final commercial is here:YouTube - British Beef Jerky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEhVxHNRdz4&feature=related)

It was a tribute to a well known mel brooks film and they wanted a very warm look so we shot it with tungsten lights (4x red heads) but set the camera for daylight colour balance, no colour correction was used in post and the audio was dubbed by myself in pro tools. The music bed came from apple garage band so was copyright free.

Art White
January 19th, 2010, 08:26 PM
That was very nice. Thank you for sharing! Looked like it was fun to complete. What tripod did you use? I will use your advise when I call the station.
Thanks
Art

Gary Nattrass
January 20th, 2010, 03:27 AM
The tripod was just a manfrotto but I soon felt its limitations as it was mainly used with my Z7 and wasnt good enough. I now have two libec H50 heads and a variety of libec one and two stage sticks.

May go up to a 100mm bowl soon as the H50 is just on the edge of being suitable for the 301.