View Full Version : Firewire problem

Dale Guthormsen
January 27th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Good evening,

For some reason of late neither of my computers beep on when I plug in the fire wire to capture. I have tested my computer and it will read both of my canons I tested. Just says no device connected.

I dug out my old digital 8 camcorder from the dark ages and will not read it either.

Any ideas out there among you ???

Thanks,

Dale Guthormsen

Jo Ouwejan
January 28th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Dale,

You might have a fired FW . . . This may (does not happen always) have happened, when you plug in in hot. It happened to me once. Since then I always follow the advice to turn off the PC as well as the camcorder, when connecting or disconnecting.
It could be the FW of the cam or the FW of your PC that fried. Or it could only be the cable that's gone bad.
Find out which it is, by trying a different cable or another pc. I understand, that you already tried another cam and as this did not show an improvement, go try the other two possibilities.

Jo

Jeff Harper
January 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
If you have other firewire devices plugged in, disconnect them, see if that helps Dale.

Steven Feinstein
February 2nd, 2010, 10:28 PM
What type of computer and OS are you trying to connect to?

I run into the same issues using iMac running SnowLeopard 10.6.2

Dale Guthormsen
February 5th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone,

I did have a fire wire issue, solved it but stil had issues.

Unquestionably the firewire port is nonfunctional in my new camera. I have two jobs in the next few weeks that require two hd cameras, will shoot 60 i and down load through the canon, then off to sony for a fix!! Bit frustrating!

I may have inadvertantly hot plugged, a practice I avoid as a rule.

thanks,

dale

Jo Ouwejan
February 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Join the club . . . not to be proud of a membership, by the way.