John Chia
January 28th, 2010, 09:42 PM
if not specified on the form. does the release begin from
1) the date of signature , or
2) air date ?

thanks!

Garrett Low
January 28th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I thought that most contracts and agreements unless otherwise specified become effective the date executed which generally is accepted to be the date signed.

Just my understanding which has a high likelihood of being wrong since I'm not a lawyer

-Garrett

John Chia
January 28th, 2010, 10:44 PM
ah thank you! its logical that it begins on day of signature too

Paul Mailath
January 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Your question is only relevant if the release has a time period.

John Chia
January 30th, 2010, 12:28 PM
yes it does have a time period

Paul Mailath
January 30th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Oh - I haven't seen or signed one with a time period - that I can recall. If it's your release it might be simpler to remove the time reference.

What happens if you release the finished product 10 years down the track, or use part of the footage for something else much later. Arn't you restricting yourself unnecessarily?

John Chia
January 31st, 2010, 05:03 AM
the product is a broadcast commercial so the time period is actually 'necessary'

thank u all for the input. very much appreciated! ;-)

Steve House
January 31st, 2010, 08:16 AM
Why does the fact it's broadcast commercial make a time limit necessary? Virtually all of the releases I've seen, if they mention time at all, state it is a release in perpetuity, for any and all purposes. There's a difference between a release to use a person's likeness and a license of a copyrighted image to publish it. Licenses typically state the time limit and geographic limits for the publication but model/talent releases generally don't.