View Full Version : When record through camera, Volume?

Marcus Martell
February 1st, 2010, 03:58 AM
Hola,
last night i dragged my files in my Sony Vegas Timeline and i was kind dissapointed cause on a press conference i noticed that the wave on the audio track was very low. Maybe because the guy who recorded the event didn't set properly the volume meters.
What are your suggestions on the audio meters on a camera?They r supposed to don't go over and to don't go down over?
If somebody is recording through radio tx with lav the principal is the same?
Let me know
thx

Brian Drysdale
February 1st, 2010, 04:27 AM
You set the audio levels on a camera same as any audio recorder.

For a press conference I'd expect the speech levels on a digital recording to be around the -18 mark, certainly no more than -12. This is if you're setting the levels manually, the alternative is the automatic level control, where the camera does everything.

The recorded Radio mic levels are the same as hard wired mics, some radio mics send a ref tone to allow you to set the levels.

Could be the mic placement wasn't great and that's all he could achieve.

Marcus Martell
February 1st, 2010, 04:55 AM
When the levels should be higher than -12 db?
thank you 4 taking time to clarify theese aspects

Marcus

Brian Drysdale
February 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
Above -12db or -10 db is headroom depending on where you place your standard broadcast -8db ref tone: some recordists use -20db while others use -18db.

This gives you some room for transients, which analogue can handle, but when you hit the zero on digital you've got something unpleasant.