View Full Version : Color correction is there a easy way?

Bruce Phung
February 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I have a 30 minutes video with a lot of cuts on Vegas timeline and I've made a custom template for this specific color I like and saved it. I drag that custom template onto the video clip but I need to do that for every clips. Is there a way to do it once and the color will apply to all the clips?

Edward Troxel
February 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
If you want to modify all events on the same track, just drop the effect on the track header instead of the event. You can also apply it to that media in the project media. If you don't have other changes to the event, you can also drag it to one of the events, copy it, then select all the other events and "Paste Event Attributes".

Bruce Phung
February 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Edward,
That is exactly what I am looking for. Thank you.

Paul Cascio
February 12th, 2010, 03:27 PM
If you drop it on the Track Header, can you indiviually remove it from some events?

Adam Stanislav
February 12th, 2010, 03:31 PM
If you drop it on the Track Header, can you indiviually remove it from some events?

Not really.

Don Bloom
February 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
the track header affects everything on that track. Move the clips you DON'T want corrected to another track. Problem solved.

Paul Cascio
February 12th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Thanks. Sometimes the obvious solution is the most difficult to see.

Lisa Lopez
June 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I'm a novice at color correction in Vegas 8, as I'm sure you'll be able to tell from my question. I have only recently begun using video effects and when I try to do any color correcting, I have to do it in the preview screen. And it only works when I click on the preview screen and drag my mouse - when I do this, I get a little box which remains the orignal color and the rest of the preview screen is the color that I chose. A friend of mine told me that I don't need to do color correction in the preview screen anyway, but I still can't get the color correction to work. I read on another forum that the problem may be the "FX Bypass" on the preview toolbar? If I "uncheck" FX Bypass, will I be able to color correct the normal way??

Edward Troxel
June 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
The button above the preview screen that's a circle that's half dark and half light needs to be turned OFF. When it's turned on, you get what you're describing which lets you see how much the effect is changing how things look from the original. Turn it off and you will only see the corrected version.

Technically, you should do the color correcting on a calibrated external monitor. That will give you a more accurate correction. Don't forget that you also have the color scopes to help you as well.

Lisa Lopez
June 29th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Thank you!

David Seguin
June 30th, 2010, 08:33 PM
How do you calibrate the colors on a monitor? Is it as simple as using color bars to set it up? Is it easy for me to get a good calibration if I do it myself, or should I ask some kind of professional to do it?

Adam Stanislav
July 1st, 2010, 07:00 AM
How do you calibrate the colors on a monitor?

Personally I use the Datacolor Spyder3Studio. You just hang it over your monitor, run its software, and when you are done, you cannot believe your eyes how much better your monitor looks.

Harry Simpson
July 2nd, 2010, 09:12 AM
I use the Huey Pro from Pantone and it works well.